• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2022

First visit to motorway pond today, I had two tench and two bream, losing two tench to hook pulls in the lillies (one of which was 7lb+😬).

Biggest tench landed was just over 5lb and biggest bream was 6lb 6oz. Not bad for a first go, lovely lake with plenty of features.

My Dad didnt have a bite till last few hours and then he smashed it, 4 bream and 4 tench landed, 2 of each lost in the lillies too. His biggest tench was 6lb and bream about the same.

20220509_140459.jpg

20220509_160754.jpg

20220509_153854.jpg

20220509_190551.jpg

First visit to motorway pond today, I had two tench and two bream, losing two tench to hook pulls in the lillies (one of which was 7lb+😬).

Biggest tench landed was just over 5lb and biggest bream was 6lb 6oz. Not bad for a first go, lovely lake with plenty of features.

My Dad didnt have a bite till last few hours and then he smashed it, 4 bream and 4 tench landed, 2 of each lost in the lillies too. His biggest tench was 6lb and bream about the same.

View attachment 19234
View attachment 19235
View attachment 19236
View attachment 19237
Great Day Josh. Dad looks pleased for sure. I remember reading much about Motorway Pond (assume the same) back in the 70’s. I think it would have been Kevin Clifford behind the pen but happy to stand corrected.

Well done Josh, what tactics did you employ ?
Thanks Mike, love it when the first visit to a new water goes so well.

I was initially going to go with helicopter rigged mag feeders but after you mentioned it was hit and miss I opted for one rod on inline mag feeder and one on straight lead with a small 12mm krill popup. Lost the 2 tench on mag feeder but landed one and had the 2 bream and 1 tench on popup. Looking at the map we where fishing the 2 pegs on "rat island".
20220509_165949.jpg

Yes, know that area Josh, it's a bit shallower than further away from the motorway. I've been mainly fishing back bay from the swims on the peninsula. Some super spots all round the lake though.

Dead right Bill, Mr Clifford has been a major contributor in HDAA for many years. Motorway is a beautiful bit of water, but it can be very frustrating at times.
Thanks for confirming Mike. 👍 Agree it looks a lovely bit of water from Josh’s photo.

Disappointment when I arrived at the lake this morning, the area I wanted to fish and part of the lake I’ve had 90% of my fish this season was choc a bloc. Mostly carp boys but at least two after the Tench so I went to an area where I caught a few last season. Alas! I was there but the fish were not. Packed up about 3pm, damp, windswept and fish less ☹️

Had my first trip to linear targeting the tench. Although no monsters showed, I did manage three tincas, biggest this 6.12 and a rogue carp in the 24hr session. Two falling to three red maggots, the other and the carp falling to worms
Really nice picture Carl. Shows Tinca in all its glory 👍👍

Had my first trip to linear targeting the tench. Although no monsters showed, I did manage three tincas, biggest this 6.12 and a rogue carp in the 24hr session. Two falling to three red maggots, the other and the carp falling to worms
Hi Carl, did you book online? As I'm wanting to try linear. I've always been put of by people I know, who have gone and not been able to get a swim, once there.

Hi Carl, did you book online? As I'm wanting to try linear. I've always been put of by people I know, who have gone and not been able to get a swim, once there.
I did book online for the reason you mentioned. About 20 years ago I fished St Johns with some friends and said I would never go again, it was rammed and not my type of fishing. Having recently noticed a couple of the lakes are bookable and the potential of the tench fishing I thought I would give it another go. I fished Hunts, as you have about an acre to each angler, 10 pegs on there. The time I went, there was only 5 on and no one next to me. You can also book Manor, which is probably better known for its tench fishing. For info I would definitely go back on one of these two lakes, not sure about the others, heard to many horror stories👍 Good luck if you go.

Good Luck Simon. Look forward to your experiences 👍👍

Thanks Bill, hopefully I'll have some fish and pictures like yours to post up. If not, at least I'll enjoy the break, which I'm probably looking forward to as much as the fishing.

Back on the fish today. Arrived at the pit at about 5:30am to find just one angler on my favourite bank. Almost too much to choose from but elected to fish the last swim in the northeast corner of the lake. Breeze was forecast to be light southerly swinging to a slightly brisker southwesterly. Baits were out by 6am with a good bed of hemp and dead maggots delivered from the feeder. Had to wait ‘till 8:15am for my first Tinca of the day. Second fish came very quickly afterwards at 8:35am and was a cracking 8lb 2oz female. I caught steadily ‘till 12:20 when the bites dried up. I fished on ‘till 3pm but was baking in the sun so called it a day. Nine fish in total, 1 x 8lb. 6 x 5lb+ 1 x 4lb and 1 x 3lb.

F6E20DA3-A1B8-4772-A110-E3F97ADA922A.jpeg
Photo taken using whistle app on my iPhone. Only second time I’ve used it in anger but quite pleased with the result.

Back