• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

River Bure near Aylsham, Norfolk.

You would not think it, but this splendid little stream is home to some really big Chub and Trout, with a really good head of silver fish,it is also thought to hold a few Barbel, although they have never been successfully netted on this stretch .

EB905DD1-F69B-4B43-B135-5838B1B438CB.jpeg

David.

River Bure near Aylsham, Norfolk.

You would not think it, but this splendid little stream is home to some really big Chub and Trout, with a really good head of silver fish,it is also thought to hold a few Barbel, although they have never been successfully netted on this stretch .

View attachment 15953

David.
I love that stretch of river. It's pretty much where I learnt to fish. Glad to hear its doing ok.

It was unusually busy on the river Lot today, I guess it is nearing the end of the July/August holidays in France. Everyone having a last blast at the river before heading back to the city! Soon the river will be mine again and I will make the most it!

Alistair and I thought to try the swim we fished last week but there was already an angler there. So we explored a short distance up the river and found this.......

New swim Aug21.jpg

The main flow was across the river, a 50 metre cast caught the edge of it.

I lost a big carp on the heavy rod just 20 minutes after putting out a double 20 mm boilie bait. Thought I had it beaten ,but it went into the far side of a sunken tree just downstream. Gave it slack and it pulled some back, eventually no movement and I suspect my hook was shifted to the tree. Just has to pull for a break - water to deep for me to wade out!

I ended the session with a couple of barbel around the 3 lb mark, caught on my feeder rod.

Sally and I took a touristy afternoon drive along to Saint Antonin on the Aveyron river today, about 40 minutes from our home. I keep meaning to fish this stretch, but it will have to wait until after the city holiday types have gone home. The river was full of canoes!

Aveyron bridge swim.jpg

Spotted some good chub from the bridge, there are carp and barbel here as well.

Aveyron St Antonin.jpg

View attachment 16068View attachment 16069
First image from last weekend on the Severn. Second image was from this weekend and was pretty random. That black line was more bold than it looks on the photo. God knows what it was. Was shooting right up into the sky
I’m no expert Jon but I think you’ve witnessed a mini tornado/water/air spout!…Lovely moody pictures👍

Not Barbel related, but one hell of a Chub river when it was fishable 30 odd years ago. The size of the Chub and how numerous they were belies the size of the river. You could jump over it in places, and the first time I fished it, my 12' rod tangled with the reeds on the other bank. I couldn't believe how big the fish were in such a small river.

It's a sad state now, very overgrown and unfishable.
IMG_3198.JPG

The river Mease in Leicestershire/South Derbyshire.

IMG_2271.JPG

Simon, it must be 50+ years since I fished the Mease. I can confirm the chub were fantastic. If you were stealthy you could get half a dozen from one swim before they spooked. Brilliant memory.

Simon, there was a swim next to a little road bridge, I think in Netherseal, where I used to flick a bait under the bridge. Great chub sport.

These pictures are from the field directly below Netherseal bridge Mike, but from the Netherseal side of the river, which is all Trees now. The other bank is BAA controlled and there was someone fishing.

Simon, there was a swim next to a little road bridge, I think in Netherseal, where I used to flick a bait under the bridge. Great chub sport.

Here you go Mike. This the one? Doubt you’d catch anything now though, very shallow.
1E6F2ABD-7996-4282-9B24-9445A15C303A.jpeg
A33DDFDE-7DD1-40DB-B29C-96354C62FF37.jpeg
B474D3F0-BF8E-4A3E-86A7-2C9CC0A0AC50.jpeg

That's the one. Thanks, that brings back some very happy memories. I used to cycle from Midway (near Swadlincote). Really had to travel light. There was a girl at school from Netherseal who I fancied, so that was an extra incentive. I can still remember her name, but I hadn't better post it on here.😀

Back