• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Tim's comment are pretty much spot on IMO.

As a general rule, a fair bit of colour down to a hint, but not typically barbel chocolate unless you know where they may hold up or its a slack. Steady area.

And hang on for the light to fade and try and spot rolling / topping fish then, and remember where on your next foray out.

As a side,
I always prepare small batches of flavoured fine dry breadcrumb at home.
Coriander,pineapple,aniseed etc for a confidence boost.
Also add to maggots,casters.

Tim's comment are pretty much spot on IMO.

As a general rule, a fair bit of colour down to a hint, but not typically barbel chocolate unless you know where they may hold up or its a slack. Steady area.

And hang on for the light to fade and try and spot rolling / topping fish then, and remember where on your next foray out.
Spot on 👍

Thanks everybody. Was intending to have a go if it was too cold/marginal for barbel, which is what I’ll probably do anyway.

Roach were not very interested on the Test today.
Just 3 nice ones. Lots spotties topped with this 8lb deep bodied Brownie that took about 15 mins to net
20221216_152505.jpg
20221216_121508.jpg

Been catching the odd roach from the Severn this season, picking up my single pellet hookbaits. Decided to target them last week with a lighter tip rod and had 5 ranging from 12ozs to 1.07.
Yesterday afternoon I returned to the same swim for another try, two rods this time. Started off with small banded pellets but they weren't interested. A change of bait to two grains of wheat on a size 14 got a 10oz roach, followed by a 4lb bream! The roach continued to enjoy the wheat, finished with 14/15, all mint young fish ranging 6-12ozs. Also had a 4.06 chub, 2 barbel and a 6lb pike!

Been catching the odd roach from the Severn this season, picking up my single pellet hookbaits. Decided to target them last week with a lighter tip rod and had 5 ranging from 12ozs to 1.07.
Yesterday afternoon I returned to the same swim for another try, two rods this time. Started off with small banded pellets but they weren't interested. A change of bait to two grains of wheat on a size 14 got a 10oz roach, followed by a 4lb bream! The roach continued to enjoy the wheat, finished with 14/15, all mint young fish ranging 6-12ozs. Also had a 4.06 chub, 2 barbel and a 6lb pike!
Fishing seed baits can be the most enjoyable and the most surprising.

Lovely story.....

I thought the rules require DNA evidence for roach and rudd claims these days.

Judging by the photos, particularly the first one it looks very rudd like to me.
No idea about the DNA requirements, but I agree it does look a bit rudd like. That said a pal of mine had a 3lb roach from the Thames a few years back which I thought look a bit ruddy, he took some very detailed photos and sent them to Mark Everard (Dr Roach) who was of the firm opinion it was indeed a roach.

Anyway, I'd give my right arm for a 4lb rudd now, let alone when I was that age! 🤣

Taking bread off the top would also seem more rudd like also it must be said.

Back