• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rod tip lights?

Tony Worrall

thinking of doing some late night sessions on a couple of local rivers and was looking for some advice on what you use to light up the avon tips on your rods? any recommendations greatly appreciated cheers tony.

also are the isotopes as bright as the snappable one use ones?
no where near, the snap lights are about 10x stronger.
I've gone back to em, cannot stand straining to see, the Gardner tritium MAX are said to be the brightest around, i got some for my hangers,
they are OK but not brilliant, green is always the brightest.
the drennan ones in the tackle shop are a rip off, go eBay.

Last edited:
I've been using a pair of green solar one's for the last four years, getting a bit dull now, compared to the snap ones Gaz uses:eek: he could land helicoptors with them;) he gets them off ebay.

drennan isotopes are pretty good little expensive but last for years as long as you dont lose them

I'll 2nd that ;)

Tony, so not to lose them i add a small dab of glue to the out side of the rubber sleeve to the green clip once on the rod tip, never had one come off yet :)

I got a box from Aldi or Lidl with about 100 for few quid. Never had a problem!

Tony,
Iv got two snap on you can have i don't normally bother, I just wait for the alarm to go daft or not as it seems to be lately :)

I have heat shrink tubed mine on my tips like Dave Lumb does on some of his rods if you want.

Alot mbetter than having an isotope sticking up in the air, as found sometimes the line can catch round the holder.

That's a good idea, but how do you get the shrinktube past the top ring?

The snap ones are too bright for my liking, plus you have to keep using new ones every time. Prefer the subtle isotopes, though I sometimes lose them in a blind spot and panic!

Aldi ones for me 3 different colours in a box of 50 red blue and yellowish green they are 4mm x 40mm LG prefer the smaller ones but can never find them at a good price becarefull on eBay bought some and out of 100 reckon only about 40 worked max which wasn't good

Last edited:
Back