• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Phoned the EA today

Though you would have thought ot would be available to the public

Another very pertinent question. I know when soldiers use to get fined it went to charity.

I asked the EA years ago regarding the ring-fencing of the monies raised by the different licences, they went on to tell me the total spending in both areas that in turn expressed a difference between their income and spending that was a large subsidy foot by the taxpayer.

Last edited:
This needs a complete breakdown imho. Just like when mp's where using public funds to pay for a duck Moat

Alex.

Well I can only suggest you do a "Citizen Smith" and inform the EA and the Media that you intend to fish at a certain time and place and reject the concept of a fishing license.

I am sure that the Brothers of the Angle will be queing up to follow you and pay £200 every time they get nabbed rather than the piddling amount currently charged.

But.

Don't expect too many followers.

Power to the People...............

Graham

Last edited:
Clearly you don't like the idea of any sort of attempt to get a better deal Graham, at least not if it means witholding money. Your suggestion is obviously tounge in cheek and quite funny, but I have no intention of copying Citizen Smith! I don't think many people would refuse to pay either because we are not too well organised. But as this is a forum, people pass ideas back and forth to discuss how we may get a better deal from the EA.

Other than dismissing every other suggestion Graham, what is yours? Or are you happy with things how they are?

It is no surprise that over the issue of the EA providing value for the license money that anglers are divided. Let’s face it there is not one single important issue that we can agree on so why should this be any different?

Before people start bleating on again about what good work some of the EA staff do at ground level, let me make my position clear. Many of the ground troops I have worked with are worth their weight in gold and really do care about fisheries, but this is not reflected by clear policy statements and metrics by the senior management.

We are not saying we do not want to contribute; we are saying we want the money to be spent effectively on our behalf, and the only way to get noticed these days is to take some form of action.

There is a chance here for BFW to lead the way. Why not decline to pay an EA license but send the money instead to BFW to be placed in an escrow account pending a clear policy statement from the EA that we can support. There would be no risk of prosecution as money has not been withheld; only deferred. It would make a worthy news item and would get aired on the national news as well as programmes like Countryfile. It would be an ideal opportunity for our representative (Scuba) to get in front of the cameras and let the nation know we are not putting up with the current situation any more.

Vote for Scuba…………………….

Hi Alex. Yes apologies maybe a rather flippant answer, but I had just come in from a biteless 6 hours!!

I could give you about half a book to answer your query, but in a short version.

1/ Around the Thames valley there are a number of "Consultative bodies, for example the the Loddon Consultative, that links club members with the EA and allows a 2 way discussions/solutions/actions to be carried out.

These are an excellent way to get ones voice, or that of club members heard, even if I personally don't agree with all the outcomes. As I have been invited by the EA twice to participate but declined, I don't think I can moan too much.

If not already, this should be extended countrywide.

2/ Government run Organisations. Overall the were pretty expensive, the service was poorish.
- However, personally, Privatisation made many things like The Water companies, Railways etc. grossly expensive and a far lot worse. Water rates increased 10 fold, GWR trains Jammed full every day etc. and fat foreign cats laughing at us. SO. Sometimes what you have is better than what you might get.

3/ Pollution control etc. Obviously a point of EA failure in many respects, and a too cosy relationship. A recent Thames pollution fine was £16k. Piffling, and of course gets passed on to the consumers. This needs sorting. BUT, having insight to the previous anglers saviour the ACA's control of funds, at least the EA will have a due diligence procedure.

The AT are taking to task the EA's poor response to pollution incidence. So hopefully that will focus some minds.

Anyway, just a couple of points. But would I want any other private body to look after our riverine environments. NO.

Graham

Richard, Headline.

Hearing today in the Bristol Quarter sessions

BFW accused of aiding and abetting a criminal act.

Yes. I DON'T think so.

Graham

It is no surprise that over the issue of the EA providing value for the license money that anglers are divided. Let’s face it there is not one single important issue that we can agree on so why should this be any different?

Before people start bleating on again about what good work some of the EA staff do at ground level, let me make my position clear. Many of the ground troops I have worked with are worth their weight in gold and really do care about fisheries, but this is not reflected by clear policy statements and metrics by the senior management.

We are not saying we do not want to contribute; we are saying we want the money to be spent effectively on our behalf, and the only way to get noticed these days is to take some form of action.

There is a chance here for BFW to lead the way. Why not decline to pay an EA license but send the money instead to BFW to be placed in an escrow account pending a clear policy statement from the EA that we can support. There would be no risk of prosecution as money has not been withheld; only deferred. It would make a worthy news item and would get aired on the national news as well as programmes like Countryfile. It would be an ideal opportunity for our representative (Scuba) to get in front of the cameras and let the nation know we are not putting up with the current situation any more.

Vote for Scuba…………………….

Why not run your 'campaign' on BFAM World and we could all get behind you Richard 'Tinca' Hamlyn.
At the end of the day you've had much more 'experience' at running campaigns than poor old Scuba....

Our village will be swallowed up in urban sprawl | Campaign for Better Transport

BBC NEWS | England | Devon | Compulsory purchase orders issued

Anything around the 35 seconds mark on the BBC clip should show the good people of BFW just what sort of figure head you would be for such a campaign....

VOTE TINCA-VOTE FOR CHANGE in the rod licence system....

Has a kind a ring to it don't ya think....

Steve

Vote for Scuba…………………….

No Richard.

Unless I am really missing something here, I don't see why a licence to fish should be viewed much differently to other levies or forms of taxation. I am sure many people, me included, would love to protest and refuse to pay road tax until all the pot holes (that cause much pain and expense when I am in the Ferrari) are fixed. Then there is my TV licence. Why do I have to pay that AND my subscription to Sky for all the sports and movie channels. Then there is the council tax. For the large sum I shell out each month for that, I endure the weekly barrage of abuse from the driveway terrorists when they collect and empty the bin. For what I pay, I would like a team of engaging and vibrant young woman to assist me in sorting through my recycling baskets, fold all the bathroom towels and beguile me with an exotic dance routine.

And then there is my income tax. I want far more say in how that gets spent thank you very much. I get absolutely nothing in return, only the joy of completing an online tax return each year and some of the most tiresome correspondence in the whole of Christendom. If I do see my GP I return home a great deal more unwell than when I left.

Apparently though, if I want to change things I have to engage in the political process or even get involved in all sorts of other communities, committees, working parties and so on. Otherwise, I am, by all accounts, to shut the **** up and pay my dues.

Broken Britain.

Steve.

Classic. I'm voting TINCA.

But however much we Love you Scuba, I agree you wouldn't be the ideal representative. Only about a quarter of the country (Midlandsy) could understand a word.

G

Last edited:
I'm not sure Richards Deb'n twang is any more understandable that my yam G.....but for me he is still the undisputed candidate..... just look how natural he in front of the camera.

Out of interest Richard, how successful were you with the Kingkerswell bypass?

Steve

[The difference being Howard,that everyone who has their bins emptied has to pay, everyone who drives has to pay, everyone with an income has to pay. With people who use our waterways not everyone has to pay.

Alex. I think you will find that ALL the angling licence fee goes into fishing related work.

70 percent of their income is from Government (ie...the taxpayer) thats everybody who contributes. Irrespective of how much they enjoy the facilities on offer.

However, I do agree there should be a fee for all river craft use on our riverine systems.

Graham

Vote TINCA and save the World

Last edited:
I'm not sure Richards Deb'n twang is any more understandable that my yam G.....but for me he is still the undisputed candidate..... just look how natural he in front of the camera.

Out of interest Richard, how successful were you with the Kingkerswell bypass?

Steve

Steve,

Oooooh, you are a naughty boy digging all that stuff out. That's the last time I'm letting you tie up in my swim for the night....:)

Its true we failed to stop the building of this bloody road but we did establish a template that other campaigners have used with great success throughout the country to protect our environment.

Any old hoo........back to the matter in hand and the BFW backed campaign to boycott the EA license. Much as I would love to front the campaign (with the backing of the Darkside) the simple truth is who is going to take any notice of an unknown angler like myself?

Exactly......nobody.

What we need to front this campaign is a known angler, a man who stands large in the angling community. A man who commands the respect and admiration of his fellow brothers of the angle. A man who is not afraid to speak out on the issues of the day, and a man who is easily translated into English.

In short we need Scuba Steve.............oh go on....you know you want to....:D

[The difference being Howard,that everyone who has their bins emptied has to pay, everyone who drives has to pay, everyone with an income has to pay. With people who use our waterways not everyone has to pay.

Understood. But the point is we do and like other taxes etc we are obliged, by law, to pay, it does not give us automatic rights as to how the money is deployed. There is a continual cycle of tension in relation to the operation of law and in particular its perceived injustice to some or many. The political framework is there of course to deal with such things and be the guardian of democracy. This framework supports and penalises in equal measure I imagine depending on your circumstances and perspective.

But I remain of the view that breaking a law, no matter how petty, is not the answer. You have to engage in the political process unfortunately. Something I personally don't have the time or stomach for. But I do applaud those that to apply themselves and engage.

Richard.
I agree with you totally on your view.

" Much as I would love to front the campaign (with the backing of the Darkside) the simple truth is who is going to take any notice of an unknown angler like myself?

Exactly......nobody.

What we need to front this campaign is a known angler, a man who stands large in the angling community. A man who commands the respect and admiration of his fellow brothers of the angle. A man who is not afraid to speak out on the issues of the day,

Graham

Don't vote for TINCA

Richard.
I agree with you totally on your view.

" Much as I would love to front the campaign (with the backing of the Darkside) the simple truth is who is going to take any notice of an unknown angler like myself?

Exactly......nobody.

What we need to front this campaign is a known angler, a man who stands large in the angling community. A man who commands the respect and admiration of his fellow brothers of the angle. A man who is not afraid to speak out on the issues of the day,

Graham

Don't vote for TINCA

Im flattered but im just to busy to sort this trivial matter out

Back