• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Polish fisherman

Wayne Glossop

It's been on my mind to open this thread for a while but don't get me wrong here there's some polish who love the sport (not many mind) Iv been to a variety of venues and seen polish all over eating fish also the bailiff at a venue was badly assaulted by some polish. What's is going on here? Absolutely disgusting. I have nothing against them fishing but killing the fish and eating them is outrageous am I on my own here??

It's been on my mind to open this thread for a while but don't get me wrong here there's some polish who love the sport (not many mind) Iv been to a variety of venues and seen polish all over eating fish also the bailiff at a venue was badly assaulted by some polish. What's is going on here? Absolutely disgusting. I have nothing against them fishing but killing the fish and eating them is outrageous am I on my own here??

No you are not Wayne....but you had better have a thick skin and wear a tin helmet to weather the storm of rubbish that is likely to descend upon you from the 'head in the sand', politically correct lot who will outright deny that any of this actually happens. You must learn to accept now that it is all a figment of your imagination, is made up by racists, never happened...and you mustn't pick on EE's, just because it happens to be them that are doing it....most unfair :rolleyes:

Your only consolation will probably be that when which you have experienced finally reaches/affects those still in denial, you can sit back and chuckle at the squeals of shock and outrage that ensue :D

Cheers, Dave.

Like I said it's been bugging me for ages and if I have something to say il say it sometimes a good thing sometimes a bad thing. Just hate to see it happen it's nothing against polish or anyone from outside the uk not saying it's right or wrong but IN MY OPINION!!! it's totally wrong and something should be done we have morrisons and asda for fresh fish. It's annoying to think that fish that gets killed will never be caught again.

the problem

the problem lies in them not changing to our customs and not taking time as yet of learning regulations not only on fishing but lots more as well,
in their country most who fish would take their catch home for food, its their way of life, yes they should learn our rules and comply but how long will it take to learn and fit in, i have 3 polish guys working for me, 1 has learned to read/write english very well and his learning of our ways, customs and language too and he fits in perfectly, the other 2 have only a bare minimum of reading/writing and english language is still a daunting task for them as yet,
all 3 are really nice guys, hard working, non offensive and have really settled down to a life in england, if they went off fishing individually 1 would take the time to learn whats right and whats wrong, the other pair would because of their command of english would probably do what they would do fishing in poland, the problem is communication

What a good way of putting it John. I was sat chatting to a couple of polish on the TT a few week ago fantastic guys had a great laugh a few beers we all caught fish they all got returned. But nail on head alot of people arnt willing to learn. For example the bailiff who's cracking on abit who got beat up and kidnapped for 3 hours on the bank that is disgusting and that's one of the reasons the polish get this kind of reputation and spoil for the good polish here.

As my Polish mate Tomasz told me, you only need two English words and you'll get away with anything: "No understand!"

Last edited:
the problem lies in them not changing to our customs and not taking time as yet of learning regulations not only on fishing but lots more as well,
in their country most who fish would take their catch home for food, its their way of life, yes they should learn our rules and comply but how long will it take to learn and fit in, i have 3 polish guys working for me, 1 has learned to read/write english very well and his learning of our ways, customs and language too and he fits in perfectly, the other 2 have only a bare minimum of reading/writing and english language is still a daunting task for them as yet,
all 3 are really nice guys, hard working, non offensive and have really settled down to a life in england, if they went off fishing individually 1 would take the time to learn whats right and whats wrong, the other pair would because of their command of english would probably do what they would do fishing in poland, the problem is communication

Your post starts off fine John, but in my opinion goes the way of so many others at the end there, with a very lame excuse for their behaviour. If it were just a problem of communication, then that problem could be fixed very simply by the guy you say can speak excellent English explaining to the other two, in their own language, why they must not steal fish from our waters, that it is against the law etc., etc.

Sadly, that is when the real problem would arise, because they would tell him to get stuffed, that they already know all about that rubbish the English keep mumbling on about, but they are going to do it any way....because they want to, and because they can....and because laws are there to be broken...and if they keep saying 'me no speak English' often enough when they get caught, then the soft English irriots will let them off anyway :D.

I have several Polish friends and a number of acquaintances from that land, and they have ALL explained this to me in no uncertain terms. They all say that the only way to cure the problem is to be hard on those caught, and show you mean it....they will then respect you for it, and the majority of the problem will stop. It is a different culture, but looking at it in those terms, no really that different, is it?

Cheers, Dave.

I have a couple of Poles at work,very nice fellas.
Spoke only the other day about fishing .To catch and eat is their culture,however fishing allowed only with licence in Poland.
Anglers are regularly checked by the police and offenders are dealt with severly .
Perch are considered a real special dish,strangely these guys did not like carp which I understood to be their christmas dinner treat !

I would bet it is not just Polish people eating the fish over here so perhaps unfair to label the thread against them alone.
I expect the ones doing the damage over here do not have jobs.

Perhaps the EA could employ them to cull the cormorants,(,they could eat any they kill),chase the otters to the estuaries and sink anything that looks like a canoe with a bloke called Guy in it !:rolleyes:

Agreed there are significant problems in certain areas, but the law states, on any given day you may only remove:

* one pike of up to 65 cm;
* two grayling of 30–38 cm;
* up to a total of 15 small fish of up to 20 cm of the following native species: barbel; chub; common bream; common carp; crucian carp; dace; perch; pike; roach; rudd; silver bream; smelt; and tench.

Fish are measured from the tip of the snout to the fork of the tail.

The people taking coarse fish from the UK’s rivers are not all Polish as the title of thread wrongly indicates.

Last edited:
Sorry if that's the case it's just my experiance as it's polish that I have seen do it not lituanians or slovakians etc.

Sorry if that's the case it's just my experiance as it's polish that I have seen do it not lituanians or slovakians etc.

That's quite some statement, I take it you speak to them all and establish their homeland. I've worked with different English speaking Eastern Europeans almost on a daily basis for 15 years and still find it difficult to pin their accents down to a specific country.

I always ask them where they are originally from I work in the building trade and there's quite alot of them in that game. I don't want people to think I have anything against the EE's because that's not the case.

It doesnt matter where they are from, Poland Slovakia, Lithuania, or wherever. They are in our country, and they should abide by our rules. One of my local lakes has a 'Private fishing' sign, and then a bit about not nicking fish in 3 different languages (one of which is Polish). They still poach and steal the fish.

That makes them common thieves.

Also I think there is a big problem with chinese/indonesian guys at it.
I think they were at it well before the EE's.
I vividly remember a time when I was around 14, 10 years ago, I was legering for chub with cheese, 2 chinese guys turned up with rods and struggled to catch anything. Then in my naivety and niceness, I proceeded to show them couple of chinese chaps how to catch chub with cheese. I even gave them a block of cheese, only to return an hour later to see 10 2-4lb chub laying dead in a bag.
I was too scared to say anything at that age!
Now in that very spot, which is in the middle of nowhere, is devoid of fish.
And chinks are very often seen down there.
I also work in somalian houses and iraqi, polish lithiuanians etc and on several occasions have seen perch and also pike in dishes on tables.
It seems there is a black market for them.
I spoke to 2 polish who were fishing for pike the other week and I kept an eye on them...they eventually tagged on and procceeded to show me their ea license and began to tell me how the rivers in poland are totally baron-because of the very fact that most EE's eat everything they catch.

I maybe wrong, and I think I am here, but I thought it was the Czech Republic custom to eat Carp as a traditional dinner at Christmas, like I say I'm probably wrong and will gain to learn something new from this.

I've seen a few commercials placing signs up to state that taking/eating fish is strictly illegal/prohibited, so with that in mind, I think it's high time the E.A did the same on the entrances and exits to our Rivers, they should place them on structures like bridges/stiles etc and at every other key points that line our waterways, obviously in the varying dialogues that's needed to get the point across!!
I'm not talking absolute massive bill boards here, I'm talking about something large enough to see, so there isn't any excuse for not seeing it!!

And why not, yes it will cost a lot of money/time and effort, but hell they sure waste a lot as well, this would be in my opinion money better spent, and if these people are caught committing an illegal act in these areas, then the law [What a joke that is!!] should come down real heavy on these individuals, or better still allow controlling clubs bailiffs to deal with them for us!!

For the life of me I can't understand why the Government or better still our bloody next to useless E.A [And I'll stand corrected if they have!!] have not even made an effort to voice any concerns, the simple fact is, it's not a priority to the countries continuing battles of cuts and illegal government spending for moats and politician's home improvement schemes!!:mad:
well said julian

The fish down here are increasingly difficult to catch so our EE brothers have moved on to wild fowl....if only they could catch bloody cormorants..or the crayfish
They do it because its cheaper than Tesco......
Oh by the way they really are not all Polish

Oh by the way they really are not all Polish
Just the majority Iv come across are polish that's the reason for aiming at the polish, not to say other EE arnt doing it it's just my experience mate
Thanks

Back