• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Retirement and fishing, more or less

Ex Pat? Where did I say I lived in Spain?....... I said I spent 9 or 10 weeks of the year fishing in Spain. You really must pay attention Neil.

Yup Wye Valley is lovely, go and fish Collingham on the Trent for an illustration of my point. Fishing here generally aint what it was though,..... in my opinion!

As for the country as a whole, and the way of life here, I know of better places.

I have the choice though, I am aware that Collingham might not be what I want, and if I need peace and quiet the is the Teme or Arrow, as far as fishing is not as good as it was point you make where would that be? Granted the Ouse Teme and a few other Rivers have suffered but the trend is not all downhill, as the picture you paint with this country. You really need to explore some other River here perhaps ? You might be surprised, or have you 'done' them all?

You have a non native 'handle' Mr Rocca :) I Understand I really do.

Grass is always Greener I guess, and there will always be 'Better' whatever that is.

Explore some rivers here Neil!....... I spent 30 years fishing almost all of them. So yes "done" most.
Everyone has choice, I choose to mainly fish in Spain,... having done both I make my choice through experience. An option you don't have.

Despite my name I am as British as you, other than a half Irish mother. :) Mind you weren't the "Smarts" a travelling family?

Good on yer Tone.

I consider myself lucky to live near Maidenhead in the Thames valley.

Great rivers nearby and lots of open country nearby. Also the house in the Wye valley.

I have so say though the first few times I fished BAA waters on the Severn near Worcester they were littered with bottles cans and rubbish. Hopefully they have improved.

If I lived near some of the socially altered by the a la Jeremy Kyle workshy and the no go immigration areas I would have left years ago.

Explore some rivers here Neil!....... I spent 30 years fishing almost all of them. So yes "done" most.
Everyone has choice, I choose to mainly fish in Spain,... having done both I make my choice through experience. An option you don't have.

Despite my name I am as British as you, other than a half Irish mother. :) Mind you weren't the "Smarts" a travelling family?

No not traveller's as such, not in the term you might mean anyway :) I have an option to fish anywhere Tony, I have an Italian wife and her family have land in Italy including a lake stuffed with carp, near the Adriatic, I have fished there and it's nice, I have fished the Indian Ocean in the Gulf. again nice, fished France, Belgium and so on, the point I am making is I am not a dyed in the wool English bloody minded, just someone who can say that this country of our's is still the best in both River Sea and Land.

Of course some might disagree, but they might be just plain wrong. :rolleyes:

Good on yer Tone.

I consider myself lucky to live near Maidenhead in the Thames valley.

Great rivers nearby and lots of open country nearby. Also the house in the Wye valley.

I have so say though the first few times I fished BAA waters on the Severn near Worcester they were littered with bottles cans and rubbish. Hopefully they have improved.

If I lived near some of the socially altered by the a la Jeremy Kyle workshy and the no go immigration areas I would have left years ago.

It is a problem litter, it always is of late, only yesterday I picked up a load from my local Mill Avon, it's the Big Society they say, if we all actually did something about our litter / yobs then it would disappear, always someone else's problem though / 'don't get involved' mentality.

Not having a you at you, just a genial rant.

Hi Howard, I have retired recently and now plan my trips to river conditions and not booked days off work. I have found it much more relaxing as you can walk the bank pre sessions and plumb and bait up at your leisure no need to rush home after work etc. My fishing partner only works at weekends so it works really well. Off to the wye on thursday if we get some rain.

Neil, you said........"It is a problem litter, it always is of late, only yesterday I picked up a load from my local Mill Avon, it's the Big Society they say, if we all actually did something about our litter / yobs then it would disappear, always someone else's problem though / 'don't get involved' mentality".

Make your mind up man, one min we still live in a green and pleasant land, the next litters a big issue as are yobs......... I fish where there are neither.

You have a point Neil...sort of. If you are fairly big, fit and can handle yourself, then by all means have a go at the yobs. A lot of the time you will get away with it, and the one time you don't....well, what's left of the NHS will do their very best to fit you in, provided you come into one of their 'target groups'...and your stab wounds missed anything vital.

The point is Neil, even if you take that risk, it won't make one iota of difference. The yob mentality is set in stone now, a by product of a well meaning welfare state gone horribly wrong. The total lack of discipline and the 'hands off' nanny state, reinforced by the more recent 'political correctness' disease that is now endemic, aided and abetted by the self serving, brain dead morons that now run this country from Europe...have produced what you now see. The only uncertainty about all this is what the FINAL end product will be.

Ignore all the rhetoric from Cameron, the promises of action on this, that and every other issue that the electorate are waking up to and complaining about. His words are just that...words. They are uttered to appease, to try to claw back those members of the electorate that are now voting UKIP (even if the majority of them are just protest votes, as mine is). Once the next election is done, dusted and a distant memory, we will not have had the vote on EU membership as promised, in fact we will have even less say in our own destiny than we did before (whether that is ultimately a good idea or not). The grip around our throats by the madmen in charge of policy making in the EU will be enormously strengthened, and we will be inexorably set on a path which leads....who the hell knows where?

At my time in life, I shouldn't be too worried...I have had a decent life, so what the hell. However, I have children and grandchildren to think of, and that does worry me. It may all end well...I would not be the first old fart to be unduly worried for future generations, it comes with age :D And...this IS still at least ONE of the better places to live. The problem with that thought is...have you watched the world news for the last few years? Not good out there is it? And it's getting worse, so not much competition for 'best place to live' is there?

Oh well Neil, as I say, I am just a cynical old fart. I am sure everything will be fine :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Neil, you said........"It is a problem litter, it always is of late, only yesterday I picked up a load from my local Mill Avon, it's the Big Society they say, if we all actually did something about our litter / yobs then it would disappear, always someone else's problem though / 'don't get involved' mentality".

Make your mind up man, one min we still live in a green and pleasant land, the next litters a big issue as are yobs......... I fish where there are neither.

''Make your mind up Man'' geez your an arrogant one

Of course where there is population there will always be an element that don't conform, however if we do nothing then indeed we are lost. Two ways of looking at it I guess , yours, and look at Spain if you will, as a better place to live, or mine in that this country is my historical home that is also thought by many as to be the best place to live in the World.

It would be a very long list of reasons as to why that should be, I doubt anyway you would disagree, after all this is where despite all your complaining you still live here, the fact that I assumed you were an Ex Pat was that you thought so little of the UK :rolleyes:

You have a point Neil...sort of. If you are fairly big, fit and can handle yourself, then by all means have a go at the yobs. A lot of the time you will get away with it, and the one time you don't....well, what's left of the NHS will do their very best to fit you in, provided you come into one of their 'target groups'...and your stab wounds missed anything vital.

The point is Neil, even if you take that risk, it won't make one iota of difference. The yob mentality is set in stone now, a by product of a well meaning welfare state gone horribly wrong. The total lack of discipline and the 'hands off' nanny state, reinforced by the more recent 'political correctness' disease that is now endemic, aided and abetted by the self serving, brain dead morons that now run this country from Europe...have produced what you now see. The only uncertainty about all this is what the FINAL end product will be.

Ignore all the rhetoric from Cameron, the promises of action on this, that and every other issue that the electorate are waking up to and complaining about. His words are just that...words. They are uttered to appease, to try to claw back those members of the electorate that are now voting UKIP (even if the majority of them are just protest votes, as mine is). Once the next election is done, dusted and a distant memory, we will not have had the vote on EU membership as promised, in fact we will have even less say in our own destiny than we did before (whether that is ultimately a good idea or not). The grip around our throats by the madmen in charge of policy making in the EU will be enormously strengthened, and we will be inexorably set on a path which leads....who the hell knows where?

At my time in life, I shouldn't be too worried...I have had a decent life, so what the hell. However, I have children and grandchildren to think of, and that does worry me. It may all end well...I would not be the first old fart to be unduly worried for future generations, it comes with age :D And...this IS still at least ONE of the better places to live. The problem with that thought is...have you watched the world news for the last few years? Not good out there is it? And it's getting worse, so not much competition for 'best place to live' is there?

Oh well Neil, as I say, I am just a cynical old fart. I am sure everything will be fine :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

I concur with a lot of what you say, however it really is not as bad I think as you always portray, you seem to me to be a bit of a Trotsky :) Nothing wrong with that, but the reality is that there will always be problems with society no matter who is in Government. I think Cameron is a good man, however the fickle English public will tire of him as they tire of all PM's and their respective parties, and so the cycle is repeated. Personally I dislike the EU, but I don't really know the implications fully if we opted out, and yes the free passage of EU folk has created a huge problem in this country.

I am on old fart too:) and I should now better, or so Maria tells me and 'don't get involved' but I still do, engage in rhetoric not fists has to be the Manta I guess.

Smashing dog BTW, as I have said many a time, I love dogs, more than people really, and don't worry it only takes about 6 years for a Spaniel to grow up, I should know.

Right I'm off with a bag of Donkey Chokers to my local, wish you could be with me, at least we could put the world to rights.:)

Neil

Neil,.. All my complaining? I prefer to fish in Spain at the mo, that's all, its nicer and the fishing is good, so are the people.

You however get "annoyed" should you think someone is detracting somehow from this Country.

You posted "I really get annoyed off with ex pats that stick the knife into this beautiful country of ours in favour of some part of the world they now consider home".............

Thats not even a proper sentence and you obviously didn't read my post properly before jumping to your WRONG conclusion.

I may have reasons for living here that have nothing to do with fishing. Its not my whole life you know.

Retired 5 years now fish 4 to 5 days a week Love it. Get up in the morning and do what you want to do. When I was working fished 5 afternoons and evenings a week.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Back