• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel hunt

I’ve been using Shimmy 4000 X-Aero’s on my tench rods for over five seasons now and I really rate them, not had any issues with them at all. Great line lay and superb clutch, they balance perfectly on my interceptors. I replaced the double handles with the replacement single handles that are fitted to the 4000 ST FA. Up there with the best reels I’ve ever owned.
Joe have you not had the line going under the spool issue yet they are murder for it ... had to hand line a barbel in once because of it...
Ss2600,s with QD spool cap for me these days as good as any baitrunner... and with the carbon washers absolutely superb clutch

Joe have you not had the line going under the spool issue yet they are murder for it ... had to hand line a barbel in once because of it...
Ss2600,s with QD spool cap for me these days as good as any baitrunner... and with the carbon washers absolutely superb clutch
That’s not good. I’ll have to watch out for that one. I’ve not had mine very long as I bought it from a member on here for a new chubbing rod I’m having built. So under the spool you have this plastic basket, I assume you mean the line gets rapped in the gap between the spool and the basket??

The line somehow gets under the spool and wraps round the spindle.. everyone I know who has them has had it on the 4000,s Trouble is you can’t see it happening in the dark That’s what happened to me I loved the reels but just lost all confidence in them

I’ve read comments from a few people reporting the same issue, but I can’t honestly recall that happening even once. As I say they been on my tench rods over 5 years, I’m nearly always fishing 2-3 rods, with regular recasting (as I Iike to be a bit hyper when it comes to tench) fishing up to 70 yards range. From April - June I try and have one 30 hr session a week. Almost always using 10lb Pro Gold (sadly for not much longer..).

I can’t work out how it would happen Terry?

Can’t say I’ve ever used them in the dark. My tench rods get wound in before it goes dark, and a carp rod or two goes out overnight till dawn.

I don’t know either joe I did think it might happe because we do a lot of underarm casting and sometimes you get tha momentary slack between the rod and lead which you don’t tend to get with an overhead cast.... who knows joe

Few comments in this thread

Looking closely at the design I can clearly see where the problem might lie.
You’ve got a tiny distance between the bottom of the line and the bottom edge of the spool. 8.5mm to be exact on the 2500.
where as on the D spools you’ve got 25.1mm. On the old s7 spools you’ve got 26mm.
3E6F6CE4-B748-415D-96C5-2A5F635F5D6F.jpeg

Quite a lot of tolerance there for a slack loop to pull back onto the line where as with the aero there is very little tolerance at all.
I’d say different results or encounters with these reels will depend on two main things really. The suppleness of your mono and your technique of feathering down from a cast. If you cast out with that reel using a line with a little spring and just snap that bail shut to tighten I reckon it’s not gonna take any prisoners what so ever. I think to get on with it you’ve got to be aware of it to avoid it.
Not a great design area really. Shaving weight was clearly no 1 priority there.

Last edited:
Don't the X Aeros have a line guard ?
Under the spool there is a basket yes but there is a gap there and this also spins with the rotor so I can’t imagine it does much good at all to prevent the issue
I’ve not had this problem yet but mine is relatively new and only caught a couple of fish so we shall see if it becomes a problem for me in due course.
I reckon they’d work problem free with braided mainlines.

I had a pair of the 2500 X aero reels - lovely smooth reels but the line got trapped several times. I sold them because of it, I never lost a fish due to the issue but I wasn't going to take the risks. Such an obvious design flaw - I was really disappointed as I always rated shimmys. I got a pair of the emcast 3500 Br - really pleased with them - no flaws that I've come across.

I ordered 4 Emcasts over the weekend, 2 x 4000 & 2 x 4500, had a message that 1 was now out of stock, so from one shop got one of each, and another 4500 from another place.The 2 from Total Fishing Tackle turned up today (one of each) and look to be spot on sizewise. They are almost identical, most parts having the same part number, it's just the rotors/spools which are larger on the 4500 (I think it is a similar situation with the 2500/4000 Shimanos). Out of the box and a quick fiddle, they seem a real bargain, but, as the saying goes "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"
A quick snap showing the difference between Shimano & Daiwa 4000 reels.
P1130157.JPG

I’ll never be converted from Shimano reels but they look just the business Rich.
they are very reasonable on price too. Good luck with quickly christening them. 👍🏻

Any feedback on your Emcasts Richard? I am in the same boat as you. Finding the DL4000's a bit small on my barbel rods.

Any feedback on your Emcasts Richard? I am in the same boat as you. Finding the DL4000's a bit small on my barbel rods.
Sadly, I never got round to using them as I have got back into match fishing, so have got rid of most of my barbel and carp rods and reels. They were very nice in the hand, and size wise they are (the 4000 & 4500's I had) slightly bigger than a shimmy 4000 DL. Great value, but seem to have been replaced by the LT version which seems to be a step backwards.

I sold a pair of Shimano X Aero 6000 as I found them too big, then got a pair of DL 4000, but find them too small, so like Goldilocks, I want something inbetween which will be "just right". With the current situation, going out to try is not on, so trawling the net I have come up with 2 contenders, daiwa Emcast BR (not the LT version) or possibly Fox EOS 5 or 7000. Does anyone have any experience with these, or any suggestions ? Double handle preferred and up to about £80 per reel. Just to add, baitrunner style.
Used a pair of 5000's for years, perfect for barbel, never had a problem.

Back