• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Supposed Ray Walton claim??

Perhaps the most singe positive thing we can do is the rest the Barbel in the net before lifting out to unhook. However the bankside kit for many now includes self take kits which cannot help the welfare of Barbel.

If Ray is right then there needs to be a great deal of soul searching.

Agreed

Adams Mill - Fish harassed - lots of trophy shots - out of water for more than 30 seconds - become brain damaged - don't recognise otters - fishery dead.

I would suggest a lot of the Adams Mill barbel moved on...quite some distances for some.Granted some were killed but others took flight because of pressure and predation...so their natural instincts for survival were not compromised by repeat captures.

Or got old and died, as everything does.......
Funny how it's always massive, old fish that get eaten by otters and never small, younger fish.

Or got old and died, as everything does.......
Funny how it's always massive, old fish that get eaten by otters and never small, younger fish.

Two reasons for that. (1) When they get 'Massive and old', they can't move as fast, so they are easier to catch....incredible as that may sound. (2) In cases like Adams mill, water quality and other issues has lead to dangerously low recruitment, hence the 'Massive old' fish were, in places, pretty well the only fish left.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men ,

Hmmmmm , except the bit I fished very close to AM was throwing up ottered carcasses of smaller "faster" fish .

Hatter

If Ray is right then there needs to be a great deal of soul searching.

This is the key bit and unless RW has some incredible financial backing to conduct some pretty ground breaking research then it's pure conjecture.

This is the key bit and unless RW has some incredible financial backing to conduct some pretty ground breaking research then it's pure conjecture.

Precisely

I didn't post this to put Ray down.... I just wanted his opinion, and knowing Ray I'm sure he will have a fairly scientific reason.

he has done plenty of groundbreaking research into barbel reaching back around 45 years or more, dunno why some appear as to be putting the man down, maybe more into the thread than meets the eye maybe not, either way the man is a wealth of knowledge and has always disclosed it on bfw very willingly and i see no reason to knock a guy whos always been ready to help, have a good unbiased look at this thread and then wonder why he doesn,t reply, find something constructive to discuss may be a bettersoltion:(

If you wanted rays opinion why not message him privatly on here as the title, supposed ray walton claim does not sound right to me.
Andy

Just look at who started this debacle and that should be enough to leave well alone. IF Ray said anything at all, it would have been the right and proper thing to address Ray personally. Ray is a member on here, but rarely posts now, not surprising is it?

OP=IGNORE:)

That's a bit harsh!
14,000 plus views from 2 threads suggests otherwise!

In the absence of a response/comment from Ray, let's take the example of football. Every time you head a ball it damages your brain cells...fact. Now because the damage each time is infinitesimally small, it doesn't stop everyone from doing it (at the moment). However, long term damage when it's repeated over and over has recently been linked with degenerative brain disease:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/01/football-heading-brain-damage

My point is, that whilst a lack of oxygen may cause damage to fish (evidence is needed to back this up) it may be very small indeed. Nonetheless, it is damage per se. In such circumstances will it stop us from spending longer than 30 secs getting a trophy shot? I very much doubt it, unless it can be shown to have a massive impact on a fish's well-being. In the meantime if we follow the general advice for fish care, all should be OK until proven otherwise.

If you wanted rays opinion why not message him privatly on here as the title, supposed ray walton claim does not sound right to me.
Andy

Because this is a forum.......about ......barbel! A forum where you DISCUSS matters relating to BARBEL.

I can't make it any clearer than that I'm afraid Andy!:rolleyes:

Just look at who started this debacle and that should be enough to leave well alone. IF Ray said anything at all, it would have been the right and proper thing to address Ray personally. Ray is a member on here, but rarely posts now, not surprising is it?

OP=IGNORE:)

Cheers mate xx

Jeff, Neil, can't you 2 just get married and invite us all to the wedding. I,ll even use hemp/caster instead of confetti, and buy you a 2 man bivvie, with 1 sleeping bag as a wedding prezzie. ;):D

Come on guys, get a grip, life is too short. Tight lines to you both. :)

And as for Ray's " supposed " comment, if he said it, it wasn't without a thorough investigation/research. I have the utmost respect for the man. He is barbel through and through. There can't be many on here, with more experience/knowledge than Ray.

Jeff, Neil, can't you 2 just get married and invite us all to the wedding. I,ll even use hemp/caster instead of confetti, and buy you a 2 man bivvie, with 1 sleeping bag as a wedding prezzie. ;):D

Come on guys, get a grip, life is too short. Tight lines to you both. :)

And as for Ray's " supposed " comment, if he said it, it wasn't without a thorough investigation/research. I have the utmost respect for the man. He is barbel through and through. There can't be many on here, with more experience/knowledge than Ray.

Don't now what he is saying Derek, don't want to know, much better that way:)

Forget all the other stuff too mate, the comments about his meat and creases is enough for one week I reckon.:eek:

But your comment regarding Ray's supposed comment based on thorough research, well I don't know about that, just how you monitor the effect on barbels brain as a result of exceeding the 30 second rule I don't know. However he is very thorough in everything he does, witness luncheon meat and it's effects on the Barbel's 'sexualisation' report, a real gem.
But of course unless Ray does explain his theory then we can only speculate, but perhaps take heed as well, as common sense will dictate that any fish out of the water is not ideal for it's welfare.
The problem is not with the more experienced anglers, barbel handling should take priority, the reports I have from Birmingham AA officials of belly up Barbel on the Warks Avon is depressing. I have shared a peg with a dead Barbel this summer, it it made feel quite sick.
If we on here can't promote the Barbel welfare who can or will? as I said forget the selfie shot, it could be the the reason less experienced anglers are killing mature fish. Keep it in the net,weigh piccy and return if you have to.

Back