• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stillwater barbel fishing 2010

I did find it interesting to see my old pal "pile it in" Bob Roberts take on the issue Ray raised regarding Steve Pope.

"Of course, we all know what the agenda really is. It’s a cheap and nasty way of trying to undermine the integrity of an individual in a way we only ever see on the Internet forums. Frankly it’s cowardice personified."

This fishing lark makes strange bedfellows.

Graham

fished a charity match at monks lake 2 and no barbel were aught that day, carp and silvers only and the odd chub. really don't think that many 'match' men there were bothered with that as the general view was they fight too hard and take too long to get in compared to carp of similar weight, even with 20 elastics. just seems wrong to me and hopefully it's a trend that will pass. buy the way, no otters here in kent so could we have some more barbel stoked here in the stour and medway?

fished a charity match at monks lake 2 and no barbel were aught that day, carp and silvers only and the odd chub. really don't think that many 'match' men there were bothered with that as the general view was they fight too hard and take too long to get in compared to carp of similar weight, even with 20 elastics. just seems wrong to me and hopefully it's a trend that will pass. buy the way, no otters here in kent so could we have some more barbel stoked here in the stour and medway?

Dear God...the poor barbel have enough problems, without you trying to get them shovelled them into a boiler :eek:

:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Lol. Stocked. I really should read what I wright before hitting the button;)

I'd ask if it was possible for me to join your Stillwater Barbel Catchers Club, as last summer I caught a 10lb 6oz specimen from a pit that runs along side the river Windrush.
Trouble being I was tench fishing, so it wasn't caught by design, so it dunt count IMO, but if I catch one from Billy's, I'll be sure to apply for my membership.:D:D:D

Should also add it was in immaculate condition. I'd put its fighting qualities at 90% of a river dwelling barbel, same as a river carp or tench out fights its stillwater counterparts.

I'm not saying its right to stock barbel into stillwaters but to many river only anglers seem so oblivious as to what most stillwaters actually are, THEY'RE NOT ALL 2 ACRE STAGNANT PUDDY PUDDLES!!:rolleyes:

Found this thread from four years ago, our main concern then was still water Barbel, a lot has happened in that time

i am strongly against still waters stocking barbel, so strong in fact that i joined a syndicate water nr cardiff only to find barbel were present there, 1 days fishing for the price of a years syndicate fees, i just wont fork out cash to fish waters like this:(

oh and all those who think i was wrong about otters, how do you think now, all the bull about apex predators, theres only one apex predator and its called MAN
and as far as this one goes every dead otter is a goodun

oh and all those who think i was wrong about otters, how do you think now, all the bull about apex predators, theres only one apex predator and its called MAN
and as far as this one goes every dead otter is a goodun

Wow John, that's a nice measured response. So you believe that we should eliminate all otters in the country because that's of benefit to us anglers? Are barbel anglers more Apex than other men- otter lovers for example? We could I suppose organise a battle to determine who is the most Apex out of all the Apex predators. I would certainly fancy our chances, especially if the rules of engagement meant that in battle, our weapons had to be connected in some way to our cause. I've got an array of very pointy bank sticks and fierce catapults that ought to be highly effective during combat. Otter lovers will presumably try and disarm us by reciting poetry or hitting us over the head with salad leaves and organic bread sticks. I could have your average otter lover any day of the week.

Howard , you can do a lot of damage with a stale organic bread stick , be warned . As for the Apex , Apex angler , gotta be the Salmon boys and girls , on their posh beats they have chaps who '' discourage '' Otters in a gentlemanly way , i.e. quietly , or so they say ......

Howard, put down your weapons...they're not needed. You'll surely kill or conquer them all with your razor sarcasm:)

ATVBA
Terry

a stale organic bread stick

In my experience Mike, when faced with a cos wielding aggressor, organic or not, my breadstick simply hasn't got the strength, if it's stale then it is even more crumblier. A large organic marrow on the other hand, possibly stuffed with concrete...

In fact Mike, IF YOU WANT AN ARGUMENT, I'd suggest that fresh breadsticks are probably a better weapon than stale ones. ORGANIC OR NOT.

Back