• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scales

Great post
I agree completely !......and I would never dream of buying a secondhand set of Avon scales that NOW can not be serviced or repaired ?

why would you chance buying something like that ?
unless it was for nostalgic reasons and you dont give a monkeys about how accurate the weight is but if thats the case why bother weighing at all ??

surely if you can be interested enough to weigh it you would want to know the proper weight ?...and with plenty of cheap scales around that are bang on the money ?

I might be on my own in this but I’m not normally bothered by getting the weight of fish I catch correct to the ounce, as long as the weight is roughly correct I’m fine. I’m not telling people about the size of anything noteworthy, I generally keep sizes to myself or talk about fish in terms of pounds and half or quarter pounds. I’ve caught a lot of double figure bream this year but I couldn’t tell you exactly how many or what all their exact weights were. Even the largest I only really know to the quarter pound.

I’m fishing somewhere now where there’s an outside chance of producing something (not a barbel) huge. I’d probably still settle for knowing I’m within a quarter pound of being spot on but if I was to catch something nearing record size I might regret not having scales that can be relied on to be more accurate

Not having a dig by the way. Could you recommend some new cheaper ones that are accurate?

I think with spring scales you get what you pay for. Good sets aren't particularly cheap imo, I have the Reuben Heaton specimen scales that, over 10 years ago cost me a good 80 quid. Tbh they sit in my car now, and only come out when weighing a good fish. I use the Wychwood T bar scales mostly now for run of the mill weighing etc. They tie in exactly with my Reubens, so find the Reubens ni on redundant and stay as a passenger in my car. The T bars a very light and very ergonomic for weighing and have never failed, which is good for an electronic scale.

All this chat about Avon Scales has got me a bit nostalgic so i’ve dug mine out and compared them against a new set of Korum electronics. I’m impressed, test as follows:
Korum 2lb 1oz ( 2 tins of cider) Avon’s 2lb 0oz.
Korum 5lb 3oz ( 6 cans and packaging) Avon’s 5lb 1oz.
Korum 17lb (six cans + 4 x 750 ml bottles of Leffe) Avon’s 17lb.....
The Avon’s, 32lb versions not the later 40lb models have always been kept in a case with a silica gel pouch to absorb moisture and when not on the bank always stored indoors. My Mum bought them for me on my 16th birthday.....50 years ago!....cost :£5:19:6d....to you young ‘uns that is £5:97.5p just short of 6 quid 😁

Last edited:
All this chat about Avon Scales has got me a bit nostalgic so i’ve dug mine out and compared them against a new set of Korum electronics. I’m impressed, test as follows:
Korum 2lb 1oz ( 2 tins of cider) Avon’s 2lb 0oz.
Korum 5lb 3oz ( 6 cans and packaging) Avon’s 5lb 1oz.
Korum 17lb (six cans + 4 x 750 ml bottles of Leffe) Avon’s 17lb.....
The Avon’s, 32lb versions not the later 40lb models have always been kept in a case with a silica gel pouch to absorb moisture and when not on the bank always stored indoors. My Mum bought them for me on my 16th birthday.....50 years ago!....cost :£5:19:6d....to you young ‘uns that is £5:97.5p just short of 6 quid 😁
Love it, very amusing mate,beer reference, hilarious

I might be on my own in this but I’m not normally bothered by getting the weight of fish I catch correct to the ounce, as long as the weight is roughly correct I’m fine. I’m not telling people about the size of anything noteworthy, I generally keep sizes to myself or talk about fish in terms of pounds and half or quarter pounds. I’ve caught a lot of double figure bream this year but I couldn’t tell you exactly how many or what all their exact weights were. Even the largest I only really know to the quarter pound.

I’m fishing somewhere now where there’s an outside chance of producing something (not a barbel) huge. I’d probably still settle for knowing I’m within a quarter pound of being spot on but if I was to catch something nearing record size I might regret not having scales that can be relied on to be more accurate

Not having a dig by the way. Could you recommend some new cheaper ones that are accurate?

P.M. Dave

Firstly my apologies, i’ve inadvertently mislead you chaps. The six cans and packaging should have read 6lb 3oz and 6lb 1oz respectively. I correct just in case anyone is using cans of Thatchers cider to check their scales against mine 🤣🤣

Valid question Richard and i’m Inclined to believe the newer electronic scales but like Dave Quinn I weigh my catches for my benefit and am happy if it’s correct to within a couple of ounces BUT if I were to catch a record fish (very unlikely where I regularly fish) I would then get the scales verified. Interestingly I ‘ve just done a check weigh against my wife’s kitchen scales and another set of electronics (nearly 10 year old Berkeley’s) and the two cans came in at 2lb 1.5oz (kitchen scales) and 2lb 3oz on the Berkley and the six cans 6lb 3.7oz (kitchen scale) and 6lb 4oz (Berkley) so again little differences there as well. These scales are all made with a tolerance allowance so who knows which are correct unless you get them versed by Weights & Measures....this little exercise tells me I should be taking my older Berkley scales, my catches would be bigger 🤣🤣.....Joking if anyone takes that as a serious comment.....anyway the Berkeley’s don’t have a backlight 😜

I've just bought some luggage scales from sports erect, kangol ones, 🤔 absolutely spot on I've weighed everything in the house and they are bang on oz perfect.

Firstly my apologies, i’ve inadvertently mislead you chaps. The six cans and packaging should have read 6lb 3oz and 6lb 1oz respectively. I correct just in case anyone is using cans of Thatchers cider to check their scales against mine 🤣🤣

Valid question Richard and i’m Inclined to believe the newer electronic scales but like Dave Quinn I weigh my catches for my benefit and am happy if it’s correct to within a couple of ounces BUT if I were to catch a record fish (very unlikely where I regularly fish) I would then get the scales verified. Interestingly I ‘ve just done a check weigh against my wife’s kitchen scales and another set of electronics (nearly 10 year old Berkeley’s) and the two cans came in at 2lb 1.5oz (kitchen scales) and 2lb 3oz on the Berkley and the six cans 6lb 3.7oz (kitchen scale) and 6lb 4oz (Berkley) so again little differences there as well. These scales are all made with a tolerance allowance so who knows which are correct unless you get them versed by Weights & Measures....this little exercise tells me I should be taking my older Berkley scales, my catches would be bigger 🤣🤣.....Joking if anyone takes that as a serious comment.....anyway the Berkeley’s don’t have a backlight 😜

I bought a set of the Wychwood digitals in the end then when I realized how big they are swapped them for the Korums. The neoprene pouch the scales came with seems to be half the size it should be, and I really have to stretch it to fit. Did you find that with yours?

I've just bought some luggage scales from sports erect, kangol ones, 🤔 absolutely spot on I've weighed everything in the house and they are bang on oz perfect.
I've just discovered they weigh up to 88 lb, spot on for the money spent👍🏻.

I bought a set of the Wychwood digitals in the end then when I realized how big they are swapped them for the Korums. The neoprene pouch the scales came with seems to be half the size it should be, and I really have to stretch it to fit. Did you find that with yours?
Hi Dave,
Yes found it very tight to start with especially as I have arthritis in the hands but it does “loosen up” after a bit of time, it’s either that or i’ve developed a nack for getting it in :)

I used them for the first time today, Bream of 13lb 3oz and 15lb 1oz. Nice to know their weights were accurate enough especially since the bigger fish was my biggest Bream.
Two cracking fish Dave, well done

Back