• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Salmon

Yes it went back fine, after a few minutes careful recovery.

As Paul has stated all salmon caught before mid June must be returned. Over and above this the riparian owners on the Hampshire Avon have been running a total catch and release policy for all salmon for several years now. :)

The stuff of dreams. What a fish.
I'll be fishing for some of the same in 3 weeks, one half the size will make me happy.

Only one sea trout taken on the Royalty but the beats north of Ibsley have had a few to 5lbs.

Salmon wise Stewart Allum had the best fish off the Avon for a few years from North End when he landed this beauty measuring 44.5" which is a weight between 36 - 37lbs on the Sturdy Scale.
sa33.jpg

Stewart's first fly-caught salmon, I have just learned (taken on a 1.5-in. Waddington). Now, imagine rigging a float rod for barbel for the first time, then having a 15-pounder as your very first float-caught fish ... forever afterwards everything you catch could seem a little small, even dull in comparison, but then you will at least have the memory of a fish of a lifetime. Great fish.

Potentially worrying stuff in a new report about the Wye (which is almost certainly applicable to other southern British salmon, sea-trout and trout rivers) and the possible effects of climate change. Something in it, I reckon, as cooler northern rivers (some in Scotland, others in Scandinavia) have had a much smaller diminution in salmon runs, fluctuating from year to year certainly but not crashing as the Wye, Hants Avon etc did (and stayed pretty well crashed). With many non-fish species (birds, butterflies...) moving ever northward at present to escape the growing heat, salmonids might be seeing an end to their life in the British south before too many years. Coarse fish will fill the vacant slot in the warmer waters obviously, but a Wessex without its fine salmon would be a poor place.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100517111914.htm

Stillwater Salmon!!!!
This weeks Angling Times reports that a salmon fishery has been set up on a man made one acre lake in Rutland!
£120 a day lets you fish for, and take salmon between October and June.The report shows 3 salmon weighing up to 34lb!

It's a toss-up over just what I would rather do / have done to me before I fished such a zoo for such fake fish: 1) give up fishing altogether, or 2) have my teeth and fingernails pulled out without anaesthetic. Probably both, just to be certain.

It's a toss-up over just what I would rather do / have done to me before I fished such a zoo for such fake fish: 1) give up fishing altogether, or 2) have my teeth and fingernails pulled out without anaesthetic. Probably both, just to be certain.

Can I watch??:eek:
:D:D:D:D
(I'll give you a share of any ticket sales):p

So, I picked up a Seer fly rod for a song and am having a casting lesson on Saturday.

I had planned to have a bit of fun targetting chub and dace on small rivers, but as it's an 11ft 7-weight rod, it could be a bit over-gunned.

So that leaves... salmon fishing on the Ouse! I reckon there's a few to be had from just below Linton Weir.

Anyone care to suggest what flies/lures to use, and when the best time to fish might be, ie. when I'm allowed to fish for salmon and when the runs are?

R.

1st thing robin ensure you get the correct rod licence as your coarse license only covers non migratory trout and not salmon, wouldnt want you to loose your gear 1st outing.

knew it would be and unless your planning doing a lot of salmon fishing which I dont think the Ouse can sustain it would be a waste of money unless you were planning on heading north to more prolific salmon waters.

Finally the fish seem to be running the southern chalkstreams, fished the Itchen last sunday, saw quite a few fish, some good seatrout too, caught a chrome bright 8lber, nice. Yesterday on the Test, hooked three fish, landed two best 11lb, the third fish lost due to a hookpull after getting my net all caught up, DOH, others seen too. Looking promising, just need some rain.
peter

Just returned from a week in sutherland.
23 fish for the week but sadly all grilse. largest around 7lbs, funny that no larger fish put in an appearance but can't grumble with those numbers.
Taken on flies ranging from tiny black silver stoats to huge great temple dog tubes.
Also picked up a few sea trout to around 2lb so no real size to them. one while bass fishing with a soft plastic in a near by estuary! first ever in the sea.

Back