• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel hunt

Richard Barnatt

I sold a pair of Shimano X Aero 6000 as I found them too big, then got a pair of DL 4000, but find them too small, so like Goldilocks, I want something inbetween which will be "just right". With the current situation, going out to try is not on, so trawling the net I have come up with 2 contenders, daiwa Emcast BR (not the LT version) or possibly Fox EOS 5 or 7000. Does anyone have any experience with these, or any suggestions ? Double handle preferred and up to about £80 per reel. Just to add, baitrunner style.

Last edited:
Yeah there definitely is as joe rightly said
It’s quite a leap in size and weight between models.
Have you thought about maybe the Xaero 4000? It’s closer to that in between size your looking for because of the over sized spool and rotor.
It’s also heavier than the D and OC so it may balance up better on heavier rods.
I’ve got the baby 2500 FA model for my little chub quiver rod and it’s a Cracking reel

Worth considering as a in between size option. However the front drag models are now difficult to come by so you’ll need to search and be patient.

Superb little reel got one on my carbonactive asaki quivertip rod.A very well balanced pairing.
Yeah it’s a lovely little reel. Me and kids took it to our local commercial on a short pellet waggler rod and had some great sport on it. Youngest one had a 17,5 ghost common out.
I’ve got the worlds jammyest kids ever. They just consistently catch bigger fish than me.

I had X Aero 4000's a few years ago, again, they just seemed too small on a 2lb barbel/carp rod. I sold a pair of aero GT 5010 to fund the x-aero 6000 reels, they were a nice size, but felt a bit woolly. May have to wait for a shop to open, so I can have a look at them in the flesh. Any thoughts on any other makes ?

I’ve used the Fox 7000 many moons ago and wouldn’t go near one again. I thought it was poorly put together and pretty heavy if remember rightly.

I’d be very surprised if they would have the longevity of a decent Shimano or Daiwa reel.

Are the 6000 OC reels physically smaller than x Aero ones ? There were a couple for sale on here.
I’ve used the Fox 7000 many moons ago and wouldn’t go near one again. I thought it was poorly put together and pretty heavy if remember rightly.

I’d be very surprised if they would have the longevity of a decent Shimano or Daiwa reel.
Were they the Fox EOS or Strattos ? I had Strattos and they were VERY heavy, possibly to do with the 16 bearings in it, over complicated and fragile, a shame, as on paper it sounded great. The fox EOS reels are much lighter and have not heard so many horror stories, but never seen one so no idea of physical size.

Last edited:
Are the 6000 OC reels physically smaller than x Aero ones ? There were a cou

Were they the Fox EOS or Strattos ? I had Strattos and they were VERY heavy, possibly to do with the 16 bearings in it, over complicated and fragile, a shame, as on paper it sounded great. The fox EOS reels are much lighter and have not heard so many horror stories, but never seen one so no idea of physical size.
Very good point Richard, it was a Stratos so apologies for that! I’d obviously tried to bury the experience!

The 5000 RE's are excellent as are the old 5010's, trouble is finding good ones now is difficult but they are still out there....I have plenty of Shimano's in all sizes, from the 2500's to 6010, but I enjoy a lighter smaller reel especially in the summer. From a comment by Clive Shipman (good enough for me) on here giving the thumbs up to the Okuma Pulzar 4000 I bought one, and it really looks the part , they do a 5000 and 6000 might be worth considering. At under £40 they are cheap, but Okuma reels are good, in fact I have two Okuma 4000's now since I managed to free the stiffness from the Epix.
Pulzar pic.

download (1).jpg

Are the 6000 OC reels physically smaller than x Aero ones ? There were a couple for sale on here.

Fox EOS have had a few problems Richard.

I'm pretty much settled on the Emcast BR, 2 aluminium spools, double and single handles, seem to be a bargain at the moment, possibly due to the newer (and in my opinion poorer) LT version. Just got to decide size now.

I had a pair of the Fox 10000 some years ago and was not impressed! I currently have a pair of Emcast 4000BR which I find ideal for my barbel fishing, they replaced my Shimano 3500B's and I've not regretted the change. I have a pair of Shimano DL4000FA which I use for my tench fishing, they don't have the same cranking power as the Daiwa's.

Ive read a lot about “cranking power” regarding reels. I read a post on here from some time ago saying the aero x 4000 lacked power compared to the oc or D which made me chuckle a bit. Two things govern cranking power or torque
Length of handle
Gear ratio.
That’s it ........ period.........! A reel is a gear box and the motor is you.
If the reels gear ratio is the same but one handle is longer than the other that’s not the reel lacking power or torque that’s the angler being fooled by a simple leverage change.
Higher speed geared reels have lower torque and vice verca.
In the case of the aerox compared to the D the gear ratio and in fact complete internal design is near on exactly the same. The difference is the handle length on the D been longer so your fooled to believe it’s a more gutsy reel but it’s far from the case.

I’ve been using Shimmy 4000 X-Aero’s on my tench rods for over five seasons now and I really rate them, not had any issues with them at all. Great line lay and superb clutch, they balance perfectly on my interceptors. I replaced the double handles with the replacement single handles that are fitted to the 4000 ST FA. Up there with the best reels I’ve ever owned.

I’m pretty easy going ref single or double handles. Neither seem to bother or over excite me really.
Yeah I think they are quite a nice reel. I like the fact they come with spare spools but I really really like the fact that they come with spool spacers to covert them into deep or shallow spools.
I don’t know if that’s the case with the bigger ones but with the baby 2500 FA you can fill a spool with a standard 100m of 4lb line or the same spool with 150m of 10lb line.
Such a simple but really great idea. Never seen it before.

Back