• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spicing up meat

Stay put hair riggers ( see ebay ) small corkscrew shape.

Tie hair slightly shorter than normal.

Thread hair riggers up the hair until the hair rigger eye sits in the hair loop.

Easy and reliable.

May I ask the best way to hair rig the stuff please?

I use the Fox large V shaped pegs, completely secures the meat, no need for anything else really.

No need to hair rig meat either, especially if fishing over snags or weed the hook can foul on, just bury a size 2 or 4 into the meat by sliding the meat down the hook length with a baiting needle, tie a loop on the end of the hook length to enable this, secure the hook length to a quick change swivel on the mainline.

In fact I now always have a quick change swivel on the mainline to change hook lengths quickly.

Like this..........

20141016_094903.jpg

Use the meat punch on a tin of spam and then cut the pieces of meat in half. Hair rig using meat stops, cant remember what make they are tho im afraid. Use the off-cuts from the tin to put in PVA bags and attach to the hook.

Been very effective for me on smaller rivers for Barbel and Chub and also smaller carp.

Neil that is exactly the way I fish meat,

(No need to hair rig meat either, especially if fishing over snags or weed the hook can foul on, just bury a size 2 or 4 into the meat by sliding the meat down the hook length with a baiting needle, tie a loop on the end of the hook length to enable this, secure the hook length to a quick change swivel on the mainline.

In fact I now always have a quick change swivel on the mainline to change hook lengths quickly. )

Big meat, small lead, has worked for me for years especially at this time of the year. Many of the Barbel will have seen only fishmeal based baits for most of their lives, with winter approaching a big free feed of meat takes some refusing, (well it does for me) so why not the Barbel!

A rawl plug on a hair works well. Or put some fine shrink tube on the hair to stop it cutting through the meat and use a small piece of spagetti as a stop.

Dave

For a change use a meatball - just as much success on these. With a quicklink (like a Gemini small snood clip) you can thread your hooklink through the meatball. Cajun spice and all the others previously mentioned are good. Try coating them in Thai fish sauce for more attraction. Direct hooking on a size 2 or 4 can avoid snagging compared to hair rigs.

I went through a couple of seasons coring the centre out of meat and packing with various goodies for extra attraction.

Various methods for keeping the coating on if you should want it.

The best way is the easiest and quickest! My method is:
Tie up knotless braid hook length making the hair the length you want.
Cut a piece of stiff rig tubing a few mm shorter than the length or width of the meat you will be using.
Using a small barbed needle, thread the hair through the tubing.
Now the clever bit; fold the end bit of the hair back against the tubing and hold it there before simply pushing the tubing through the meat.
Pull the hair from the meat and insert your favourite or as in my case whatever is to hand through the hair loop then slide meat down.
Never comes off, no needle needed, cheap and effective.

Quick question and sorry to deviate but when fishing with meat does anyone put any loose feed out as well? Hemp perhaps?

No hard and fast rules I guess Paul, but try using a l bait dropper to get the hemp down, and let the peg rest, I then introduce a few bits of meat a few minutes before casting in, this seems to get instant action, especially on small rivers. In this instance I hold the rod as the takes can be violent.

In a almost flood situation where the fish are less spooky I prefer big smelly meat baits, the fish are more spread out so should find it. I don't pre-bait.

No hard and fast rules I guess Paul, but try using a l bait dropper to get the hemp down, and let the peg rest, I then introduce a few bits of meat a few minutes before casting in, this seems to get instant action, especially on small rivers. In this instance I hold the rod as the takes can be violent.

In a almost flood situation where the fish are less spooky I prefer big smelly meat baits, the fish are more spread out so should find it. I don't pre-bait.

Thanks Neil. I have been putting out a little hemp lately but ill also start chucking a few bits of meat in as well. Would you do the same when using paste?

I would be very carefull feeding meat as the water is much cooler now. The fish will take longer to digest food as their metabolism slows down. Paste is easier for the fish to digest but would stick to very small amounts.

Dave

Just checked which ones I am using and its the Fox 21mm Pellet Pegs. They are clear so pretty inconspicuous and i trim the tags down a little. Been working well for me.

Thanks Neil. I have been putting out a little hemp lately but ill also start chucking a few bits of meat in as well. Would you do the same when using paste?

Good question regarding paste, as far as Winter on the Lower Severn I know anglers that introduce small amounts of paste into peg(s) and fish them in sequence, never really done that but seems to be a good winter tactic.

But if you are using hemp as an attractor I would say it important to use a dropper to get it down where you want it. Yes meat is a filler, as is pellet so for own sake's and those that follow, don't overfeed.

Blimey I am sounding as if I know what I talking about..I wish :p

Good question regarding paste, as far as Winter on the Lower Severn I know anglers that introduce small amounts of paste into peg(s) and fish them in sequence, never really done that but seems to be a good winter tactic.

But if you are using hemp as an attractor I would say it important to use a dropper to get it down where you want it. Yes meat is a filler, as is pellet so for own sake's and those that follow, don't overfeed.

Blimey I am sounding as if I know what I talking about..I wish :p

Always good to hear other peoples opinions and tactics tho mate. Im from a carping background so I spend a lot of time listening to river men! Proper fishing :D

Always good to hear other peoples opinions and tactics tho mate. Im from a carping background so I spend a lot of time listening to river men! Proper fishing :D

Judging from all the advice on here there is a lot to soak up, I always listen to how other folk do it but my mantra is keep it simple stupid, but without a doubt in my mind meat will produce a bite when nothing else will, pretty easy to understand when just by opening a tin we have the urge to scoff the lot, well I do anyway:)

Dunno if you fish the Thames all the tributaries, but certainly the smaller rivers benefit from the hemp and meat approach, I guess the pulling power is pretty much instant on smaller Rivers, it's just finding the Barbel.

Down this way in 2012 when we (all) had the 12 month winter.... the Lower Severn was brim full all year round, and big meat came into it's own, fished just a rod length or two out accounted for a lot of Barbel, and yet using the same tactics, or any tactics when the river is low you are more likely to blank than catch, it's one of the mysteries to me, are they still there or do they just not feed so readily on our baits?

And if anyone can answer that I would be impressed.

Welcome to the Rivers where nothing seems the same as you last left it.:rolleyes:

Fish the Thames around Hampton Court, Molesey, Sunbury etc. and all ive had is bream! But i also fish the Wey and im catching some lovely chub and barbel and a few little carp as well.

Tend to mainly use boilie and pellet on the Thames but am going to try meat when it picks up a bit and has a bit of colour. Have used boilie, pellet and meat on the Wey and caught using all. It was chocolate brown last night so went on the meat, lost 2 and landed a lovely 6lb whiskers.

Really enjoying myself on the rivers. Much better than sitting round some motionless puddle catching fishes with silly names.

Back