• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Retirement and fishing, more or less

With my retirement money I'd probably buy this place. While I was waiting for the money to come through I'm sure the guy that lives there now wouldn't mind me parking my caravan on his lawn. I'd wake up each day, fry some sausages and decide whether to fish the Pats to my right or the Loddon to my left.

The house of my dreams too!! Cherry Eyot is currently up for sale, the current owner, Clive is a great guy, have fished from his garden with him and his son a couple of times, will be a pity when they go... Hope pro fishing people buy it.

Anyone feeling flush??

Property for sale - Loddon Drive, Wargrave, Reading, Berkshire, RG10 | Knight Frank

Mr Elliot, with all your money you could afford it.
Seriously Graham once I chop my hours down I'll be able to catch up with you a bit more.
I'm on the Wye Sunday week for 5 days. Only had 10 rod hours so far this season, deseparate to get out on the river bank.

Hi Paul.
Im there from 18th for quite a few days guesting and looking after (not guiding) couple of very famous angling old timers.

Graham

interesting topic,i retired due to health a couple of years ago,but fishing at that time was a perhaps once a week thing,and very rarely a whole day,Sue used to finish work early and liked me to be home with her.Sadly that all changed last year when i lost Sue to cancer,Fishing was far from my mind,but in oct i decided to get out again it was a great help,i must say.What i have found though is going to often became wearing,and dare i say boring.I have been lucky enough to have had some good fish,so not all bad.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Raymond,..I can only try and imagine how painful that must be and how difficult it would be to focus on other things that would seem only trivial by comparison.
Angling of course can be a great way of concentrating the mind, especially when there is a group of nice fish snaffling your freebies in a clear swim. On the down side, it can often be contemplative during the quite periods, [ Which seem only too regular for me! ] , but it just takes a good wrap on the rod tip to wake me from any wistfulness and put me back into hunter gatherer mode!
I think I will always continue to get out on the bank because I love the peace and quite and never tire of watching the wildlife, much better than daytime telly!
Maybe it's because I've spent most of my life working inside in a noisy enviroment.
Hope you start enjoying your fishing again.
All the best
dt

thanks dave,its guys like you,who dont even know me,but who give me encouragement to carry on,lift my spirits,and persevere.As you say it can be something that sets your mind racing,and not in a good way for me.Being able to go whenever i wish has enabled me to up my pb though,been concentrating on the nene as we moved to cambridge 18 months ago now,had a couple of 11s,a 14,and a new pb of 16 2,would never had those if Sue was still with me,sure she was looking down though.

Back