• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otters

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure, I think it's one of the NW clubs (not paas). I used to poach it with the intention of pleading ignorance but tbh I never saw another soul down there but then one day there was a lock on the gate and new signs so I never bothered again.
I had one or two good fish from there but not many numbers however, the pike fishing in the confluence was great, especially when it used to back up in flood and the silvers would use it as a refuge.
Many years ago it did a salmon which had it been reported and claimed would have beaten Miss Ballantines Wye record. It was said to weigh 65 pounds and is 53 inches from nose to fork. Although never claimed (probably because it was poached) it was set up and sat on a sideboard in a farmhouse for years until it was 'discovered' on a house clearance sale. It's now in the Tenant’s Parlour in Attingham hall.

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure, I think it's one of the NW clubs (not paas). I used to poach it with the intention of pleading ignorance but tbh I never saw another soul down there but then one day there was a lock on the gate and new signs so I never bothered again.
I had one or two good fish from there but not many numbers however, the pike fishing in the confluence was great, especially when it used to back up in flood and the silvers would use it as a refuge.
Many years ago it did a salmon which had it been reported and claimed would have beaten Miss Ballantines Wye record. It was said to weigh 65 pounds and is 53 inches from nose to fork. Although never claimed (probably because it was poached) it was set up and sat on a sideboard in a farmhouse for years until it was 'discovered' on a house clearance sale. It's now in the Tenant’s Parlour in Attingham hall.

Just a little correction Ade.... Georgina Ballantines Record came from the River Tay in Perthshire..... Which is in Scotland ;) ..... Bloody Saesnachs trying tae nick oor Salmon noo :D

Just a little correction Ade.... Georgina Ballantines Record came from the River Tay in Perthshire..... Which is in Scotland ;) ..... Bloody Saesnachs trying tae nick oor Salmon noo :D

I knew that.......I've no idea why I said the Wye other than it's been on my mind a bit lately.;)

Miss Doreen Davy, 59.5 pounds, River Wye, 1923.

They've been there for weeks, fishing the rapids by the Myton and Mermaid.
When its low like this you can often see the salmon lying along the stanchions of the old bridge waiting for a bit of a lift in the levels to get them over the shallow gravels upstream of the bridges.

if we we leave them alone, do you think they'll eat all the fish that swim, all the crayfish, crabs etc. then all just die of starvation.................in my dreams

I have read some of the posts re Otters. I remember many years ago a similar debate regarding the Zander. It was an equally immotive debate and a great deal of mud was slung. However they have now found there niche and the same will happen with the Otter it will just take time. Yes we are all ****ed off but nature abhores a vacuum and the otter is filling that vacuum. Things will sort themselves out its a case of taking practicle matters to insure fish stocks and then sitting on your hands. Sorry but thats the way it is and it will not change in theshort term

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has already posted this, as I really can't be bothered to read through yet another Otter thread, but the latest edition of the barbel society's magazine contains a very good article about the whole Otter thing, by Pete Reading.
Containing merely facts and no hype/panic/scaremongering nonsense, makes for some interesting reading, I would urge anyone interested to try and get hold of a copy.

I think it was Lymm back then as well Steve but it was pretty well deserted, I used to leave an old bank stick in the swim as a marker, anglers can't resist a found item, if it was still there on my next visit I took that as a sign that no one had visited, I never lost one.

Hi men,

The owner of a really nice carp syndicate I used to be a member of had waived his money this season , and the revenue from members is being put back into otter netting . Win win for members , but the owner know that a lake is only worth as much as the fish that's in there , unlike the lake up the valley that lost fish over 40lb .

Hatter

Back