• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Reel service

Dave,

My first set up was either slackened off clutch or open bail, with silver foil ring on the line as a bobbin/rattler. The foil ring sometimes got caught and bunched up into the butt ring and caused chaos...and anyway they didn't work on windy days. You then resorted to having the line on the ground with the end of a twig laying on it directly under the reel....or a highly technical refinement of a saucepan lid/metal dinner plate similarly placed on the ground, with a large coin popped onto the line, trapping it in the centre of the lid/plate....alarming :D Actually, none of it was that satisfactory in many ways, but then that made it match the rest of what I was doing pretty well :D:D

That was before I really got into carp. My first carp reels were Daiwas, which required separately bought converters to turn them into baitrunners...sort of :p My first Shimano baitrunners were very small, and had their own issues....the good old days :rolleyes:....not :D Fortunately, the fish seemed a lot less bloody minded and far more cooperative then, so THAT bit was good :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
funny thing Dave, i saw a old boy still using a beer can bobbin only a couple of years ago, then there was the fairly liquid tops, which i used to use with open bail arm clipped up, the only problem with this was wind and line memory birds nests, not what you want on a run at 3am, thank god for baitrunners.

funny thing Dave, i saw a old boy still using a beer can bobbin only a couple of years ago, then there was the fairly liquid tops, which i used to use with open bail arm clipped up, the only problem with this was wind and line memory birds nests, not what you want on a run at 3am, thank god for baitrunners.

Yes indeedy....the 'purists' (??:rolleyes:??) who sneer condescendingly at baitrunners are one clutch short of a reel :D

Cheers, Dave.

Another plug for Felindre, fast efficient service ! My 5000GTE's came back in less than a week feeling like new !!

Posted my baitrunners on Monday and they rang today to say that they had been fully serviced and would be posted back today, £32 inc p&p.!!!

Back