• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Salmon

Decent return for your week George, does seem that the grilse are running allover, but there,s a lot of small fish,3-4lb, saw plenty on the Itchen. Unusual to see them that size, they normally start around 6lb, poor feeding at sea, maybe?
peter

is also encouraging though as it indicates strong recruitment and therefore breeding success must be increasing nationwide. Spey has been pants this year though.

Your right George, seeing a good number of fish is positve sign, the number of seatrout I saw was nice, took some careful study to determine species, but the gin like water made it easier, made them tricky to approach though! Just to observe them is nice, actually catching one or two is a bonus for me, just love seeing nature doing its stuff.
peter

Any size to the sea-trout? I haven't seen a decent average size to seatrout since a trip to ireland about 5 years ago.

Yes, some were 7-8lb bracket, one possibly a double, most 2-4lb, saw a couple of real lumps last year, one around 15lb, worth anight or two I think!!!!
peter

That is a bit more than 'decent'! almost on tierra del fuego standards! oh how i wish i was alive and fishing 80 years ago, that would have been 'average stamp' then. only there would have been hundreds of the things. almost a nuisance fish to the salmon angler.

Does seem to be more than I,ve seen in the last couple of years, but the weed is quite sparse this year on the Itchen. The flow is very good though, despite the lack of rain, probably why the fish are running, hope to find a few salmon tommorrow, and might have a go at the seatrout, if the opportunity arises!
peter

Just for info i saw 2 salmon trying to scale Cromwell Weir on the Trent less than a month ago. Its surprising what you see when you take your blinkers off.

Jon

Seems to be getting a number of fish now, shame the authorities keep trying to wipe them out with sewage! Used to see a few on the Thames, but the reintroduction seems to now be a failure, some seatrout run, see them in January/February, and some get caught by pikers, but the millions spent are just another waste of money(our money!!!!!), the non -existant summer flows don,t help, but you can,t abstact the hell out of a river system and expect much else!
peter

an interesting read. I shall have to consult my old university referencing websites and see if i can get any scientific info.

Certainly interesting, whether it can be proved is a matter for the scientists, If it was proved, what then, wholesale destruction of introduced barbel stocks in the Wye, Avon and Severn? Possibly, but unlikely, the owners are getting used to the regular income from dayticket sales for coarse fishing, probably more than salmon ticket sales would generate!
Had one of THOSE days yesterday, hooked 5 salmon, only banked one, a 6lber. The others all fell off after brief contact, the first fish was really angry, violent ,airborn headshakes and the hook came flying back at me, real shame as it was around 15/18lb, oh well thats fishing. The numbers of fish seen was really encouraging, small groups of fresh fish all over the river, back for more very soon, there goes the bank balance!!!
peter

After some changes to presentation, managed to be in the right place at the right time today to put it into practice and how, 7 fish landed, 2 bounced off after a few seconds, all grilse to 7lb 8oz. Well chuffed with that, some big fish were seen too, but highly mobile, fresh fish, not settling, but hopefuly I can find them on Sunday!
peter

I heard yesterday that Lower Itchen are on 120 plus for the season!

Yes, the river is full of fish, lots of grilse, but there are some lumps lurking there, seen a couple that were 20lb +, and fresh fish arriving everyday. Just nice to see a river very much alive, I really enjoy watching the fish, catching them is bonus time.
peter

Just back from another one of THOSE days, 8 fish landed(2 at 8lb) and one lost late on, a few missed takes, found one of the biggies, but a 6lber jumped on the bait and spooked it, but definately no complaints from me.
Peter

Frankenfish.

Be very worried for our remaining wild salmon if this hugely financed, well-spun corporation gets its way.

genetically-engineered-Aq-018.jpg

A genetically engineered AquAdvantage salmon (background) and an Atlantic salmon of the same age. The US Food and Drug Administration will hold a three-day meeting this month to discuss whether to approve the altered fish for American consumers to eat

Back