• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otters

Nice to see that lady at the end reminding everyone that otters are sacred. Just in case we'd forgotten, of course...

Who will care outside angling, warm furry will win over cold and scaley.

There must be a scientist that will bring out a potion that you can introduce that make otters and crayfish infertile.

:D

As my late dad said...how do ye make a camel take in water....two flat rocks on his meat and two veg....might work on otters that will make em infertile lol

They are here to stay, they will spread to most river systems soon enough ,and there,s Nothiing we can do about "THEM". I,ve given up caring, I,ll fish for whats there, not what used to be there! Even the most unlikely habitats will be populated, IE the Lower, heavily populated Thames and tributaries, they are there now, Chertsey meads, river mole, for sure, colne etc, maybe, but coming soon!!!
Fishing for the likes of barbel will change, just face the facts, overpopulated fisheries are a great food supply, no top of the chain predator will ignore an easy meal, assuming the EE netters don,t get there first!!!!!!!!
peter

Hmm.

Something here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13684482 from earlier today - 63% of 1,000 people polled against a badger cull...

I reckon a similar poll about the otter would go 75%-plus and leave Anglers looking not merely selfish fools but also suitable candidates for universal public contempt.

That's all very interesting but here is an extra coal (or two) to fuel the fire.

Under the Water Framework Directive, which both central government and the EA have accepted must be met.
One of the key indicators of a riverine's status, is it's fish population; both diversity and biomass.

And on the basis that the EA can't improve our rivers, which looking at them in the south/south east region, there is nothing to suggest they will improve them.

Who knows, it maybe the EA wanting them dead?:rolleyes:

"Selfish" and if a re-introduction scheme was dreamt up for wolves, would the farmer wanting his sheep, cattle and pigs protecting, be equally "selfish"?
And what of the wanters of re-introduction of beavers; who is guilty of the selfish act there, the pro or anti re-introduction sects?

Last edited:
Not trying to be personal, Colin, but are you "on something" / haven't taken the necessary medication, as I rather lost you when you suggested that the Illuminati Lizards in the E.A. wanted otters dead...

Paul, I'm upto date on my all meds and am perfectly lucid, thank you for your concern.

I've edited my previous post to include a smiley, as my sarcasm eluded you.

No comment on which parties are selfish or selfless then?

I will add; I don't think for anyone will ever get licenced to cull otters but many will IMO be trapped and placed back in captivity.

Last edited:
Not a clue, Colin, but I do suspect that if you somehow managed to be on all barbel-infested rivers all of the time, otters as a species might lose the will to live. Just a thought...

Not a clue, Colin, but I do suspect that if you somehow managed to be on all barbel-infested rivers all of the time, otters as a species might lose the will to live. Just a thought...

Paul, I'm shocked, no, disappointed with you; no answer to such a simple question.

No fear of me becoming a single species angler, I can't imagine anything more insipid. As for "barbel-infested rivers" - most of my first choice rivers are anything but, sadly not even fish infested (of any species).
And I don't blame otters, though if the selfless do-gooders that felt the need to aftificially increase their numbers had put some effort into improving the otters habitat, perhaps we would have all been hailing the re-introductions.

And why would otters lose the will to live? Its not like they'd have to endure your inane rants of nothingness while you put coarse angling in its place.

Last edited:
Not trying to be personal, Colin, but are you "on something" / haven't taken the necessary medication, as I rather lost you when you suggested that the Illuminati Lizards in the E.A. wanted otters dead...

Without sounding disrepectful Paul, you can be hardly a critique of someone's opinion when you mention " are you on something Colin" I find you rather wonderful meanderings either interesting or a throw back from something that woodstock would bring up in the 60's under at least acid.........pm for you may I have your dealer's contact details please.

Part quote from Colin in the reply
"And I don't blame otters, though if the selfless do-gooders that felt the need to aftificially increase their numbers had put some effort into improving the otters habitat, perhaps we would have all been hailing the re-introductions"

Isn't this the point "someone" has introduced otters to a lot of systems that cannot cope with them, comorants,crayfish and abstraction you name it is already present, otters are just the icing on the cake and rather a convienient furry animal we can all love.........or hate!

Without wishing to appear disrepectful, Adam, Colin Gordon has something of a track record when it comes to otters / predators and me: my least contentious posting about them has received his attention, some of it unncecessarily unpleasant and personal. So, last night, I was merely "heading the guy off at the pass" (as they used to say in old Westerns), before he went down it and really got started.

Who will care outside angling, warm furry will win over cold and scaley.

There must be a scientist that will bring out a potion that you can introduce that make otters and crayfish infertile.
In the case of the Otter they already did. The pesticides which prevented them reproducing led directly to the major decline in population and near extinction. Making those chemicals illegal also led to the rapid and widespread recovery of the otter population.

The Chairman on Thursday

Bring back DDT, I say! When it was around and freely in use, there were far fewer cars, roads and people (and those few there were had cleft palates, missing digits or webbed feet). Oh dear, I feel a song coming on ...

"Memories, light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories of the way we were.
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind
smiles we give to one another
for the way we were.
Can it be that it was all so simple then
or has time rewritten every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
tell me would we? Could we?"

No, it seems that we can't now. Blahdy trendy-wendy bunnyhugging sandal-eaters!

As ever,

B.B.

Without sounding disrepectful Paul, you can be hardly a critique of someone's opinion when you mention " are you on something Colin" I find you rather wonderful meanderings either interesting or a throw back from something that woodstock would bring up in the 60's under at least acid.........pm for you may I have your dealer's contact details please.

Part quote from Colin in the reply
"And I don't blame otters, though if the selfless do-gooders that felt the need to aftificially increase their numbers had put some effort into improving the otters habitat, perhaps we would have all been hailing the re-introductions"

Isn't this the point "someone" has introduced otters to a lot of systems that cannot cope with them, comorants,crayfish and abstraction you name it is already present, otters are just the icing on the cake and rather a convienient furry animal we can all love.........or hate!

Adam, that's you entered into Paul's "they hate me" "I am a victim" files.

Thing is Paul believes I am anti-otter, which could not be further from the truth. Like the quote you used of mine states, surely the first and most crucial criteria prior to a species re-introduction, would be to thoroughly investigate the habitats suitability and sustainability before re-introducing, both for the species being re-introduced and the bio-diversity already in situ.

Off on one your "I'm a victim" jags again, I see, Gordon. You and those like you clearly don't like being defeated in polite, honest debate.

Back