• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spicing up meat

Ben Jennings

Fancy adding a bit of a kick to my spam. What's the best way to do it? Is it a case of cut the meat up pop it in a bag and leave it? Or I have been told to freeze it, or fry it? Any methods work best? What sort of flavours and spices would you recommend adding to it?

Doing just that right now, I cut the meat up into different size cubes for variety, and pit in some whatever the missus has in the cupboard, to-day it was curry powder and smoked paprika, mix meat and flavouring in a sandwitch bag, give a good shake and freeze. The unfreezing is supposed to absorb all the flavouring and colour into the meat.

Out of garlic oil so about to pop down Morrisons.:)

A cheaper alternative to Spam is hot dog's use 2/3'' pieces and use a baiting needle to secure along the length.

In my opinion meat is above all other the king pf baits for Barbel.

Doing just that right now, I cut the meat up into different size cubes for variety, and pit in some whatever the missus has in the cupboard, to-day it was curry powder and smoked paprika, mix meat and flavouring in a sandwitch bag, give a good shake and freeze. The unfreezing is supposed to absorb all the flavouring and colour into the meat.

Out of garlic oil so about to pop down Morrisons.:)

A cheaper alternative to Spam is hot dog's use 2/3'' pieces and use a baiting needle to secure along the length.

In my opinion meat is above all other the king pf baits for Barbel.

Agreed.

Do they still do garlic spam? Few ideas there thanks chaps. It does seem meat is now a underused bait when I'm on the bank it's all pellets and boiles from what I see.

try
lightly frying the meat in curry/paprika in toughens the bait up as well as absorbing the taste/aroma.

tried that last year and got in a world of grief for having the house smelling like the local curry house for a week :D

You should try both spicy curry/tandoori flavoured meat and a garlic flavoured meat,keep them in separate bags.About 10 years ago a friend and myself fished a water both upstreaming/rolling meat.I fished through a number of swims without a pull on my very reliable Garlic flavoured meat,my mate did not realise i had fished these swims and started fishing them shortly afterwards and started catching barbel,the difference was that day they wanted spiced curry/tandoori and not the garlic, i nicked some of his bait and started catching,he tried mine and did no get a bite.Yet on other days the Garlic was what they wanted,and he nicked my bait.Since that day i cover both bases if fishing meat.

Do they still do garlic spam? Few ideas there thanks chaps. It does seem meat is now a underused bait when I'm on the bank it's all pellets and boiles from what I see.

They do but the new version isn't as good as the "Stinky French Garlic" one they used to do. Meat has worked well for me this season even in the low water conditions that prevailed until recently.

I would second that Steve , the new garlic spam does lack the wow factor in terms of pungency compared to the original but it is easy enough to stink it up a bit . Still my all round favourite barbel bait though :)

I just add garlic salt and crushed garlic to roughly cut pieces add to a sealable bag give it a shake then freeze.
It is very very stinky!!! ;)

Dave

try
lightly frying the meat in curry/paprika in toughens the bait up as well as absorbing the taste/aroma.

My wife did this for me once to see if it worked and added paprika, garam masala,curry powder and turmeric.
I fished a flooded river swale in January and caught 3 barbel the biggest bang on 10lb. So if Jules says she has an idea for bait i usually go with it :)

Dave

Back