• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Severn Misery

Frustrating as it is Kris, as as seasoned River only type you get to know the places to avoid especially in Summer, that's why I would not dream again of fishing the Middle Severn at this time of year, the only time I did it was a bank holiday it was manic, even had an ice cream van pull up in my swim:(
Just wait till the Autumn /Winter and you won't see a soul LUVVERLY:)

Hi men,

Not restricted to dayticket anglers either , as we paid £500 to fish Wasing estate, only to have people plonk down opposite !.

Hatter
You must have been on the Dalston beat then Mark. I had it happen a couple of times at Aldermarston but I think the opposite bank there's the Reading water?

Frustrating as it is Kris, as as seasoned River only type you get to know the places to avoid especially in Summer, that's why I would not dream again of fishing the Middle Severn at this time of year, the only time I did it was a bank holiday it was manic, even had an ice cream van pull up in my swim:(
Just wait till the Autumn /Winter and you won't see a soul LUVVERLY:)

Only certain parts of the mid Severn get that bad. I can walk for miles and not see a soul on our stretches.

Hi men,

Alex, Reading is just below aldermaston , obviously it's Wasing double bank for a while .
We had it done to us a couple if times on the Warren beat, once up by the salmon hut, and if it wernt for my obvious displeasure upstream of the footbridge .

Hatter

just reading about mark and kris, on how some anglers think that they own the ****ing river,like as the lads said above fishing opposite to you and casting into ure swim, well lads, the answer is to carry some trebble hooks and cast towards there lines,and after 2/3 harry raddalls, tangle the thick ****s ,should get the idea, thats what i do,
but if there on my side of the bank, i have no seconds thought of banjo them ,full stop no messing around, kk

Swim trouble

Have this kind of prob on the Ribble,one of the stretched I fish is day ticket one bank,private Salmon anglers opposite,the Salmon anglers know the salmon holding spots,problem is that they are best positioned to cast to them from the dsy ticket bank,so they wade across,straight over the swim you have been feeding up for a couple of hours,stand only a matter of yards kn front of you and cast to their preffered spot .I find that a well placed 3oz feeder loaded with something unpleasant landing across their line tends to have the desired effect,problem is by the time you do that its too late,you cannot talk to some of them,they pay their big bucks to fish and think that we are somehow brneath them,makes my blood boil............having said that,about one in five seem reasonable enough to leave your swim alone,pity the other 4wd Hardy Salmon Rod wielding idiots dont have the same attitude.

Dave

and how exactly do you think such an attitude makes you look ? hard or stupid ?

Sam, i can see Eddie,s point of view. Its not about being hard or stupid, its about having respect for your fellow anglers. I would NEVER interfere with another anglers swim. If someone is there before you, tough luck, find somewhere else. I wouldn,t do it to them, so i don,t expect them to do it to ME. If i,d been at the river, say, a couple of hours, and someone started casting in my swim, i too would be well and truely p*****d off, wouldn,t you ?

Its a common problem on the middle Severn this time of year, lots of holiday Anglers and the Canoeists who think they have more right on the river than anglers..I took my Dad fishing on the middle Severn Saturday just gone, hes not been fishing for years so this was a birthday treat for him..The day was going well, then about dinner time masses of canoeists started desending down the river, my Dad politely asked some of the Canoeists if they could watch his line and move out to the middle of the river, which in my opinion is where they should be..The canoeists gave my Dad some abuse which i was not going to stand for and i lost my temper..Unfortunately this resulted in myself having a confrontation with this bunch of idiots which nearly ruined the day..It just seems a FREE for all on certain parts of the middle Severn and as someone has mentioned your better off trying too find somewhere quite, but you cant get away from inconsiderate canoeists who really do think they have more right than Anglers to be on the river..

and how exactly do you think such an attitude makes you look ? hard or stupid ?

I agree Sam, I have lost it a couple of times with inconsiderate Kyakers mainly, but to assault someone is not on, anyway it would reflect badly on the Anglers, drag our sport through the mud and quite possibly lose the rights to fish on that particular stretch thus ruining for everyone.

On some sections of the Wear we have all of the above, plus to-wards the evening we have the ****ing sea trout anglers come wading through your swim.

Having said that I never have a problem with the game anglers on the club waters where I am membership secretary ;) Apart for one guy who said to me once "we try to discourage 'your type' from fishing this water" :mad:
After a few words he departed, I've never seen or heard from him again.

On some sections of the Wear we have all of the above, plus to-wards the evening we have the ****ing sea trout anglers come wading through your swim.

Having said that I never have a problem with the game anglers on the club waters where I am membership secretary ;) Apart for one guy who said to me once "we try to discourage 'your type' from fishing this water" :mad:
After a few words he departed, I've never seen or heard from him again.

The Chairman on Tuesday

Any further trouble from such arrogant unspeakables, John, you know where We are...

As ever,

B.B.

Makes you laugh doesn't it............good people coming to blows over friggin fish and fishing!!:eek:

Brings to mind summat I wrote twenty-odd years ago now, about how fish (as do beautiful women) can bring out the best and the worst in men. Seen plenty of the latter since...

I know most anglers these days seem to think the fish are either down the middle or on the other side to wherever they are fishing, but call me old fashioned, I tend to fish under the bank I am on, usually a rod or so out when fishing for Barbel (because that's where the usually are) so I am not sure why it should be a problem fishing opposite some one doing likewise on the other bank as is occasionally (very occasionally and only usual if you are unfortunate enough to be fishing opposite a BAA bit) the case on rivers such a the Teme.
Sometimes I quite enjoy another angler arriving on the opposite bank as if they spook the fish over there they may well come over to me.
I do get a little agitated by anglers fishing a few feet downstream of me...but this is pretty rare these days and any stretch of river that crowded makes me just go elsewhere.

Hi men ,

Many years ( 80ish ) ago I was fishing a lake for carp through the winter , and catching very regular :) , doing nothing revolutionary , just getting things right . Fishing with a mate , I got my bait into position nearly half way across the lake , onto a patch of slit . I had a couple of fish , things were looking good , when another angler turned up opposite me just as things were getting dark . I recast , mainly so he could see where i was fishing , only to see his rig fly out , almost bang in the middle of the rings left by my rig :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. I was livid , steam coming out of my ears , I was off to confront this idiot , only to be calmed down by my mate , so we ignored him .

During first light I had another 2 fish , when his rig flew out nearer me than mine :eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:. That was it , I was off rapid , and looking to show him the error of his ways . He then set off quickly in my direction :eek: , with people following knowing I would 100% throw the first ;).

Meeting with each other we burst into laughter . It was someone I knew , Alan Taylor ( wacker catcher baits , and general big carp angler ) . Being very cut thoat at the time , he was on the ball , and said he just wanted to see what I was up to.

Over a cuppa it we chatted over rigs / baits / location , then off he went chuckling . Now , we just move , simple .

Hatter

Thank you for every ones views on this thread, its interesting to see such varied opinions from both sides of the river. The way i would approach the situation now i think depends on the swim in question, if there is steady flow through the middle of the swim and its wide enough then i would not have a problem with the half way rule, but if you get into a narrow swim that has an obvious area to fish that is to one side of the river, like a fast run on the far or near side then i dont think it is ok to fish opposite and cast into this water. Especially when you have made it obvious where your fishing, and you can see they have seen where your fishing. When the guys turned up at 9am to fish i had already been there over 4 hours and with constant casting had put out a good couple of kilos of pellet on one rod, 4 pint of maggot on the other and caught fish. For some one to bully me out of a swim in this situation would end up costing me money, it would be a waste of bait and a waste of the £40 in petrol it costs me to get there. People who do this dont realise the implications of their actions, they do not consider that i might have been waiting a month to get back down there, that i had been up for 30hours to arrive early and that i dont have the money to have my days fishing ruined. hence why i was thoroughly hacked off

Last edited:
Sam, i can see Eddie,s point of view. Its not about being hard or stupid, its about having respect for your fellow anglers. I would NEVER interfere with another anglers swim. If someone is there before you, tough luck, find somewhere else. I wouldn,t do it to them, so i don,t expect them to do it to ME. If i,d been at the river, say, a couple of hours, and someone started casting in my swim, i too would be well and truely p*****d off, wouldn,t you ?

not to the point i'd "banjo" them, whatever that is....

Back