• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Phoned the EA today

Patrick.
And there was me, judging by your opening day catch, thinking that you could simply adjust the time needed as required..........LOL

Graham

It was Martin Bowler who said Anglers would be shocked as to how very little is spent on Angling from rod licence revenues..

Graham,
You have made a very good point as to why are the EA not fining the water authorities, who were found guilty in the EU law courts for discharging raw untreated sewage into the water ways in october 2012..And thats just the ones that were found out by SAS ( Surfers Against Sewage )..

Lets be clear the EA officers on the ground really do care, BUT, they have to take orders from the bureaucrats, so they are as powerless as everyone else..

With the terrible financial state this country is in, i really do worry that things are going to get worse because the funds will get less and less towards Angling that are raised through Rod licence fees..Which they plan to increase..

I actually think the reason the Rod licence fee is so low is because people wont ask questions as to where the money is going..

I would actually be glad to pay more if the funds were actually benefitting Angling..Also i strongly agree that ALL riverine users should pay to help with its up keep..

The reality is to get our rivers back into shape its going to take alot more financial funds than are currently available, thats why i think we and others who use the Rivers should pay more, but not to the EA in its current form..

Alex.

Environment Agency - What we do

I did say fishing related work.

Craig.

I'm sure our views are very similar, however, would an independent private body (like a Government Quango) do any better.

However those that have worked in Large organisations have at all times criticized their leaders for plainly idiotic decisions. It's part of life that gets easier as you get older. The EA do an OK job. Thats all IMO but need to do more for Anglers and our river systems with regard to investigative work on the waterways and the effects of chemicals and sewerage spills.

( I say spills, but mean planned pollution because of Water Companies inefficiency and cost savings in infrastructure to be able to pay fat cats and shareholders, the fines being less than the costs to solve)

If you want to look around at serious wasted monies, lets start with the Lottery money (teaching people in Peru how to Knit or was it breed Guinea pigs to eat?) or the Princess of Wales Charity, so much paying the legal advisors etc etc......

Graham

Last edited:
What we need is someone like Emily Davidson, a woman who was not only happy to accept the consequences of her militant action in terms of penal sentences she actually made the ultimate sacrifice when she threw herself in front of the Kings horse.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Davisonhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Davison

I think a huge opportunity was missed today to do something similar.BBC Sport - Royal Ascot: The Queen's horse Estimate wins historic Gold Cup
Could you imagine the look on this womans face if some raving loony had jumped in front of her horse today in the name of clean rivers, over predation and poaching?

Ps you don't need to teach Guinea pigs how to breed, just let them get on with it and you will be over run with the furry little carrot munchers, they make rabbits look positively Amish.

Last edited:
Ade,

Steady on there old chap...........if Scuba throws himself in front of the Queens horse then its probably the nag that will croak it..................

Wow the sexual tension between mr Williams and hamlyn is incredible, perhaps they need a room?

Maybe you could 'strategically analyse' the possibilities of that happening Tinca....

Steve

Depends on how fast the horse is traveling I guess..................:D

However your natural shyness is, I feel, clouding the issue here. We need a "Face of angling" who could do for fishing what David Attenborough has done for wildlife awareness. You have to admit you are a natural in front of the camera, and your easy amiable style coupled with an in depth knowledge of species, rigs, techniques and pies makes you an obvious candidate.

Too many the people in front of the lens these days are egotists looking to bolster their reputations or sell us the latest useless gizmo, what we need is a man of the people and I can think of nobody better qualified than Scuba Steve.

Depends on how fast the horse is traveling I guess..................:D

However your natural shyness is, I feel, clouding the issue here. We need a "Face of angling" who could do for fishing what David Attenborough has done for wildlife awareness. You have to admit you are a natural in front of the camera, and your easy amiable style coupled with an in depth knowledge of species, rigs, techniques and pies makes you an obvious candidate.

Too many the people in front of the lens these days are egotists looking to bolster their reputations or sell us the latest useless gizmo, what we need is a man of the people and I can think of nobody better qualified than Scuba Steve.

If it's pies that would swing it look North, those lads have it all sewn up when it comes to pies, natural for the role.

Off Topic Richard but do you fish Rackerhayes? As a single lad used to night fish there the Adult Mink used to bring me their cubs for a play. :eek:

Alex. I think you will find that ALL the angling licence fee goes into fishing related work.

What evidence do you have for this then Graham?

As I mentioned earlier Alex, I contacted the EA about this a while ago to find out how much was spent on salmon fishing and how much on coarse fishing.
All money raised from the sale of licences was spent on coarse fishing projects and schemes along with a rather hefty subsidy from the government. Who is to say if the subsidy is as large as it was, but being underimpressed by how much the sale of licences raised and feeling that it wouldn't afford a lot, I would imagine a subsidy necessary.
I might try and find out how much the subsidy might be today, along too, with being in disagreement with their spending it if I might be able to defer payment of my licence money until they spend it where I want them to.:rolleyes:

Off Topic Richard but do you fish Rackerhayes? As a single lad used to night fish there the Adult Mink used to bring me their cubs for a play. :eek:

Neil,

I've fished the place all my life. The carp fishing in the "old days" was special with a great bunch of lads. Only fish there for Tench now, which are a challenge, but still capable of producing a fish of a lifetime. Its bivvy land and ZCA's now at the weekends but still a delight midweek.

Back