• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod recommendation

Yes a scope would but aren’t they quite tippy rods?
@Huanzhou Zhu made an extremely good point that a through action will help him out no end with keeping pressure on the fish. When he was using my torrixs he was keeping a good bend in the rod but it would of benefit him further with something a little more through to apply the pressure easier for him. I always thought scopes were a bit more on the faster side but could be wrong

Richard I find that sometimes we have to companies. Perhaps the perfect rod isn't out there yet. You asked for a 10ft 1.75tc rod and there it is.
Unfortunately we cant get to wiggle all of the rods but have to take a chance.

Richard I find that sometimes we have to companies. Perhaps the perfect rod isn't out there yet. You asked for a 10ft 1.75tc rod and there it is.
Unfortunately we cant get to wiggle all of the rods but have to take a chance.
I will have a look at one Stephen and see what I think. I’m more than happy to throw 150 quid at the rod I just want it to be right for him so that he gets the best out of it.
In theory something like a light little Avon rod would be spot on but the jammy little sod keeps on laying into 13lb fish so I’m edging towards this compromise between length, power, lightness and progressive action and your probably dead right when you say I’m asking for something that probably isn’t out there.
I’ll find him something I’m sure.
Cheers

Not sure it would be any use to you but I have a DAM New Dimension Andy Little Stalking rod I would let go. 8ft, 2 3/4lbtc not at all like a broom stick that most of todays rods are like and lovely to use.

The Darent Valley rods from Tackle Box will tick plenty of boxes mate, worth a look and incredible value for money.
Had the same thought Guy but when I looked they only do 10ft carp rods ☹️

A bit left field here, but how about a stepped up pellet waggler or method feeder rod ??

Or one of Daiwa's 11/13 version of their older feeder rods, and use it at 11' for starters.

Last edited:
My boys started out (after the whip and no reel phase) with 10ft Garbolino Rocket Carp Waggler rods

For the £ these are fantastic - very light / slim blank / cork duplon combo handle / progressive action and deceivingly powerful but easy to use from small fish to large doubles. Have now repossessed these (since they rarely fish these days) and use them myself for summer pellet wag on commercials and small feeder fishing for chub on streams / snaggy backwaters. The actions are progressive and the tips soft enough to hit taps and rattles etc

I'd go with a 10ft spinning rod myself Richard, loads of options and I reckon one with a recommended casting weight of up to 30-50 grams should be ideal. Shouldn't ruin the fight on small fish but power lower down the blank if needed.
Lightweight and nearly all of them come with a hook keeper ring as standard.
Glasgow Angling do a good selection of spinning rods and this one looks rather nice with the Cork handle.

I use a pair of Peregrine 10ft 1.75 stalkers lovely action players rods.

Back