• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spopper wanted

Mine arrived today, and with never having used anything like a spod or a spomb before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Well, it's superb. Just the right size, not too big, and I can also see myself using it for the odd Bream sessions I sometimes do.

Just one question. What TC of rod would I need to cast it out ?? I've weighed the spopper, and it comes in at 3.5oz. I'd imagine fully loaded it'll be 5oz or thereabouts depending on the contents of course.

What rod would you use to cast out a 6oz feeder?

I use an 11ft 3lb test curve carp rod (just because I have one available), but would be okay with using my 2.25lb barbel rod if I was not trying to cast the spopper over to the far side of the Trent.

What rod would you use to cast out a 6oz feeder?

I use an 11ft 3lb test curve carp rod (just because I have one available), but would be okay with using my 2.25lb barbel rod if I was not trying to cast the spopper over to the far side of the Trent.

The only rod I have, a Greys Prodigy Barbel 2lb TC. But wouldn't want to use it to continuously cast a spopper out with it. I wrongly assumed people used a dedicated spod rod, sorry.

No need to be sorry, you use what you have.

According to the Cadence website, the 2lb test curve CR10 Barbel Rod (Des Taylor model) is suitable for casting 6oz, it doesn't differentiate what the weight is, so could be anything from a feeder to a lead to a spopper.

The only rod I have, a Greys Prodigy Barbel 2lb TC. But wouldn't want to use it to continuously cast a spopper out with it. I wrongly assumed people used a dedicated spod rod, sorry.
Just take it easy and it will be ok. You ain’t launching it 50 yards with a 2lb rod but you’ll lob it 15-20 if you go carefully.

i can hit the far bank on the river severn with a 2.25lb rod with ease 👍

Mine arrived today, and with never having used anything like a spod or a spomb before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Well, it's superb. Just the right size, not too big, and I can also see myself using it for the odd Bream sessions I sometimes do.

Just one question. What TC of rod would I need to cast it out ?? I've weighed the spopper, and it comes in at 3.5oz. I'd imagine fully loaded it'll be 5oz or thereabouts depending on the contents of course.
got mine 2/3rds accross tidal with ease,13ft 2.5 tc

got a 12 ft 2.5 tc carp rod, what strength line/braid to be safe ? And should it be cast, or lobbed ?
I use 40lb braid on a reel that I only use for Spodding and using my Deeper Chirp+.

As for casting it would depend on the total weight, but I would suspect the midi ones that Andy sells would be about 5-7oz depending on filler material, I expect I would be happy enough using it to cast across the Trent if required, but usually for the Severn I don't find it too much of an issue, they are just a weight, albeit in a bigger package than a normal lead but, much more aerodynamic than a large feeder.

I also have a 15" length of 28lb braided wire between the braid and both the spopper and the sonar, I don't want a pike taking a liking to them as I am bringing them back in.
Don’t you use a shock leader with those items Eddie?
What if it actually was heading for the far bank and you had to stop it mid flight.
im not a braid expert but I’d imagine a fully loaded spopper or a deeper could crack 40lb braid off dead easy if ground to a halt.

but I would suspect the midi ones that Andy sells

The ones sold in the shop are converted mini Chinese spombs..well the one I received last week was .
No one makes smaller spombs than the size I received..
I was unfortunately under the impression that they were the larger of the two sizes that come from China too .

As for rods and line specs.
For Carp fishing I use a 3lb test carp rod, budget Dorisea extreme braid 30lb test with a 30lb mono leader just for finger protection on the cast and a so called Midi (actually the Chinese don't make them any larger so should really be classed as large ) Chinese spomb, completely filled with hemp and hemp sludge.
This set up chucks 80yds effortlessly and 100+ with a bit of exertion without a problem.
I would have no qualms of using a 2.5 test rod, 20lb braid with leader finger protection or finger stall with the item I was supplied with from the shop...I'll probably use it for long range feeder fishing on the lochs.
Scrn044.jpg

Back