• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Is it a river or a estuary, or lowe,r lower tidal trent ,the Humber .
P1240474.JPG

Bit of a shock when I walked up the Ure today, an entire section of bank has disappeared. Last time I was there I fished from that huge concrete block at the edge of the field. Several mature trees have been swept in as well.... View attachment 9685
Thought an update would be interesting - there have been several big floods over the season & the overall effect is that the big loop upstream of these pics was cut through in Dec 2020 & a new path for the river has now formed. The big block of concrete is now buried somewhere under hundreds of tons of gravel. The bank where I took the photos from has been eroded back around 30yds & a section of concrete roadway there has been ripped up.
peg12021.JPG

Nothing picturesque about these iphone images but just a glimpse of the scale of the Christmas floods this year. Photos taken at Radwell road bridge. Anyone familiar with this stretch will know that the river usually flows around 20-25 foot wide under the bridge I was standing on. In twenty years of fishing on an around the river., I've never seen it quite so high as it was this Christmas. First image in the center shows the roof of a car, whose driver thought they could make it through. Guess that'll be a write-off.

Radwell Christmas Day 2020  (1 of 1).jpg

upstream of Radwell bridge  Christmas Day 2020  (1 of 1).jpg
Downstream of Radwell bridge  Christmas Day 2020  (1 of 1).jpg

To be fair to them, they attempted to drive through when it was considerably lower but it is still muppetry of the deluxe kind to even think of trying to get through there in a small family hatchback.

The flow of the river was strong enough to turn the car 45 degrees.

Back