• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Strange catch....

Caught a car hub cap at Atcham years ago, proper bite it was too !!!!

Steve.

I wonder if that was off the 3 series BMW which floated past me in a flood below Atcham about 15 years ago.

I hooked a motorcycle gauntlet once while night fishing and thought it was a dismembered hand I also got tangled with a huge length of line once while playing a carp and ended up landing two carp from one cast.

I wonder if that was off the 3 series BMW which floated past me in a flood below Atcham about 15 years ago.

I hooked a motorcycle gauntlet once while night fishing and thought it was a dismembered hand I also got tangled with a huge length of line once while playing a carp and ended up landing two carp from one cast.
what the whole car!
what line?

Yep the whole car, I never hooked it; it was 2/3 under water with just the back above the water, I just stood with my mouth open and watched it gently spin and bob in the current as it made its way serenely downstream.

My strangest catch has got to be a bar stool caught from the Trent arm at Torskey whilst lure fishing & on Barbel gear a Bomber jacket.

Yep the whole car, I never hooked it; it was 2/3 under water with just the back above the water, I just stood with my mouth open and watched it gently spin and bob in the current as it made its way serenely downstream.
not a M3 E30?
no.

A sack full of drown kittens in the Birmingham canal at Stratford Upon Avon, near the basin.
This was in the 1950's before The canal had been renovated for navigation.
Nice!
Bob

watched a guy playing a big fish on the kennet for ages, the harder he pulled the harder it pulled back. eventually it all went slack and he reeled in a bicycle inner tube - I pi**ed myself, but he didn't see the funny side !

At Fishers Green about 7 years ago I hooked a Seymo bait dropper neatly through one of holes, and still using it to day.
Some time ago my mate had a Great Crested Grebe on a ledgered sprat that was meant for Pike in Whyke Lake, Chichester. It was returned alive and kicking.

I once caught a spark plug and another time I had a Police Evidence Bag (the latter gave quite a good account of itself thanks to the current!)

I once caught a black holdall with a lock on every zip, it contained Primark T-shirts and track suit trousers, about ten packets of dried fruit and nuts and an unused ticket to Pakistan for a flight which had left a week before.
I phoned the police who came and took it away after telling me off for opening it, I never heard another thing.

Nearly forgot...cast over a Black Bird and to managed to coax him in without hooking, returned unharmed...but one angry bird :)

A friend of mine hooked and played a coromorant on dead bait. The dead bait was taken in at least 15' of water. The "bird" was netted but unfortunately "catch & release" was the order of the day, too many interested parties about.

Perhaps Stephen Scaysbrook might share his catch of a lifetime with you. As Max Boyce would say, "I was there!"

Was fishing the Jungle at Bury Hill a couple of years ago right on the edge form a punt . There was a guy asleep bivvied up on the bank who had been trying his hardest to chuck round the corner to get to where the boats can go. My friend was reeling in and as he lifted his float gear to the boat brought this guys terminal tackle with it . Im not sure why his buzzers didnt sound as it came up but it didnt. So we sat there in the boat wondering what to do. Out come a packet of Fruit Pastilles and onto the hook goes an Orange one (not blackcurrant obviously as they are my favourite). Several strong yanks on the line and the buzzers go mad, he leaps out of the bivvy and strikes and then reels in ....then to his pal in the next swim ....F### Me Bob I ve only had a run and caught a Fruit Pastille !! We very nearly fell out of the boat !!

While fishing on the Ebro a few years ago,
A friend of mine who posts on here:D:D
Hooked into a fish which he skillfully played towards his waiting landing net,
As the fish came near to his net, and i quote "it's kiting under the overhanging bush"
Well he managed to land it,
The result was a dead rotting carp into double figures, which was hooked in the mouth:D:D:D:D
I still pi:eek::eek: myself every time i recall that moment, even have a photo somewhere of the "catch" or what was left of it:):):)

Cheers

Carl

Some great tales here . I was fishing the Swale one very dark,wet and windy November evening on a rapidly rising river . Out of the blue the rod hooped round , Yes ! I'm in .The 'fish' on the rod just kept on going, I couldn't turn it and the rod was reaching a critical curve . Flicked on my headtorch and there in the swirling maelstrom was a huge and very dead ewe attached to my line . Happy days :D

Back