• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Records updated

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I have just updated our river records list with 3 updates, including an amazing (and surprising) new records for my beloved Bristol Avon! The new records are as follows:

Bristol Avon - 17lb 5oz
Dearne - 16lb 5oz
Don - 14lb 5oz

The whole list with photos of the new records can be viewed here:

I keep a log of historical records here:

Congratulations to all the new record holders!!

Cheers,
Andy F

Bristol Avon monster and it was a pleasure to witness.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-000159_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-000159_WhatsApp.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 233
Well done to all the captors, nice to see that wlth all the doom and gloom regards river conditions, there are still some fantastic barbel to be caught,
Regards

The Bristol Avon record is amazing and in my opinion is not getting enough recognition as there are very few fish in that stretch of river and the river throughout. A 17 off the Bristol Avon is as good as one of those big 19 or 20lb fish off other rivers an amazing catch which makes the river look good when its far from it so well done that man :) 😀😃.
Andy

The Bristol Avon record is amazing and in my opinion is not getting enough recognition as there are very few fish in that stretch of river and the river throughout. A 17 off the Bristol Avon is as good as one of those big 19 or 20lb fish off other rivers an amazing catch which makes the river look good when its far from it so well done that man :) 😀😃.
Andy
Very true Andy, yes a wonderful fish, but is indicative of the problems most rivers are facing with isolated big females that don't have the males to breed with. I would much rather see a larger head of smaller males and a good amount of breeding females. My local Avon, Warks has the same problem, and is I fear going the same was as the Bristol, we can only hope that things will change, somehow.
I am Bristol born and bred, and grew up fishing the Avon, from Keynsham to Malmesbury, and caught my first ever Barbel at Chippenham, very sad to see this river a shadow of her former self.

Hi Neil i totally agree mate and i would rather see that as well, A number of fish were stocked in the river a few months ago so fingers crossed, I personally don`t think the breeding habitat is correct some way or another and the numbers have slowly dwindled over that last 10 years or so and i don`t think its just otters there is something else wrong? used to watch lots of spawning fish at different spots and now nothing.

Back