• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rivers I have fished

Here is my list. Not very extensive but does include three river Stours.
Chelmer
Suffolk Stour
Gt Ouse
Nene
Thames
Kennet
Loddon
Dorset Stour
Hants Avon
Wye
Swale
Dovey
Kentish Stour
Trent

Had fun doing this (at work, with literally no work to do for literally the first time in my life) as I've never counted or listed my rivers before. My list is a bit false as I do get around a bit, go camping for reasons other than fishing, but take some gear with me, and I do tend to fish tributaries that are available on the same ticket as the bigger river, just for the sheer love of rivers and to explore something new, so the rivers marked* I have fished for a few hours only, and pretty much always blanked on all of them. But, FWIW, in the last 6 years since I've been back fishing, I've had a go at about 24 rivers but have only caught barbel on the 8 rivers marked "B."

Adur*
Aire B
Arrow*
Arun*
Avon (Warwicks)
Calder
Cod Beck* (Swale tributary)
Dee*
Holme* (Calder tributary)
Lugg* (Wye)
Monnow* (Wye)
Nidd B
Ouse (Yorks) B
Ribble*
Severn
Shannon
Swale B
Teme*
Trent B
Ure B
Vyrnwy*
Wharfe B
Whitham*
Wye B

A false list but not too bad, makes me realise I'm v. lucky considering I don't drive.

When I was a nipper in the seventies, I fished up to the age of 15/16. Mainly on summer hols and again not too bad considering no family members and nobody else I knew was into angling:
Blackwater (co Cork)
Brosna (co Offaly)
Conwy* and other Welsh rivers
Dee
Lee
Nith, water of Fleet and maybe some other SW Scottish rivers
Shannon (various stretches)
Suck (co. Offaly)
Tamar*
Weaver (I didn't know at the time that this was the river my ancestors lived and worked on for centuries - it was literally the river that put rivers in my blood)
Wyre (Lancs)

Between the ages of 16 and 50, I had a sum total of about 10 fishing sessions, always on hols, on these rivers.
Don't think I ever blanked though I also never caught anything impressive:

Aragon
Cam/Granta/Ely Ouse
Dordogne
Nile
Po
South Tyne
Thames
Vézère

Last edited:
Medway
Beault
Thames
Kent stour
Dorset stour
East sussex rother
Len
Tiese
Kennet
St pats
Darent
Cray
Shuttle

Not all for barbel all of them for chub or in case of beault tenching

In roughly chronological order with an asterisk against the ones that have produced barbel for me:

Thames*
Wey*
Mole
Colne*
Cherwell*
Bourne
Thame
Kennet*
Blackwater
Potts Stream
Hamps Avon*
Dorset Stour*
Welland
Nene
Witham
Teme*
Severn*
Wyre
Ribble*

Think that’s the lot.

Never fished the Trent, must get a grip !

Never caught a still-water one (nor would I wish to) but once caught one on the canalised section above Aldermaston Mill when fishing for chub.

Severn
Teme
W.Avon
B.avon
Warks stour
Rea
Thames
Ouse
Anker
Mease
Dove
Ebro
Segre
Nile
Zambezi
Weaver
St pats stream
Test
Itchen
Vrynwy
Wye
Merseyside
Tyne
Nene
Tees
Tweed
Conwy
Add
Ogwen
Taff
Wyre
Ribble
Usk
Rhymney
Erne
Shannon
Barrow
Suir
Blackwater
Moy
Brosna
Clare
Glyde
Humber
Esk
STYX
Calder
Roe
Ive
Beck
Gelt
Derwent

Will attempt to do this chronologically;

Nidd
Wharfe*
Hull*
Yorkshire Derwent
Trent*
Rye
Yorkshire Ouse
Rothay

Had barbel from the ones bearing an asterisk.

Can't wait to try a few more out, think the Swale, Don, Dearne, Wye and Thames will be next on the list.

Hi Alex, I think it’s a tributary of the Mole that flows into the Mole just before where the Mole joins the Thames near Hampton Court, great little river for silvers and chub, fished it a lot 30+ years ago !

Hampshire avon
Kennet
St Pats
Loddon
Thames
Ember
Wye

Should have fished the Itchen since I've lived within 5 minutes of it's banks for the last six years. One day.

Did you have much luck on that one? I've been meaning to give it a go for ages - maybe we should ask the mods to add it to the River Reports board? Seems to have more of a reputation for ghost carp than barbel but I've heard it's good for night fishing. In fact I've heard it's the only river where night fishing is compulsory (don't tell the BAA) 😂🤣

☠️😈💀🦴👹

Last edited:
Made me think a bit this thread as I have tended to fish only a handful of rivers on a regular basis in recent years but fished more than I though all told.

Here goes:

Dane
Dove
Trent
Severn
Teme
Vrynwy
Warks Avon
Wyre
Wye
Goyt
Etherow