• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Suspiciously similar to another photo :)

Just released after resting, but seemed to have taken a shine to me and hung around for ages.

BADE4BE5-CE7D-4782-88C5-6B492840BF21.jpeg

David

River Lot, we had a couple of dry days finally and the flow had halved to 240 m3/sec at a nearby monitoring station. That was fishable in places so this swim gave me three barbel to just over 5lbs....

IMG_20210120_123758.jpg

Then the rain started again and the flow was up to 750 m3/sec at the monitoring station. I took a walk at Cajarc today with a view to fishing in the next few days. Main river was mud and going like a train! Fortunately there is a channel at Cajarc leading off the main river to the power station, if the station is not generating the flow is diverted back to the main river above the barrage. That sometimes leaves just enough flow to fish - and there are sometimes barbel to be caught!

PANO_20210125_140312.jpg

The entrance to the hydro power station is to the right, if it were generating there would be more flow. Doubt the barbel care either way!

IMG_20210125_140553.jpg

cont. from my last post....Near the hydro power station inlet there is a gate, locked previously. Along that footpath there were some information boards about the power stations along the Lot. It gave me a better understanding of this lovely river, thought I would share it here....

1611603230481.jpg

Excuse the reflected images of myself and my wife!

When the power station is not generating the flow is diverted back to the main river and barrage (structure in the distance of this photo).....

IMG_20210125_140857.jpg

We have lived here three years and there is still so much to learn about the river. Not finding that too much of an effort ;)

The barrages along the Lot, along with associated hydroelectric schemes, have made the river a haven for many species of fish. To make the river navigable for trade many weirs, locks and canal sections were built. Such a diverse habitat created out of a simple spate river, that otherwise would hold much less variety of species.

Cajarc barrage from PS inlet.jpg

I enjoyed my river walk today, new information about the river for me - and some good photos to share!....

IMG_20210125_141234.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to repeat the above. Uploading photos here ain't straightforward. lol

<edit - sorted for you Chris - paul4>

Last edited by a moderator:
Back