• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Initially I thought it was a Rudd, by the colour. I have caught Rudd before and it didn't imo jump out to me as true Rudd. I'm.just after someone who knows these specimens that will to tell me its A Rudd, Roach or an hybrid...

John, on roach the dorsal and pelvic fins start generally in a straight line from top to bottom.

Different in rudd.

I have caught a number of hybrids from the Test the last few years. And due eye colour that's is a possibility.

Last edited:
I’m my humble opinion it’s probably a hybrid.

Thats based on personal experience (roach to 3.01, rudd to 3.08 and hybrids to 2.15) and a quick look at the reference pics in Mark Wintle’s book - Big Roach.

Some stunning roach in the river Severn at moment . Been lucky to have a couple over 2lb now while fishing for them

Attachments

• 20220925_083853.jpg
    20220925_083853.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 212
My thoughts as well Joe, although if I’d caught it on the fens this summer I’d have returned it as a new pb Rudd without a second thought. Cracking fish.

Returned after a season off and managed to get lucky in a swim I had always avoided because it was too snaggy. Nice start to my Winter Roach campaign 2lb 7.5 oz. A couple of Barbel, lots of Roach to 1lb and about 40 chub, ( including one that looked like Marty Feldman I caught 3 times).

Attachments

• 20221109_161917 (2).jpg
    20221109_161917 (2).jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 170
Returned after a season off and managed to get lucky in a swim I had always avoided because it was too snaggy. Nice start to my Winter Roach campaign 2lb 7.5 oz. A couple of Barbel, lots of Roach to 1lb and about 40 chub, ( including one that looked like Marty Feldman I caught 3 times).
Fantastic session Mark.
Was you fishing bread?

Fantastic session Mark.
Fantastic session Mark.
Was you fishing bread?
I had the Roach on Caster, Started the day off fishing bread punch feeding liquidised. In the afternoon after drip feeding casters for about 3 hours I went over to caster (my favourite big Roach bait). I like the way caster goes from the hook on the strike leaving a bare hook. Maggot seems to get you more hook pulls on big roach. Maggot can fold over the point or stay on the hook giving less area of hook to stay attatched.

To the people who know their river roaching, what conditions make you change all plans and get out fishing for them, what’s ok and when is it hopeless?
Cheers

It depends on the river !

On the B Avon it needed to be virtually flooded and brown. But it was only 1 or 2 days a month ! Low and cold was a waste of time for the big fish. So you HAD to get there on the right day.

On bigger rivers Ive fished eg Wye and Thames you want it dropping but still warm and holding some colour.

My limited experience of the Hants Avon; fish bread when it’s coloured and warm ( as per B Avon) but you can still catch on small baits when it’s lower and clearer…..but others may not agree with me.

I find roach the most contrary species.

But in answer to your question Matt I would say conditions similar to barbel. If warm water has entered the river after a prolonged dry period

For what it's worth Matt, further to my comment above, under such conditions you will often find the fish in completely slack water but as I say they are very contrary so try a few spots

Back