• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod recommendation

Ok so an update.
@Terry Harman has hooked the lad right up with a bit of a special.
A rod that Harrison built specifically for Vic Gibson at Johnson Ross in the past.
It’s a little shorter than I originally wanted at 9ft but it’s going to suit him just fine and Terry has looked after us nicely with a giveaway price. 👍🏻

It’s a 9 ft stalker 2 piece with 3ft butt section and 6ft top. 7 light weight guides in a 25mm set

I’m told its a ballista. Around 2lb tc and having pulled on it tonight it’s beautiful. Very through actioned yet nice and powerful. Very very light and balanced which is most important for the little lad.

Now this rod is a complete bare canvas. No writing no ID no nothing. It’s almost like it’s one that Vic built for himself. Really slim unground ballista blank and stealthy handle which I’ll probably convert to cork myself.

I’m not building the rod but it’s the perfect canvas for me to put my touches on. I’ll sight tip it for him, do something on the monogram for him and depending on what he prefers I’ll either leave the stealthy handle or cork it for him.

He’s had a pull on it tonight and I think he’s going to get on with this much better than my 11footers.

Ok so an update.
A rod that Harrison built specifically for Vic Gibson at Johnson Ross in the past.
It’s a little shorter than I originally wanted at 9ft but it’s going to suit him just fine and Terry has looked after us nicely with a giveaway price. 👍🏻

It’s a 9 ft stalker 2 piece with 3ft butt section and 6ft top. 7 light weight guides in a 25mm set

I’m told its a ballista. Around 2lb tc and having pulled on it tonight it’s beautiful. Very through actioned yet nice and powerful. Very very light and balanced which is most important for the little lad.

Now this rod is a complete bare canvas. No writing no ID no nothing. It’s almost like it’s one that Vic built for himself. Really slim unground ballista blank and stealthy handle which I’ll probably convert to cork myself.

I’m not building the rod but it’s the perfect canvas for me to put my touches on. I’ll sight tip it for him, do something on the monogram for him and depending on what he prefers I’ll either leave the stealthy handle or cork it for him.

He’s had a pull on it tonight and I think he’s going to get on with this much better than my 11footers.
That’s a perfect tool for him. Out of curiosity, what is a stealthy handle?

That’s a perfect tool for him. Out of curiosity, what is a stealthy handle?
Probably my bad terminology. Is bare blank right across the handle with about 4 inch of shrink on the end. It’s been nicely blended up to the shrink and reel seats with whippings and collars etc. looks very stealthy and probably carpy. I like it because it’s understated but it’s extremely slim. He might get on with cork better.

Once I’ve done the sight tip I’ll get some pics.

Probably my bad terminology. Is bare blank right across the handle with about 4 inch of shrink on the end. It’s been nicely blended up to the shrink and reel seats with whippings and collars etc. looks very stealthy and probably carpy. I like it because it’s understated but it’s extremely slim. He might get on with cork better.

Once I’ve done the sight tip I’ll get some pics.
Thanks, interesting configuration. It sounds really carpy, but it also makes the rod lighter.

Thanks, interesting configuration. It sounds really carpy, but it also makes the rod lighter.
Was definitely built with carp in mind. Something like a little floater margin rod I’d imagine
Once I get a sight tip done it will look more barbelly 🤣.
He wants white and fluro orange like my chub rod.

Was definitely built with carp in mind. Something like a little floater margin rod I’d imagine
Once I get a sight tip done it will look more barbelly 🤣.
He wants white and fluro orange like my chub rod.
Top colour selection covers most cases. A slim short cork handle will make him feel much better when playing fish.

Can’t find anything on tinterweb about it.
All the stalkers are either 10ft 2p or 9ft 3p
9ft 2p with a very short butt section does not appear anywhere. It must of just been afew one offs for Vic

No guides on the but section either. No joints through the action because it’s so low down.
It will behave like a one piece rod. Just unhindered through the whole curve

I don’t know the exact tc I’ll have to measure it. Terry thinks it’s a 2lb. It feels about that when pulled on but I’m going to measure it to know for sure.

Might be this? Harrison s2?
Completely different to those.
The sections are totally different lengths
The blanks are a very course unground finish
There’s no rings or even space for a ring on the butt section of this one and im going to hazard a guess as it feels softer than 2.25.
Certainly not the same as those

Those Harrison S2 rods look identical in spec to the Duelist rods that Dave Lumb builds. I've used the duelist 2 for lure fishing for a while and I'd say it's more like a torrix blank in terms of lightness and without the chequered weave.

Ok so an update.

Sounds ideal Rich. I have a 9ft 3-piece 'stalker rod' which is built on an unground ballista blank. Sounds very similar, except it has a nominal 2.75lb TC.

Hope he has many a leviathan on it!

Can’t find anything on tinterweb about it.
All the stalkers are either 10ft 2p or 9ft 3p
9ft 2p with a very short butt section does not appear anywhere. It must of just been afew one offs for Vic
Harrison used to sell a 3 ft stalker handle to fit the Ballista range of rods back in the day. I’ve two of them myself they fit my 3 lb ballista top sections to make a nice short through action rod. I’ll have to get them down from the loft and see if they will fit my 2.25 lb ballista top sections. I think when Harrison brought them out the factory finished versions were £30.

D6991F9B-5124-4A46-9CB9-FE91F38436EF.jpeg
C3F902DB-740C-4D48-A32A-5075E3006C05.jpeg

Once the tip clear coating has gone rock hard I’ll get him to pull on it and show the action. Looks a bit less carpy now. 🤣

Back