• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Reel service

Another vote for the Welsh! Just wait til we get independence and close off the Severn Bridge to keep a lot of you unwashed pagans out :p They're just jealous Paul because they haven't got the Pembrokeshire coast !!! :D:D:D

Close the Severn Bridge Dave !! ? The Welsh economy will collapse without that little earner ...:p

Your telling me Bill,having crossed the bridge a 1000+ times over the last seven years my pocket will bare testament to that :(

Just as you would relax rear drag/clutch when reel not in use,, is it wise to do same for baitrunner ?

Yes it is Mark, in fact not doing so is exactly why I had to send my reel for a service in the first place. The washers perish when left under compression for extended periods, I suspect this is due to temperature variation??

Another vote for quick service from Felindre.
Sent one of my XT4000FA's off last Thursday afternoon, phone call late yesterday morning to say they'd received the reel and to clarify what the problem was, reel back today at 13.50!

Another vote for quick service from Felindre.
Sent one of my XT4000FA's off last Thursday afternoon, phone call late yesterday morning to say they'd received the reel and to clarify what the problem was, reel back today at 13.50!

I wonder if they would notice if I sent my Okuma's to them for a service....they are pretty dirty, so they may just think they were some obscure Shimano model and sort them out nicely for me :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I suspect this is something that a lot of fellas dont realise,myself included until recently.
Something i've learnt new after 50 odd years of fishing

Keith, I think Graham is referring to the little known fact that you need to release tension on baitrunner clutches when not in use, from a few post's earlier.

It had me going for a while, until I worked it out :D

Cheers, Dave

Or, why waste your time when its already typed? :)

If I hadn't been so lazy I would have read it when I first looked at their site.

Never used to be a problem pre-baitrunner days, fishing with a Mitchell 300 with the drag backed off, then tightening it up again to play the fish!

Only used a clutch the last 5 years since going into this barbel fishing and 10 lb line.Always backwound uptill then,a clutch was no good with 1lb hook lengths.

Never used to be a problem pre-baitrunner days, fishing with a Mitchell 300 with the drag backed off, then tightening it up again to play the fish!
what did carp anglers do before the all singing baitrunners with their 55's...:D

Back