• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scales

I have some cheap Chinese digitals that are back lit so are ideal for night time. Every time I have checked them they are very accurate. Well the wife went to Majorca for a girlie weekend on Friday. She wanted to check the weight of her case so we used these scales. It was just over 7 kilos.
Well, while she was away I caught three doubles from the Trent up to a pb of exactly 13lb. Next, she texted me to say my scales were wrong as the airport weighed her case at 6 kilos.
You can imagine how I felt as the weight of my fish could have been 2lb less!
I ran to the garage and tested the scales against all of my other sets. Very relieved to find out they are still extremely accurate.
Now I've serviced my old Avons and ordered some Korums. Will check the weight now with two sets!
Very happy that my 13 is a real 13😊

just out of interest
when I sent my Reuben Heaton specimen hunter millennia scales away for a service they check weigh them on arrival and again after the service and give you a printout
I was so pleased to see the accuracy from scales that have been well used since purchasing in year 2000 was pretty much bang on maybe 1 ounces light above 50lb prior to service :) I then got my weigh tripod out and a 5 gallon water carrier and checked them against the Wychwood t-bar scale I had bought with measured amounts of water again delighted to find the Wychwood digital scales were reading the same though out

I would recommend anyone with an old set of Reuben Heaton scales to get them serviced by them rather than buy new as they will come back like new as they replace the case as well during the service

just out of interest
when I sent my Reuben Heaton specimen hunter millennia scales away for a service they check weigh them on arrival and again after the service and give you a printout
I was so pleased to see the accuracy from scales that have been well used since purchasing in year 2000 was pretty much bang on maybe 1 ounces light above 50lb prior to service :) I then got my weigh tripod out and a 5 gallon water carrier and checked them against the Wychwood t-bar scale I had bought with measured amounts of water again delighted to find the Wychwood digital scales were reading the same though out

I would recommend anyone with an old set of Reuben Heaton scales to get them serviced by them rather than buy new as they will come back like new as they replace the case as well during the service
Nice information there Gerry,
What did the service set you back if you don’t mind me asking.

Generally find that the accuracy of most scales for me at least, disappointing. Have checked many sets with 'certified' weights and although they might be more accurate within certain ranges, they might be less so at others.
Cheers
Bob

Generally find that the accuracy of most scales not that good. Have checked many sets with 'certified' weights and although they might be more accurate at certain ranges, they might be less so at others.
Cheers
Bob
Where in the range do they they tend to show error Bob? Is it usually towards there limit or does it vary from set to set.
I’ve hung known weights from my Avon’s lots of times and can’t find any inaccuracies but I’ve never used them anywhere near the upper limit of 40lb with either known weights or fish so I’ve no idea how good they are at that end.

Nice information there Gerry,
What did the service set you back if you don’t mind me asking.
Service costs are as follows –

Standard Angling Scales £28.00
Limited Edition Flag Scales £28.00
Specimen Hunter £28.00
Fishery Match Scales £28.00
7,000 Digital Scales £28.00
Sportmans Balance £28.00
9,000 Digital Scales £20.00
Little Gem £8.00
Gem £8.00
Flyweight £8.00
Microweigh £8.00