• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Retirement and fishing, more or less

Some great responses there chaps and clearly some mixed approaches to dealing with retirement and plenty of food for thought. It's interesting that many people have sought to build some degree of structure and pattern into their retirement time which to an extent can be driven by family demands. Staying fit and healthy it's naturally a key component too and I know this plays a part with my dad who has to think carefully about how far he walks from his car to his swim.

Thanks again.

With a degree of reluctance I have an interest in this thread as time marches on.
Perhaps like some I am a little anxious that my fishing mojo will diminish once I potentially have unlimited access to the banks.
I keep buying rods and reels so I must be keen.
Somewhat reassurring therefore that my two adult children , two young dogs and my favourite wife will all need time and attention (and cash).Thus making a fishing session/trip something to look forward to, as a little reward to myself for helping someone out ,completing a job at home or motivation to undertake some other mundane chore.

Is it me or do others spend as much time sorting tackle out as they do actually fishing ?
I have got so much gear that there are lots of choices to be made and then the worry of forgetting to take something.
Say to myself "last thing I want to do is forget to take that" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and that is normally the last thing I do ! (forget to take it)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D they,re better than spanish ones tony and remember nothings as good as a genuine english apple:)
may the wild barbel in spain remain so mate, theres a really nice 4 bed house in spain, 3 bathrooms, dining room, kitchen, good sized lounge, big walk in wardrobe
air con, fully furnished with good quality stuff, even got a a stocked up drinks section:), all ya need is food and people going very very cheap, oh and 2 solariums:) me i am moving back down south of england soon

Your even appleist Neil.

I am, the fact that such a bland apple as the GD can outsell superior British Apples in Britain is marketing 'genius', much the same as our Pig industry, the housewife was conned into the lean is better lie by the Danes....Way off topic now, I feel another slap on the wrists coming from little Jeff :eek:

Hi men,

Retirement - early retirement - fishing abroad - apples - verity of apples - EU market - lean bacon - pig food !. Now I'm on Facebook a lot , and the posts never turn into a conversation as eclectic as this !.

Hatter

Counting the days

Well it happens to me this year I turn 65 in November and have made a decision that I will continue to work for 3 days a week. Rest of the time I'll either be at home or fishing somewhere. My circumstances changed 2 years ago when I lost my wife it meand I can no longer afford to finish completely. Apart from that I have a great job which involves my other passion Rugby Union, so three days plus match days it will be for me.
A stressful job knocked down to 3 days means more me time and having worked solidly since I was 15 I think I have earned it.

Paul

Well it happens to me this year I turn 65 in November and have made a decision that I will continue to work for 3 days a week. Rest of the time I'll either be at home or fishing somewhere. My circumstances changed 2 years ago when I lost my wife it meand I can no longer afford to finish completely. Apart from that I have a great job which involves my other passion Rugby Union, so three days plus match days it will be for me.
A stressful job knocked down to 3 days means more me time and having worked solidly since I was 15 I think I have earned it.

Paul

Yes Paul, I would say you have. Sounds like a good balance you have found there. Best of luck.

With my retirement money I'd probably buy this place. While I was waiting for the money to come through I'm sure the guy that lives there now wouldn't mind me parking my caravan on his lawn. I'd wake up each day, fry some sausages and decide whether to fish the Pats to my right or the Loddon to my left.

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 237
Trouble is Nick,last winter you couldn't get down the lane for 3 months without a tractor due to the depth of water and on top of that you would have a load of fishermen looking at you from the opposite bank.Not great for a multi million pound house!!!!

Back