• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel hunt

Any one had one of these reels i had a pair a few years ago they had a decent front clutch on them

Attachments

• 0F64306C-BDD6-4684-A4D5-148FCBC409A9.png
    0F64306C-BDD6-4684-A4D5-148FCBC409A9.png
    827.8 KB · Views: 248
Any feedback on your Emcasts Richard? I am in the same boat as you. Finding the DL4000's a bit small on my barbel rods.

Hi Ian, in similar style to the Emcast BR's, I have just purchased a pair of Daiwa Black Widow BR 3500a off a nice chap on this forum. I wanted them to replace my Shimano DL 6000 RB's that are just a little large & clunky on my 11 foot rods. I only received them yesterday so have not yet used (but they are now spooled with my braid and ready to go!). Clutch and baitrunner facility feel fantastic and very smooth, and it is always confidence inspiring when the line/braid goes on smooth and uniform. They do them in 3500/4000/4500 & 5000 size.

Here's a couple of comparison pics between the outgoing 6000's and the new 3500a's, I did wonder if the 3500 might be too small but now they are on the rods I feel they are a perfect match up. I think the Black Widow RRP is £68, but they can be had new for £55 each, and seem to represent excellent value for money at that price 👍

PS - whoever's tip it was to secure reel handles with hair bands is a bloody genius!! 😂

Hi Ian, in similar style to the Emcast BR's, I have just purchased a pair of Daiwa Black Widow BR 3500a off a nice chap on this forum. I wanted them to replace my Shimano DL 6000 RB's that are just a little large & clunky on my 11 foot rods. I only received them yesterday so have not yet used (but they are now spooled with my braid and ready to go!). Clutch and baitrunner facility feel fantastic and very smooth, and it is always confidence inspiring when the line/braid goes on smooth and uniform. They do them in 3500/4000/4500 & 5000 size.

Here's a couple of comparison pics between the outgoing 6000's and the new 3500a's, I did wonder if the 3500 might be too small but now they are on the rods I feel they are a perfect match up. I think the Black Widow RRP is £68, but they can be had new for £55 each, and seem to represent excellent value for money at that price 👍

PS - whoever's tip it was to secure reel handles with hair bands is a bloody genius!! 😂

I have had the Daiwa Black Widow BR for a couple of years. Bought when I was needing a light BR for the river and could not justify spending more than around £50.

It has been faultless and taken plenty of barbel now - best "bang for your buck" on the baitrunner market imho!

Still bought a little Shimano OC baitrunner more recently, it's good - but not twice as good! (around £106)

Should add.... the Daiwa fixed spool reels are always a little bigger than a similar size number from Shimano.

@Steve Arnold ah that's good to hear, can't wait to use and catch on them to be honest. I also have a pair of Shimano 6000D on my other rods and they are very nice. Think I paid £120 each for them but as you say, performance won't be 2.5 times better 👍

Back