• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommended equipment

They are great reels Paul i got two for a disabled pensioner i help last year,well impressed but do wish for another spool

That's the one, tried to find the sellers to no avail, either reel, how can you go wrong at those prices though, go for it.
The 5000 one which I have used a few times, looking at it again, is even better, not to take anything away from the silver one.
I'm sure a bit of poking around would turn up some similar bargains.

Some of the direct from China stuff is great. I have saved thousands on my other hobby this way, often it’s the very same products made in the same factory. A friend of mine brought a shelter which not only was very similar but even came with the other companies name on the box, covered by a sticker... opps. Was a damn site cheaper.
The quality control isn’t as strong and after sales support can be a bit naff but as long as you except your taking a bit of a gamble that’s ok.
I recently replaced my over shoulder bag with a tactical back pack, it was so good a brought a smaller one for my spinning gear. Neither cost more than a tenner.
And on that note I’ve just ordered one of those Yumoshi reels in a 4K size baitrunner style for £10.90 posted. For that price if it’s crap il bin it but I expect it will do me just fine for occasional use for carp or pike when the Barbel fishing’s not on the cards.

I bought an Advanta twin tip,2.25/2.75lb tc, for the Trent for £36 in a sale from Angling Direct. Normally about £70.
Great rod for the price and my mate is very impressed, obviously not going to match a custom made but good for the job and cheap as chips

Some of the direct from China stuff is great. I have saved thousands on my other hobby this way, often it’s the very same products made in the same factory. A friend of mine brought a shelter which not only was very similar but even came with the other companies name on the box, covered by a sticker... opps. Was a damn site cheaper.
The quality control isn’t as strong and after sales support can be a bit naff but as long as you except your taking a bit of a gamble that’s ok.
I recently replaced my over shoulder bag with a tactical back pack, it was so good a brought a smaller one for my spinning gear. Neither cost more than a tenner.
And on that note I’ve just ordered one of those Yumoshi reels in a 4K size baitrunner style for £10.90 posted. For that price if it’s crap il bin it but I expect it will do me just fine for occasional use for carp or pike when the Barbel fishing’s not on the cards.

Have you got a link for the baitrunner type please Stephen? Can't find them on a google search!

Checkout AliExpress, China's version of Amazon, just type in what you are searching for, plenty of reels to suit your needs. Secure payment and normally free shipping.
"Sougayilang" do some very nice looking reels.

I bought an Advanta twin tip,2.25/2.75lb tc, for the Trent for £36 in a sale from Angling Direct. Normally about £70.
Great rod for the price and my mate is very impressed, obviously not going to match a custom made but good for the job and cheap as chips

I have a pair of those myself in 1.75lb tc, they got me through my first few seasons when I didn’t know if I’d take to “Barbeling” and didn’t want to invest too much into it.
Was half thinking of selling them on but they’re worth so little I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I am a bit confused (not unusual) I don't see where any fixed spool reel can have 10 bearings in it, where will they go? there are not that many moving parts on a reel, does the advertising blurb mean that the reel has 10 ball bearing (round steel bits inside a bearing) rather than 10 bearings?

They're just like a normal fixed spool, only smother.
Use a centerpin for 90 % of my fishing but the Yumoshis are in a different leauge to the reels available here, for considerably more money.

Aldi's green retangle bag still going strong and a fraction of the price of your bigger brand names , the 3 Chinese reels I have , one bait runner , chunky bail arm loads of bearings good quality at a snip of a price , only bad bit can take a long time to deliver , but as in fishing patience is a virtue .

Back