• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommended equipment

A cheap German army camo gortex jacket , with bib and brace looks terrible but 5 years on still dry and does the job

I'm with you on this one Mark, all-seasons hunting/fishing gear can be horrendously expensive and over the years I've spent a fortune on big brands , some of which has been absolute rubbish,but the German army stuff is my favourite by a mile and excellent value for money.
Yet to use my Aldi wellies, but no doubt they will be good.
China does make some incredible products. I worked for a PPE company for many years and as a project, they designed a pique Polo shirt using the very best cotton, stitching, buttons, etc.. - literally the best that money could buy and it was still only a landed cost of about £3
I think a Lacoste one on the high street was about £60 and nowhere near as good - shows the cost of a brand.
It's just a bit of a lottery with the Far Eastern stuff but without question some awesome products to be had at silly money if you strike it lucky
Thanks for the leads by the way

Gone for size 8 for next season , cheers Jon the others I got last season were as good as anything in a smart box that cost a £5.00 for about ten, the Aldi rod bag still going strong as well .

These are great for the bigger rivers.
Screenshot_20180403-162437.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/332511760898

I’ve been using my lucky fish finder. Once I got over the embarrassment of chucking out a yellow submarine/ boat/duck and rebooting it a couple of times it’s been pretty good at finding deep spots in a gravel pit with very variable depths. I bought it on eBay and it arrived from China 5 days later

Mine arrived today, first impressions;
Have to say I'm impressed for a £10.90 posted. Let's see how long it lasts, it's going on the £20 four piece NGT and getting used for margin work.

It's a good reel, even ignoring "for the price" - I have the Kastking iteration (it's exactly the same reel, but red and black and a different name obviously - I've seen three or four different versions of this reel. It's obviously an unbranded Chinese reel which is then sent on to various manufacturers around the world to put their own cosmetics on it) and have used it for the last 2 seasons in various situations for various species. And it's still going as well as it did the first day I used it. I'd certainly consider getting another one if/when I need another reel.

Well the Yumoshi MG30 turned up today, 19 days after ordering (they state upto 30).
Il do my best to view it as a reel rather than a cheap reel.

First impressions, it’s more plastic feeling than my Shimanos. The paint has a run on the body. The reel seat has a touch of flex and the gold bits are a bit OTT. You’d certainly know it’s not £100 plus reel, I’d guess it retailed at ~£45. That’s the negative stuff.

Now for the positive, the ratchet is crisp sounding both in freespool and clutch formats. Balance and smoothness are there expected portions. The thing I like best is the button that allows the handle to quickly fold, a feature not on my other reels, ideal for when your on quick sessions. In short it all seems to work and it’s a fair quality.
The “Reel” test is useage, when it’s loaded up, that’s when we will find out if those 10 ball bearings and computer balancing are any good.
So far I’d give it 4 out of 5 stars. Certainly better than the Leeda Reel I use on my baiting rod. And although I said I’d try not to this reel cost me less than 11 quid delivered. That’s not even five pints of best bitter. Next test is to load it up with some heavy line and find something angry to pull on it !

Attachments

• 75256735-D317-4A75-8F05-91DC1A83B242.jpeg
    75256735-D317-4A75-8F05-91DC1A83B242.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 425
Well the Yumoshi MG30 turned up today, 19 days after ordering (they state upto 30).
Il do my best to view it as a reel rather than a cheap reel.

First impressions, it’s more plastic feeling than my Shimanos. The paint has a run on the body. The reel seat has a touch of flex and the gold bits are a bit OTT. You’d certainly know it’s not £100 plus reel, I’d guess it retailed at ~£45. That’s the negative stuff.

Now for the positive, the ratchet is crisp sounding both in freespool and clutch formats. Balance and smoothness are there expected portions. The thing I like best is the button that allows the handle to quickly fold, a feature not on my other reels, ideal for when your on quick sessions. In short it all seems to work and it’s a fair quality.
The “Reel” test is useage, when it’s loaded up, that’s when we will find out if those 10 ball bearings and computer balancing are any good.
So far I’d give it 4 out of 5 stars. Certainly better than the Leeda Reel I use on my baiting rod. And although I said I’d try not to this reel cost me less than 11 quid delivered. That’s not even five pints of best bitter. Next test is to load it up with some heavy line and find something angry to pull on it !

I am all for a bargain, but no way would I trust this piece of kit with a barbel attached, I do hope I am wrong, and will be willing to eat humble pie, but somehow I don't think I will have to.
In truth Shimano are hard to beat, even the old 5010's and the like are as solid as a rock. had the Fox, Daiwa's and Okuma's, the latter are nice and smooth but not robust. Even the much lauded Penn's I reckon are not really as good as the reputation they have, my liveliner locked up second time out with a cheap washer failing.

Last edited:
Along similar lines, does anyone have a recommendation for some very cheap bite alarms? I’ve seen a few on Aliexpress

I’ll not be using them much and not at night so no need for a sounder box. I’m tempted to buy another cheap original optonic to go with the one I already have

Another Chinese bait alarm Bargain. Paid £3.99
This has two led lights, one that flashes when a bite occurs and the other light stays on for 20 seconds after. Push button features, that control, Volume, sensitivity and tone.
Takes a 9v battery
now selling on Fleebay for around £4.95 to £5.99. Have mine for a good few years now. Super sensitive, Worth the money. Sells under different names. Mine just say 1 or 2.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I put the yumoshi 30 through it's paces at the weekend. I put it on the NGT 4 piece 9ft travel rod and chucked the small spomb, full of hemp, caster, dead maggots and corn about 40 yds :D I could have got further but that was the range I'd found a (very unproductive) spot!!

I'm really impressed with both, I'm going to double up on them!

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32624293584.html
Used the above for 2 days spinning for Salmon on the Avon this week. Absolutely fabulous and without doubt the best fixed spool I've ever used. Previously had Mitchells, Abu and 3 Diawas.
Never once did the bale arm fail to operate, unlike all previous fixed spools, no dead spots opening or closing, the clutch even got tested out by 3 interloping Pike.
I've now got every confidence that it would handle a big Salmon if I get one.
Absolutely over the moon with it.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32624293584.html
Used the above for 2 days spinning for Salmon on the Avon this week. Absolutely fabulous and without doubt the best fixed spool I've ever used. Previously had Mitchells, Abu and 3 Diawas.
Never once did the bale arm fail to operate, unlike all previous fixed spools, no dead spots opening or closing, the clutch even got tested out by 3 interloping Pike.
I've now got every confidence that it would handle a big Salmon if I get one.
Absolutely over the moon with it.
I think the real test is how long it will last, these Chinese products normally start out OK but sadly the cheap materials they use lets the product down. But it has performed thus far so fingers crossed for you and that Salmon.:)

I've just ordered another at :eek::eek: £4.86 :eek::eek: for my grandson, same again, if it lasts a season, great, if it breaks after 5 minutes I'll re-tackle him with one of my shimmys so he doesn't lose interest through disappointment.

Back