• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Caught a few up to 2.12 recently with fat bellies (CALL THE MIDWIFE!) and a 2.7 today was oozing a little spawn. Seems a bit early yet but they are at their heaviest now!

jigging for perch

Hi Is it too late in the season to try jigging and drop shoting for perch ?
If it is when is the best time? Thanks in advance Wayne

Wayne,

Just invested in a drop shotting kit and going to have a go at the weekend so will let you know how I get on. I should not think it will be too late for the method, I am fishing a small lake not a river, not that that it will make any difference.

Had a nice brace of two's last Sunday on prawns, must take some photo's next time I catch !

ATB,

Nick

Wayne,

Just invested in a drop shotting kit and going to have a go at the weekend so will let you know how I get on. I should not think it will be too late for the method, I am fishing a small lake not a river, not that that it will make any difference.

Had a nice brace of two's last Sunday on prawns, must take some photo's next time I catch !

ATB,

Nick

Its a devasting method Nick, just vary your recovery rate and be confident, Ive had them out of the river to 4lb14 on this method on two inch rubber shads, just twitching the bait back to me, even leaving it for 5-10 seconds then moving the shad a few inches and BANG they hit it hard. Good luck

Heard mention of this 'drop shot' method a few times, but have never seen any details about exactly what it is and how it works. My first guess was that it might just be another name for the old sink and draw method...anyone care to spill the beans :D

Cheers, Dave.

David,

I've been dabbling with this method for the past 2 seasons....with a little success here and there:)

Basically, the dropshot (DS) comprises an un-weighted rubber lure/worm on a hook that sits above the weight. The rig can then be cast out on a lightweight rod and "jiggled" back, causing the rubber lure to dance:cool::cool:

As the main species for me at the moment is Perch, the method lends itself to their pursuit.

Have a go on Youtube - there are loads of video clips demonstrating the method;)

Paul

Ventured out yesterday in dire conditions, but this 2lb 7oz river-fish made it all the more worthwhile:

DSC02416e_zps1a8c12c2.jpg

Has anyone had success using soft plastic crayfish lures on canals? I'm going to order some and give them a go over the next few weeks.

Drop shotting

On my first concerted session drop shotting on Friday I caught 9 perch topped by a 3.06, 2.12 & 3 others over 2lb.
Rather than use rubber lures I fished with large lobworms. My boat partner used jelly worms and caught 11, with at least 5 over the magical 2 lb barrier up to 2.12.
Drop shot fishing really works!
Bob

Attachments

• 3,06 PB Drop shot 29.03,13.jpg
    3,06 PB Drop shot 29.03,13.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 253
  • 3,06 PB.jpg
    3,06 PB.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Hello Brian,
No I didn't use a wire trace.

I also caught 2 pike & have previously caught others, plus 2 zander. All have been well hooked in the scissors. The single fine wire hooks lead me to believe that there is very little danger to toothy predators, I hope I am not proved wrong.

My boat partner also caught 2 zander, again without any problems. Time will tell whether we need to change in the future.

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. The reason I ask is I understand how to make the set up (I think) but I cant see where the trace would go as the set up is one piece Ie a length of line (fluoro) with a hook tied palomar style then re threaded to make the hook stand at right angles.. The length of line after then goes to the sinker. Is this how you make yours?

Brian

Hi Brian,
Yes, my basic set up is pretty much as described but I do have a snood of about 4", rather than the hook straight to the line, as the Americans seem to favour.

If you wish to have a wire trace, why not utilise a small 3-swivel and also have a wire uptrace. Use an inch of shrink tube over the trace and onto the side swivel. This would help make the hooklink stand out from the line.

It is worth having a play,
Bob

Drop shotting

Hi Brian,
Just an update on the drop shot fishing for perch campaign.

My mate and I have just had our 4th session and the total between us to date is 59 decent perch, 9 of them over 3lb and the biggest at 4.01. In addition we have had 11 zander including 2 doubles & several pike to 18lb.

All, except my first session of 9 perch on lobworms, were caught on jelly lures of various shapes & sizes. Some days there was a need to ring the changes to find out which was the lure they would take.

Despite using mono or fluorocarbon hook links I was only bitten off once and then 1/2in from the single hook. It is a personal thing, but I don't have any doubt that this presents little or no danger to a pike so I will continue to use it.

I have no doubt that this is a great method to fish and when I have honed my techniques I think it could be even more successful in the future. My advice is GIVE IT A GO.
Bob

Attachments

• 3.05 02.04.13.jpg
    3.05 02.04.13.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Back