• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Phoned the EA today

Kevin Daly

To report two blokes fishing a tiny Thames trib. Asked them to pack up but they just ignored me so I phoned the EA, got the all-important incident number. Unfortunately I couldn’t wait around to see the outcome.

To report two blokes fishing a tiny Thames trib. Asked them to pack up but they just ignored me so I phoned the EA, got the all-important incident number. Unfortunately I couldn’t wait around to see the outcome.

Bleedin well done mate.....I SOoo hope they got caught and the old bill turned up as well. There is so little time to go for them to be there legally, and so many other branches of our hobby to try if they really can't wait, there just is NO excuse.

Cheers, Dave.

Well done for informing the EA,I hope something is done about it.Not sure if they have a fast response team though for cases of illegal fishing.I also have doubts on how seriously the police take these reports.
It is a big problem especially with some eastern europeans taking fish for the table.I think all legitimate EA licence holders who abide by the rules would like to see a fast and firm response.

Steve it isn’t really about a fast response it’s about the all-important incident number. No verifiable reported incidents = no funds spent on bailiffing. We get the fisheries we deserve, no more no less. Anyone out there who walks on by please remember if you cannot be bothered to make a phone call those of us who can don’t want to hear you moan.
Scuba, Monty's bait is in good hands, KCI's secret recipe dont ya know.

Kevin,

If the same two blokes were fishing a still water then they would have been considered as doing nothing wrong. Just another example of a ridiculous law....if it were me I would have turned a blind eye.

Richard
We in the affluent South East are about to start enjoying the fruits of the voluntary bailiff scheme. That is because my fellow moaning old gits and I here in the affluent south east have long bent the ear of the authorities about protection of our very expensive fishing. You on the other hand in the poorer deprived arias where you depend on tourist money for a living have cheap poor quality fishing; I believe you actually travel miles and miles to put a decent bend in your rod. If you were to start to protect what you have neglected for years perhaps all that money spent on petrol could pay for fishing of the quality Graham and I enjoy on the Wasing and the other syndicated waters I fish. In my back yard where we pay dear, we value our fishing. You and others pay little and see your waters as valueless. Why should any others see them in any other way? Bailiffing is the only way we can maintain our sport. Government, local or national, blue or red will not fund the protection our sport desperately needs unless it is documented and proved that the protection is needed.
Ridiculous law maybe, but as a law you must live by it.

Last edited:
I wonder, if we were promised the protection of our fisheries during the close season, how many would stomach a rise in the licence?

Kevin,

If the same two blokes were fishing a still water then they would have been considered as doing nothing wrong. Just another example of a ridiculous law....if it were me I would have turned a blind eye.

I know exactly what you mean Richard. The other day for example, I saw two chaps breaking into a car and stealing the radio, a packet of fruit pastels and a rude sticker. If they had just been peering into the car to admire its contents including said sticker, no one would have minded a bit, especially the owner. Ludicrous isn't it. So I did turn a blind eye. Which when you think about it, is utterly pointless. If you were blind in that particular eye then turning it to one side would serve no purpose as you couldn't actually see what was going on anyway.

This country is mad it is.

Yes all eastern europeans are to blame for poaching!!!! I won't deny that several have been caught but they're just doing as they do in there home countries. Education of the rules is the key, not just a blanket prejudice on anyone with a different accent.
What's worse is the natives of this country who blatantly flaunt there disregard for the law.

I wonder, if we were promised the protection of our fisheries during the close season, how many would stomach a rise in the licence?

A couple of weeks ago some guys were seen fishing a well known stretch of water on the Hants/Berks border and the society member called the EA. They informed him they were leaving immediately ETA 20 minutes. Shame the guys got wind of it and made their escape. That was at the weekend as well.

In any case a promise like that would be impossible to keep, but as far as licences go, we pay and so should other users of the river.

Everyone should have a license John I totally agree. That's the law, Richard the law is the law end of, and do you know what if the closed season got lifted I still wouldn't fish running water.

I would Kevin. But would it be counter productive with people who couldn't afford the fee and increase poaching?

Forgetting the practicalities of it Kevin, yes I would. Things are tight here but the licence still isn't expensive is it?
What would canoeists pay a licence for?

Maybe....................if we were ALL members of one angling body and had a voice and some power similar to RSPB, then maybe something would get done?

If only there was such an organisation out there that looked after the interests of all anglers including coarse/sea/game and had a legal team that could say, fight pollution incidents on behalf of clubs and riparian owners.

I wonder how many would join?

Enjoy your fishing this year!

Regards,

Jeff

Richard
We in the affluent South East are about to start enjoying the fruits of the voluntary bailiff scheme. That is because my fellow moaning old gits and I here in the affluent south east have long bent the ear of the authorities about protection of our very expensive fishing. You on the other hand in the poorer deprived arias where you depend on tourist money for a living have cheap poor quality fishing; I believe you actually travel miles and miles to put a decent bend in your rod. If you were to start to protect what you have neglected for years perhaps all that money spent on petrol could pay for fishing of the quality Graham and I enjoy on the Wasing and the other syndicated waters I fish. In my back yard where we pay dear, we value our fishing. You and others pay little and see your waters as valueless. Why should any others see them in any other way? Bailiffing is the only way we can maintain our sport. Government, local or national, blue or red will not fund the protection our sport desperately needs unless it is documented and proved that the protection is needed.
Ridiculous law maybe, but as a law you must live by it.

Kevin,

Your lack of knowledge on the state of fishing where I live is breathtaking. The quality of coarse fishing in our rivers is truly poor and the reason for that is because of the Ph of the water and not the lack of efficient policing. However the standard of the game fishing in said rivers is going from strength to strength and due to the class system in this country the EA are only too willing to prosecute people poaching salmon and sea trout. They are really not interested in roach and perch down here.....or anywhere else for that matter if the threads on here are to be believed.
As for the close season we in Devon have more experience that anyone else regarding the effects of not having one as we were years ahead of the rest of the country on having it removed on still waters. The benefits were two fold. Firstly the fish did better because of the constant supply of food. Secondly we used to get a healthy influx of match anglers from the Midlands every Sunday during the close season who had no idea of how to catch fish on tough waters and we locals were only too happy to relieve them of their money and send them back up the M5.
In my experience people like you tend to be self appointed jobsworths (probably bullied at school) who just like to spoil the fun of others and hide behind antiquated rules to do so.

Back