• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rod tip lights?

That's a good idea, but how do you get the shrinktube past the top ring?

The snap ones are too bright for my liking, plus you have to keep using new ones every time. Prefer the subtle isotopes, though I sometimes lose them in a blind spot and panic!

Ditto - please tell!

I can only imagine this involves removing the tip ring or 50:1 shrink tube..... :confused:

Sorry for the delay.

Yes you have to take the tip ring off, you need to types of shrink tube, white for the base and then clear to go on top.
I didn't really know what i was doing, but it took me 15-20 mins per rod.
It is alot neater than just having it on the top, and doesn't effect the bend in the tip at all.
I asked Dave Lumb how he did it, it is easy and no chance of a lost isotope now.

Rather than take the tip eye off and use shrink tube. What about painting the end of the rod with either white paint/tip-ex/ or an illuminous paint, and then using a clear sillicone bathroom sealant to attatch the isotope. along the length of the rod. Its both clear and flexible. Just a thought. :)

My TFG River and Stream's Avon top sections have screw-in end-eyes for this purpose. They are the standard sized thread that you get on old style screw-in quiver and swing tips. These are two old quiver tips which I cut off and which fit the Drennan Isotopes (pictured) perfectly. No tangles. Something to consider maybe...

CIMG3094.jpg

CIMG3095.jpg

i have taken mine to the rod maker at the fishing tackle shop i use to have some put on Permanent it looks like they are shrink rapped on or maybe it is some sort of glue a neat job anyway and no messing about when it goes dark now or fading as they run out....

If you use the drennan isotopes, ensure you fit them on the female part of the tip ring, ie the tube, not the blank. Been fishing this way for 3 seasons never lost one, but had the odd tangle, because I use braid etc.

not read too much on the thread, apologies if any.

Back