• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

49C77A1D-6B22-41B8-ADC6-79F597DA10D2.jpeg

June 16th on the river Swale.

A few k upstream of Cajarc on the Lot is the hamlet of La Rive. Last visited it 2 years ago for a walk, never fished it.

As it's a favourite with carp anglers I decided to give it a try, but with barbel in mind. Just a few hours fishing, resorted to scratching out some small stuff as nothing was biting on the heavier rod. Tiny roach, bleak and bream close in, nothing over 6". Water was still high and coloured after recent heavy rain - what a summer!

Lovely spot though, but finding a clear swim was difficult - the whole river bank was solid with Japanese knotweed.

La Rive.jpg

Temperature here in Limogne en Quercy around 35c this afternoon. Thought it might be cooler by the river so Sally and I took a walk along my most productive part of the river.

Trust me - it's not just sunshine and roses here! The dreaded Japanese Knotweed is now firmly established along most of the river Lot. The massive winter floods have spread it well back from the banks and fertilised it as well!

This is what we found on getting out of the car.......

overgrown! 3.jpg

I walked to the field above this........

overgrown! 2.jpg

Shocking! Between 30 - 50 metres of over 2 metre high JK to clear if I want to get to my usual swim. Normally this would have been cut by one of the local authorities or fishing association, I guess between covid restrictions and tight budgets this is low priority. Or maybe the JK problem has just overwhelmed them this year!

So I took a short walk downriver to where the big carp hang out....

Overgrown!.jpg

They are safe for now, but I will be back in the winter!

Temperature here in Limogne en Quercy around 35c this afternoon. Thought it might be cooler by the river so Sally and I took a walk along my most productive part of the river.

Trust me - it's not just sunshine and roses here! The dreaded Japanese Knotweed is now firmly established along most of the river Lot. The massive winter floods have spread it well back from the banks and fertilised it as well!

This is what we found on getting out of the car.......

View attachment 15752

I walked to the field above this........

View attachment 15753

Shocking! Between 30 - 50 metres of over 2 metre high JK to clear if I want to get to my usual swim. Normally this would have been cut by one of the local authorities or fishing association, I guess between covid restrictions and tight budgets this is low priority. Or maybe the JK problem has just overwhelmed them this year!

So I took a short walk downriver to where the big carp hang out....

View attachment 15754

They are safe for now, but I will be back in the winter!
Good grief...that JK is well and truly out of control. Good luck anyone trying to tackle out.

I remember driving past some river banks in Austria 15 years ago and it was worse than anything I'd seen in the UK.

Good grief...that JK is well and truly out of control. Good luck anyone trying to tackle out.

I remember driving past some river banks in Austria 15 years ago and it was worse than anything I'd seen in the UK.
If this is just how it is going to be I will just have to get a proper boat for access. The only places I can fish just now are slipways and landing stages, even if I was young and fit I would question myself even considering cutting that back!

Back