• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommended equipment

Luke Hodson

This isn't intended as a kick manufactures thread so please don't let it become one.
I have just bought a 2nd hand Raven centrepin, in another league to the 2 Youngs centrepins I received direct from J W Young & Sons recently and much more like the reels Youngs made 10+ years ago, goes to show you can buy a quality pin at a fraction of the cost.
I have a number of centerpins from Youngs and others and use them 3 times a week, more in the summer months so have a foundation to work from; so the question is, given the Raven is Canadian designed & Korean made, what fishing equipment do you have that was cheaper than the norm yet surprised you for quality, that your still using as a first choice now?

Discuss.............

A cheap German army camo gortex jacket , with bib and brace looks terrible but 5 years on still dry and does the job

A Chinese made fish/contour finder that's been a godsend on new waters.

Jon which one?

Got two fantastic 13 ball bearing fixed spool reels from China, far better quality than the Daiwas they replaced. Including postage £26 the pair.
Best buy though has to be the TFG Freeflow centerpin at £60. I doubt there's a better pin at any price. Unfortunately no longer available, replacement coming soon.
Also a brilliant switch fly rod from China, 30/36 ton graphite £60 delivered, nearest equivalent near £200.

Jon which one?
It's this one I have Clive. Must be 8 years I have had it.

Screenshot_20180330-090949.png

I’ve been looking for exactly one of those, Jon, for a gravel pit that I fish with very variable depths. There’s loads to choose from, would you recommend it? What’s the range for the WiFi?

As far as i can throw it tbh. Theres also a colour version not sure if it's a better version or not.

Got two fantastic 13 ball bearing fixed spool reels from China, far better quality than the Daiwas they replaced. Including postage £26 the pair.
Best buy though has to be the TFG Freeflow centerpin at £60. I doubt there's a better pin at any price. Unfortunately no longer available, replacement coming soon.
Also a brilliant switch fly rod from China, 30/36 ton graphite £60 delivered, nearest equivalent near £200.

Have to agree again with Paul regarding the FreeFlow CP. Also on the funny named Chinese reels. I bought one in size 4000 and another in 6000. These cost around £24 delivered for the pair. I use both for feeder work and they are excellent, Their drags are second to none and the whole reel is feels better than some costing £100+. The only downside is they have a white pearl body that gets dirty very quickly.

Yes, pretty sure the only thing that makes Diawa reels so expensive is the massive profit margin. LOL.
One of mine is quite a garish silver body with some gold trimmings and spool
The other is a tasteful blue colour.
Oddly enough, although I got them from different sellers and they weren't named they were both from the same manufacturer.
Yumoshi.

I’ve been looking for exactly one of those, Jon, for a gravel pit that I fish with very variable depths. There’s loads to choose from, would you recommend it? What’s the range for the WiFi?

Check out the "Deeper pro plus" Receiving rave reviews. I bought one just before xmas, still to use it but I'm sure it'll prove to be a great bit of kit.

https://deepersonar.com/en/deeper-smart-sonar-pro-plus/

Aldi neoprene wellies, and their bib 'n brace padded overtrousers. The former are the best boots/footwear that I've ever worn. They're always in the cars, even in July. The bib 'n brace have been great (esp with zip right down, as they get SO warm), and I use the matching jacket for general winter wear over normal clothing, as it's a bit too warm for fishing! Both/all SO inexpensive too.

Back