• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tackle that has gone up in value

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Following on from the Pete Reading reel thread......what item/s of tackle do you wish you had bought to make a good profit?

Limited to last 30 years or so.

Not what you aspire to. Just to make money.

I will start with 5000 xtea reels.
Got 6 for myself and pals at £75 new. Probably £140 for new one now.

a boxed set of floats won in a Barbel Society auction , made by Chris Lythe . It took the mandatory 2 years before they arrived , priceless .

I bought two Okuma Aventa Pro centrepins for just under £80 ea (now £120), and two Swallow pins a few years before at just over £50 ea!
I still have the Okuma's but let the Swallows go for £100 each some time ago with no regrets as they were the Mk1 version with the leather pad drum brake ;)

Three of use bought Swallow pins the ones like kingpins at the end of a barbel society show some years ago from Hans Juhkental who took over the tooling from Dave Swallow ( I think). We did a deal because it was the end of the day. My Reel was set up for float fishing only for someone who did not collect. We paid £105 each,they fetch stupid money now. I think he then went on to make the Pete reading reels. Also Coch y bonddu books sold Hardback copies of Somewhere down the crazy river for £5 each in their sale a long time ago . I bought 3 and gave one to a mate again stupid money now. Paul Boote sold signed copies on here cheap too (£30?)

i had an uncle (and my bestest fishing buddy)whom for years always bought the best of any fishing tackle,numerous hardy marksmans,every edward barder rod & centrepin,many many of garry mills centrepins,bruce & walker hexagraphs,leather 1st edition books aka yates,...you name it,he always told me They would very rarely lose their value & in many cases increase in value,only now older & wiser do i really understand his mentality,unfortunetly he recently passed away but has left his family some very very valuable investments to admire...shrewd shrewd man

Just to add his very last fish...15.1 on an edward barder rod & centrepin,a nice although sadly premature way to bow out

Attachments

• 8FB92188-9B38-4288-8CAA-B8EA9444ED10.jpeg
    8FB92188-9B38-4288-8CAA-B8EA9444ED10.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 332
Any normark rod before they were taken over by masterline

Not tackle I know but some books are silly money “waiting for waddle” goes for around £400

Hi men ,

Funny , I just found a nashy titan extreme winter overwrap , including the support bar , think I only used it a couple of times years ago , think that gone up .

Hatter

Three of use bought Swallow pins the ones like kingpins at the end of a barbel society show some years ago from Hans Juhkental who took over the tooling from Dave Swallow ( I think). We did a deal because it was the end of the day. My Reel was set up for float fishing only for someone who did not collect. We paid £105 each,they fetch stupid money now. I think he then went on to make the Pete reading reels. Also Coch y bonddu books sold Hardback copies of Somewhere down the crazy river for £5 each in their sale a long time ago . I bought 3 and gave one to a mate again stupid money now. Paul Boote sold signed copies on here cheap too (£30?)
If we're including angling books, I have quite a good collection, with some making well in excess of their original rrp. I bought SDCR from Paul Boote from a PAC conference in the 90's. I paid Paul about £17 for it and sold it years later for £195. I heard that Jeremy Wade and Paul Boote had to bin a load of unsold books that later went on to fetch the silly prices that they did.

Regarding tackle. I can't say I've made money. However, I've bought quality items over the years that hold their value. For example, I own Harrison rods that were purchased in 1997, that would fetch more now than I paid for them. But not by much. Especially when taking inflation into account.

I've bought quite a number of rods and reels that have theoretically increased in value. However, as I rarely part with anything, especially the best stuff, it's all rather academic.

Early Drennan Tench Float and Super Tench Float rods. Quite reasonable prices at one time, then went through a period of high prices. Tended to have stabilised now.
Cheers Bob

I have an ABU 503 closed face reel with spare spool that i bought back in 1966? To replace an aged Mitchell closed face reel and also bought a cane topped Avon rod to replace my tank aerial rod that caught a lot of roach on the Taff back in the day. The ABU is still in use today and has caught many tench, carp and pike over the years but is now reserved for special occasions. As I was an impoverished student when i bought it back in the 60s, i cannot imagine that i paid much more than £20 for rod and reel. It was of course built in Sweden rather than what bit of the Far East they come from today.

I have an ABU 503 closed face reel with spare spool that i bought back in 1966? To replace an aged Mitchell closed face reel and also bought a cane topped Avon rod to replace my tank aerial rod that caught a lot of roach on the Taff back in the day. The ABU is still in use today and has caught many tench, carp and pike over the years but is now reserved for special occasions. As I was an impoverished student when i bought it back in the 60s, i cannot imagine that i paid much more than £20 for rod and reel. It was of course built in Sweden rather than what bit of the Far East they come from today.
As you say, the Abu closed face reels (& cardinals and Ambassadeurs) were well made at that time; up until the early 80's when the manufacturing went to the far east. Even the toby lures went 'far east made' and you could tell in the metal density and downturn in 'catching ability'. I still have the Tight Lines catalogues from the 70's. I was young at the time and couldn't afford Abu tackle such as the reels.

I have to confess to being a bit of a hoarder and just enjoy greatly old books and tackle! Never purchased anything to make a profit, just to enjoy them - have quite a few very old first editions and bespoke old rods and pins, but when I take the chance again to read them or to look at them, I can do nothing but think about the history of them. With the books in particular you can smell the history behind them!

As you say, the Abu closed face reels (& cardinals and Ambassadeurs) were well made at that time; up until the early 80's when the manufacturing went to the far east. Even the toby lures went 'far east made' and you could tell in the metal density and downturn in 'catching ability'. I still have the Tight Lines catalogues from the 70's. I was young at the time and couldn't afford Abu tackle such as the reels.
Those ABU catalogues fetch good money now , I saw an early one sell for £70!

Back