• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Supposed Ray Walton claim??

its because of comments like this one that ray dont post much on here now, us bfw guys lost a lot of info that continuously came from ray (thanks Ray)
too much backbiting where none was neccesary:(

That's what I thought John, if there was a question 'Jeff Collins' had about what apparently Ray had said, he should have asked Ray, not demean him with this thread.

STEVE STAYNER ANOTHER QUALITY ANGLER STOPPED POSTING ON HERE DUE TO INSULTS ETC AND IM SURE MANY MANY MAN Y OTHERS FROM THE EARLY DAYS OF BFW.

Jeff Collins=AREA MANAGER=SPENDS ALL HIS TIME ON HERE AND LUCKY HIM MANAGES TO FISH ALL THE TIME.DOES HE ACTUALLY DO ANY WORK.

SORRY BUT HAD TO PIPE UP..

P

MH

Anyway back on topic, I suppose it's possible seeing as we are starving them of oxygen of sorts. That said they don't have much of a brain to damage so I'm not convinced. Yet.

'IF' he does believe that being out of the water for more than 30 seconds is enough to cause barbel brain damage (and yes how can that be diagnosed?) then presumably he has given up barbel fishing?

I'm not convinced either rhy's. Hence why I'd like to be put straight by Ray

Back in the olden days they probably thought it was possible to curb what was considered ungodly urges but I think its now generally accepted you cant. So probably not worth bothering Ray with this.

Back in the olden days they probably thought it was possible to curb what was considered ungodly urges but I think its now generally accepted you cant. So probably not worth bothering Ray with this.

He he:)

Hi men,

Unless you unhook every single fish you catch in the water resting in a landing net , no mater what species , then it's doubtful anyone can meet the 30 second rule . And to add to that , surely the last thing we need is a discussion about the possibility of it happening , when anti-everything look to find a reason to attack angling . Just caught a 21lb mirror , rested in the net , quick pic , but more than 30 seconds . That fish is an old warrior , swam off with the hump , but strongly .

Hatter

Clearly fish species vary in their tolerance to hypoxia both in and out of the water. Crucian carp in particular are legendary for long survival out of the water as well as in water where there just isn't enough oxygen for any other species. Goldfish similar but to a lesser extent.

At the other extreme we have trout. A Canadian study with rainbow trout cited in N. American publication 'Field and Stream' in 1996 supposedly found that when rainbow trout were deliberately played to exhaustion on light tackle, then released after unhooking, 88% of those that never left the water were alive 3 days later, 73% of those held in the air for 30 seconds before release were alive 3 days later, and only 40% of those held in the air for 60 seconds before return were alive 3 days later. If this seems like an extreme attrition rate, well yes it does to me too and it was a study that was being used to argue for better fish care by anglers

Even though they need huge amounts of oxygen to thrive, barbel seem much hardier than that to me (they can after all survive in ponds, and will not all go belly up in low oxygen conditions like rainbow trout in commercials do) ... but scientific evidence is hard to find.

some fish just get caught a lot, sometimes as they are getting old its an easy meal. I have caught a Barbel had the devils own job getting it happy in the water before i could let it go. It swam down into the weed in front of me. 10 mins later was eating the pellets i threw it. It just was not bothered by being caught. Known a few fish like that and i do not believe its any sort of brain damage personally. As they get caught year after year i wouldnt expect them to survive if they suffered damage each time....look at the "traveller" spent more time on the bank than it did in the water once it became the record.

The Trent so a massive river with a good head of Barbel. Obviously lots are caught, during the summer months without too much controversy, I will say they take some abuse. Over the years I have only ever seen one fish go belly up. Apart from the ones I have caught i have only seen one barbel float past me. You would think the abuse some of these fish get plus the amount caught I would surely see more dead fish float past me.

Adams Mill - Fish harassed - lots of trophy shots - out of water for more than 30 seconds - become brain damaged - don't recognise otters - fishery dead.

Perhaps the most singe positive thing we can do is the rest the Barbel in the net before lifting out to unhook. However the bankside kit for many now includes self take kits which cannot help the welfare of Barbel.

If Ray is right then there needs to be a great deal of soul searching.

Back