• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Severn Misery

Hi men,

Julian , feeling older though :D .

Lucky , ultra lucky , fished for carp From the late 70,s through the glory years of no hair rigs , to making stainless for Leslies , the whole period was a fantastic , prob best , period in carp fishing . I'm mid 50,s now , just don't act it :D

Etiquette on the river for barbel anglers is generally good , as many on here know how to act on the bank . It's normally anglers who are new to rivers, holiday anglers who feel their limited time they need them to be more ruthless , and thick idiots that can't see they are doing wrong, and explaining it to them is a waste as they did it in the first place !.

Hatter

I did have a situation on my local river when an angler turned up on the opposite bank to me and started catapulting bait to the bushes just in front of me. I reeled in and recast to give the guy the benefit of the doubt as I was sitting well bank from the bank and also screened by undergrowth. On hearing my lead hitting the water he gave me a wave, apologised and moved upstream to fish another peg. Another angler form the same club dropped into the same peg an hour later but as he was fishing a few rods out on his side and was after silvers I didn't make a big deal about it. I can see how it could cause a confrontation but I am blessed by an under fished ( and understocked) river so tbh it's not that often I meet another angler. Although the club I am in does have a 30 yard rule and asks the new arrival to consult with the first angler before dropping into a peg.

I had a couple of anglers fishing opposite me on the fish in recently, and one of them was very near my bait on one of his casts, after he watched me catch my 3rd one he moved ha ha. Ive also been on the kennet opposite wasing, fishing close in under my bank and had a 3oz lead cast right under my feet, not to mention a bucket of boilies in the swim from the 3rd angler to prebait. It does make you mad but these days Its best to exercise caution, you might find your tyres slashed or worse. Anyone want a good laugh, have a look at the colne thread and see how I got on today, I had pikeys and horses for company.... game over, go home and put new strings on the guitar, no barbel fishing for me. God I miss the severn!

I had a couple of anglers fishing opposite me on the fish in recently, and one of them was very near my bait on one of his casts, after he watched me catch my 3rd one he moved ha ha. Ive also been on the kennet opposite wasing, fishing close in under my bank and had a 3oz lead cast right under my feet, not to mention a bucket of boilies in the swim from the 3rd angler to prebait. It does make you mad but these days Its best to exercise caution, you might find your tyres slashed or worse. Anyone want a good laugh, have a look at the colne thread and see how I got on today, I had pikeys and horses for company.... game over, go home and put new strings on the guitar, no barbel fishing for me. God I miss the severn!
It's a popular swim, Mick, it's quite common to have anglers fish it from both sides there. I'm not saying it's right, but it's common. Have you stopped smiling yet?

Beat me to it...thanks for putting it up, great film and a great scene, one of the best of all times:)
I seem to hear that music playing often along the Teme Valley...when the British version is made that's the place to set it. ;)
"Squeal like a piggy"

That days gonna keep me smiling all season I think, might be the only barbel I get into after todays escapade. Back after the chub on my usual Thames back water for now.

kris, i think i know where you were too. were you with a bunch of lads that came along off a carp forum site.
i know its not for me to apologize to you but dont give up on the rivers, have another go a the barbel, youll love em.

Iasked, because the Bewdley festival was on, and it would have been very busy with fishermen, canoes and a few merryments at night.

Some years ago I was fishing a stretch of the Kennet and had caught a few barbel, but was really looking forward to the action in the early evening as I had some quite good catches there the previous week.

There was no-one else fishing the stretch - it was quiet and peaceful. Suddenly a herd of stomping matchmen crossed from the adjoining stretch stopped behind me and one by one dumped their heavy boxes and holdall on the ground. The shock waves radiated out from the bank!!

"Caught anything mate???" Yes I was asked that a dozen times!!! Some I restrained myself from saying that there was ____ all chance of catching anything else now!!

Back