• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spicing up meat

When I use meat I tend to fish it in accordance to the conditions. ie , the more coloured the water the larger and more smellier the bait gets. I use garlic powder / salt to flavour it for winter and add curry powder or something like Cajun spice to pep it up further for when the water is really coloured / flood conditions.

To hair rig meat I use a cut down length of cotton bud tube. Just cut it to fit the size of meat you are fishing and push it into the centre of the meat. Then put your baiting needle up the tube and thread onto the hair. I then use a Fox pellet stop to secure the meat. The idea behind the narrow cotton bud tube is that it prevents your hair ( usually braid ) from 'cheese wiring' through the meat on the cast. Particularly effective if you are gonna chuck it any distance.

Just prepared myself a load ready for next week. Ive done one bag of Garlic Spam with extra garlic salt and ive fried up a load with Thai Fish sauce. Both smell rather yummy!

Knowing my luck, the colour will drop out just as im starting to catch on it!

Duncans idea prompts me to suggest,,,
Got some old rig tubing which I dug out other night ,prob 8 years old,slightest pull it broke,so no good for abrasion resistance but prob ideal for threading thro meat.

When I use meat I tend to fish it in accordance to the conditions. ie , the more coloured the water the larger and more smellier the bait gets. I use garlic powder / salt to flavour it for winter and add curry powder or something like Cajun spice to pep it up further for when the water is really coloured / flood conditions.

To hair rig meat I use a cut down length of cotton bud tube. Just cut it to fit the size of meat you are fishing and push it into the centre of the meat. Then put your baiting needle up the tube and thread onto the hair. I then use a Fox pellet stop to secure the meat. The idea behind the narrow cotton bud tube is that it prevents your hair ( usually braid ) from 'cheese wiring' through the meat on the cast. Particularly effective if you are gonna chuck it any distance.

I like the cotton bud idea Duncan, it's better than using shrink tube.

Dave

Ok, I'll put my tuppence worth in as everyone has there own spin on meat.

I don't cube meat anymore it's so square :).
Instead I use the tube of a pva stocking filler. (Aproxx 30mm diameter)
Yes you have leftover meat but I use that in my old blender with hemp/halibut pellet/garlic oil. I use this in a small feeder as an attractor. As for flavouring I use a twice frozen method. I will flavour it first with curry (very hot stuff) freeze it for 24hrs then thaw it completely and flavour with garlic or any other flavour. I have had a fair few barbel on oxo chicken stock cubes crumbled over pre oiled meat and frozen, I assume from the salt content.
Well thats my take on it. The only thing I do different is hair rig it so just the eye of the hook is showing only.

Regards and tight lines.
JC

With the flavours like curry and garlic are you just giving it a good dusting straight out the kitchen cupboard and then freezing it? Or do you doen the powder down to put on the meat?

The thing that I find interesting about meat (in a fishing context) is that generally speaking, folk don't seem to go on baiting campaigns with it- pre or otherwise. There doesn't seem to be this sense of "right lads, we need to get these fish confident with meat so let's bait up swims for a month before we actually wet a line". As one might with a boilie, especially a new one. Also, meat is typically fished on its own, no free offerings to help fool the would-be bait rejector. You would imagine that pretty much every time a barbel consumes a chunk of meat it is accompanied by a quite major disruption to its day. And yet, they still come back for more. Like an audio book library, it speaks volumes for this mighty bait's catching qualities. And, you don't even need to make it into a squab shape in order to ensure it catches OR, spray it with a sausage derivative.

And on another note, fairly often I see people post (mainly on FB) stuff like "hey guys, I've just spent my children's inheritance on a new such and such wotsit rod in a nice cloth bag with fancy writing on the side. Anyone know if it's any good?" It's a bit the same with bait. "Hi everyone, I've just bought 30KG of 5 year old unwashed ladies undergarments flavoured boilies. Anyone used them? For fishing? Any good?"

It might just be me but surely questions such as these would be better, especially financially, if they contained phrases such as "I was thinking about buying.." Or "I'm just about to exchange one of my kidneys for a wotsit rod- a good idea..?"

It's probably just me.

The thing that I find interesting about meat (in a fishing context) is that generally speaking, folk don't seem to go on baiting campaigns with it- pre or otherwise. There doesn't seem to be this sense of "right lads, we need to get these fish confident with meat so let's bait up swims for a month before we actually wet a line". As one might with a boilie, especially a new one. Also, meat is typically fished on its own, no free offerings to help fool the would-be bait rejector. You would imagine that pretty much every time a barbel consumes a chunk of meat it is accompanied by a quite major disruption to its day. And yet, they still come back for more. Like an audio book library, it speaks volumes for this mighty bait's catching qualities. And, you don't even need to make it into a squab shape in order to ensure it catches OR, spray it with a sausage derivative.

And on another note, fairly often I see people post (mainly on FB) stuff like "hey guys, I've just spent my children's inheritance on a new such and such wotsit rod in a nice cloth bag with fancy writing on the side. Anyone know if it's any good?" It's a bit the same with bait. "Hi everyone, I've just bought 30KG of 5 year old unwashed ladies undergarments flavoured boilies. Anyone used them? For fishing? Any good?"

It might just be me but surely questions such as these would be better, especially financially, if they contained phrases such as "I was thinking about buying.." Or "I'm just about to exchange one of my kidneys for a wotsit rod- a good idea..?"

It's probably just me.

Hi Howard, ive got 4 wotsit rods, 4 xte gti 12v reels, 17 tons of bait that smells of pure sausage m***e, a super 108" extending rod rest, a 9 quiver holdhall, a 1lb chair, but alas, a job that won,t let me fish. :mad: If it did, i would empty every river in the country. :D:)

tell you what howard,those 30kg of 5 year old unwashed ladies undergarments flavoured boilies have caught me many barbel.great investment.bit of explaining to do to the missus though.

HPIM1349.jpg
10-9 from the Wye in yesterdays flood on flavoured meat.

Thanks Lads,
just proves the point about flavouring meat, it has its time and place and yesterdays warm flood was perfect conditions, even if playing them with debris on the line in a raging torrent is a struggle!

Cheers Steve,
self timer shot, good to hear from you, are you still fishing the Bristol Avon?
Paul.

Back