• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Severn Misery

Kris Spencer

I have just had the worst fishing experience of my life, I am a carp fisheman firstly and i though they were bad but what i just experienced on the river left me spechless, in fact it made me cut a 2 days trip short, I had enough and went home a day early.
Is there no etiquett to river fishing or unwritten rules? I got there early, was first there got first pick of the swims. It seemed every one wanted to fish my swim and did so regardless of the fact i was already fishing there. I could see 5 people opposite me all trying to cast a bait into my water, A chap turned up in the swim next to me and cast right ontop of my feeder. A bloke on the far bank spent all day f'ing and blinding, he shouted at me he shouted at another guy for daring to cast a feeder in. Surely you dont fish opposite people who are already fishing. This went on all day long, i have never experienced anthing like it before, even with all my years carp fishing.
I wont even mention people throwing stones in or the 5'000'000 canoes that disregard the fact your fishing.
Any one else experienced anything like this

Hi men ,

Not only normal river angler , but people who should know better . I turned up in a swim at the weekend . Tree to the right , willow to the left , long distance to the next downstream swim to my left . I lowered a bait dropper with one load , as I don't overbait , under the tree to the right , and was just baiting the rod to go under when a barbel angler with all the gear turned up. He stood behind the swim , and you could see the dilemma all over his face . He wanted to fish under the tree from the other side :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

" iv just bait dropped under there ! ", its ok , he said he would not cast under it , just drop it down the edge :eek::eek::eek::eek:. I said if he REALLY wanted to he could . I then let him drop it in , wound in and MOVED .

Hatter

Kris , I feel for you .Theres always a few plonkers out there who have no understanding of sporting etiquette whatsover . I fish the Yorkshire Ouse on a regular basis , now it is fair to say that this river is not thick with anglers and yet on a number of occasions I have had a fellow piscator set up bang opposite me with literally miles of river to go out , usually with an almighty clatter ruining it for both of us . There is no reasoning with these charlies , I just pack up and move . Only recently I was fishing in a very secluded spot when a bloke , knowing I was there settled 5 yards away from me the other side of a bush[ same bank] and cast straight in to my swim , at the same time depositing half a bag of pellets in the river for good measure ! Priceless :mad:

Last edited:
At least im not alone, you gave him the choice, he thought about it long and hard an must have come to the conclusion that yes I really am that desperate. :eek:
I would never in a million years fish opposite a guy on the river what goes though some peoples heads :mad:

Kris

The etiquette is the half-way rule for opposite banks, and if someone if fishing the opposite bank you can fish to half way. If no-one is the oppsite bank and it is leased by a different club then legally you should not cast over half way but everyone ignores that.

And yes what you mention is bad form but seen on many stretches of many rivers. I had one session on the Tidal Trent where I went downstream to avoid anglers and when I started to catch anglers set up on opposite bank and started casting across the river to the pegs below me. I did one too!

Hi men,

Not restricted to dayticket anglers either , as we paid £500 to fish Wasing estate, only to have people plonk down opposite !.

Hatter

difficult one this ......

most people say if there is somebody opposite they wont set up or move etc , but as has allready been stated , there is the half way rule & the person on the opposite bank could in theory be between 10 and 100 yrds away from you

on the smaller rivers its defo not cricket , but on the larger / wider rivers as long as people stay to their half of the river is it really a problem ???

its when the half way rule is ignored issues arise

You have my sympathy Kris. In addition to this breed of numpty I also seem to attract the indignant "but I always fish this swim!" brigade. Trouble is, it makes me stay far longer than I otherwise would! :rolleyes:

Fish mid-week and/or evenings only, then life is a lot more peaceful, have seen less than a dozen other anglers so far this season, most of those were on opening day!

You have my sympathy Kris. In addition to this breed of numpty I also seem to attract the indignant "but I always fish this swim!" brigade. Trouble is, it makes me stay far longer than I otherwise would! :rolleyes:

Haha, thats why when the rude chap demanded to know how long i was staying i said all day long :p

sounds like certain spots on the severn at hampton loade!

Kris I think I know where you was fishing . Trouble is its the main 2 weeks holiday. What I do is go evening when people pack up telling me how rubbish it is fishing in bright sun shine all day. I fish there swims as they pre baited for me (bless them ) and 9 times out of ten I catch . If you walk to the end of that stretch you would have been alright as no one goes down that end

Back