• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod recommendation

Second thread update 🤦‍♂️

Now got a Dave mason 10’6 barbel rod for him thanks to another good friend in the barbel scene.
It’s a well used but lovely rod that he has confirmed he prefers. Feels a little easier for him as the smaller guides make it feel lighter and it’s softer too. So I’ve got another one to sight tip now 🤣
The 9ft ballista special is of no use to us now and Terry is fine with me moving it on. It’s an un used un obtainable rod and If anyone wants it they can have it for what I paid (plus free sight tip design of your choice 😉) pm me if it’s of interest.
I measured the TC the other day and it’s around 2.25lb at 90° 👍🏻 Great little tree climbing rod 😎

Another little update
This Dave Maso/Andy sliwa rod originally had another anglers name personally written on the blank which obviously had to go now.
I stripped it back and with the help of a good friend doing the flawless high build work we got it all sorted for young Josh.
It’s maybe not how the enthusiast would like a Dave mason rod but I’m exceptionally pleased with it and so is the lad.
He’s just got to christen it now which I’m sure he will.
Knowing Josh it will be with another monster to show his Dad up again 🤣
310DC7A4-A047-4A8C-8F91-8CA0A66CF603.jpeg
A39413B5-F9AA-475C-A3A4-8CD208245FE6.jpeg
3159E9C8-BD9C-48B2-8BEA-FB9EED7B8C30.jpeg

Another little update
This Dave Maso/Andy sliwa rod originally had another anglers name personally written on the blank which obviously had to go now.
I stripped it back and with the help of a good friend doing the flawless high build work we got it all sorted for young Josh.
It’s maybe not how the enthusiast would like a Dave mason rod but I’m exceptionally pleased with it and so is the lad.
He’s just got to christen it now which I’m sure he will.
Knowing Josh it will be with another monster to show his Dad up again 🤣View attachment 21803View attachment 21804View attachment 21805
Rich,
How did you remove the previous owners name? I have a couple of rods that need the same.
Cheers
Tommo

Rich,
How did you remove the previous owners name? I have a couple of rods that need the same.
Cheers
Tommo
Very carefully with a very sharp blade.
It isn’t a rush job and I didn’t use any heat to soften the epoxy.
I wouldn’t want to do it on someone else’s rod mind as a slip of the blade would be a potential disaster
Uncoated blanks will be a lot easier to do as you can lightly rub them down smooth afterwards before re application of the high build.
I did seek advice from Bob gill before getting fired in to it

Last edited:
Lovely. And Dear Dave will be pleased.
Saw him on the river a year ago and helped him out regards a guy that was causing him some distress.

Second thread update 🤦‍♂️

Now got a Dave mason 10’6 barbel rod for him thanks to another good friend in the barbel scene.
It’s a well used but lovely rod that he has confirmed he prefers. Feels a little easier for him as the smaller guides make it feel lighter and it’s softer too. So I’ve got another one to sight tip now 🤣
The 9ft ballista special is of no use to us now and Terry is fine with me moving it on. It’s an un used un obtainable rod and If anyone wants it they can have it for what I paid (plus free sight tip design of your choice 😉) pm me if it’s of interest.
I measured the TC the other day and it’s around 2.25lb at 90° 👍🏻 Great little tree climbing rod 😎
It's the same model as mine, with the wood and metal reel seat, nice rod. The wooden touch was the first run on these, then reverted to a standard fit. Quite rare and sought after.

Who would do that to Dave? Good for you hope you gave him a thick ear😞
Bloke who had a camper van in the Club car park and had been on site illegally for a few days.
New age traveller type. Was giving Dave abuse.
Suggested that I could smell strange odour coming from his van and would be calling the police in an hour.

He left. Never to return.

Lucky lad Josh that's a lovely rod! You're lucky too Richard I wish my lad would come fishing but he's never shown the slightest interest despite years of begging. Tight lines young man.

Nick

Lucky lad Josh that's a lovely rod! You're lucky too Richard I wish my lad would come fishing but he's never shown the slightest interest despite years of begging. Tight lines young man.

Nick
It’s just not in some of them is it?

One of my sons loves it, the other doesn’t understand why we go, even though he’s been to some lovely spots and caught some beautiful fish, and he’s the one I’d have thought would be the angler

Morning chaps - Andy asked me to post this on his behalf:

Hi guys. Due to outrageous shopping charges, I have had to cancel my order of the 10’6” blanks. The cost of the blanks has almost doubled, instantly making them not viable at the moment. Hopefully the situation will change at some point. All the best and tight lines, Andy Sliwa

Morning chaps - Andy asked me to post this on his behalf:

Hi guys. Due to outrageous shopping charges, I have had to cancel my order of the 10’6” blanks. The cost of the blanks has almost doubled, instantly making them not viable at the moment. Hopefully the situation will change at some point. All the best and tight lines, Andy Sliwa
Oh, no, I was thinking to contact him about the short rod option.

Back