• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Very enjoyable morning on the wye 8 perch to 2lb 12 on small live baits bitten off 3 times by pike, managed 1 of 12lb 8 ozs good fun on a 1lb test curve Avon
Paul

Hi Paul,

That's a great fish from the Wye! :eek:

I've found that the Drennan 10lb wire makes absolutely no difference to my catch rate or presentation with small livebaits and means you'll land more of the pike. :)

There's also a chap on eBay selling 10m of 10lb BS unbranded wire for just £1 - it has a smooth black plastic coating so is stiffer than the Drennan and therefore more suitable for lures than livebait but is still a great bargain.

MASSIVE CLEARANCE OF PLASTIC COATED 7 STRAND TRACE WIRE.10LB - 200LB.ALSO CRIMPS | eBay

Will

Will thanks for the advice still trying to get my first 3 off the Wye couldn't catch any thing bigger that 6/8 ozs on lobs
Regards
Paul

Paul,

My Wye PB attached. 3-6 on a lobworm.

Will

999904_653127464744317_173708652_n_zps04891def.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7637786459919.jpg
    IMG_7637786459919.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 222
Some nice stripes there mucker :)

The bottom pictures - caught after dark??

Paul

Lovely fish, it's a method I would like to try. I have ultra-light gear and lures, what pattern and size hooks do you use and would swan shot be suitable as a stand in for purpose built drop-shot leads?

Andrew,

I do a fair bit of this style of angling....I use circle hooks in quite big sizes and have yet to buy a proper weight....AAA shot pinched on loosely works well:)

Back