• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otter Devestation??

As suggested much earlier in this thread, with the help of some (and the support and backing of the E.A, AT & of course BFW), we have set up an Anglers Observations Page. You can connect to it via this link and I shall keep you informed over the coming weeks of the progress...Submit

Well done Shaun, whatever happens now, whether the site is effective or not, you can hold your head up and say 'I did my bit, I put the effort in'. Good man.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Dave, it really is true that - collectively - we see and hear more of what goes on aound our rivers than anyone else. So it has got to be worth keeping a collective record? No individual would be able to get the info that we are all capable of recording together. So please everyone try to contribute...

Hello Shaun. I've been a river fisherman all my life and running water fishing is very dear to me. Despite what the EA claim, many of our rivers are a shadow of their former selves. Over the last five years or so, there seems to be a marked decline in barbel numbers. Probably many factors have contributed to this but based on the number of tail damaged barbel that I see it's hard not to lay a portion of the blame on otters. Up until 2000, I had seen about four or five otters on the river where I live - over the last month, I've seen that many! I recently had a conversation with an EA employee and he said that improved habitat and stricter controls on the use of chemicals were reasons for increase in otter numbers. Well, the Severn was stuffed with fish in the seventies compared with now. Nowadays there are countless drains, culverts and ditches dumping goodness knows what into the river and yet as if by magic, otters appear all over the place. We all know that there has been a concerted campaign by well meaning, misguided individuals who thought that it would be a good idea to release otters into rivers all over the country and bugger the consequences. Remember, otters don't just eat fish, they will scoff water birds such as grebes, moorhens etc and I daresay the now rare water vole will provide them with the equivalent of an a la carte snack!

This is an emotive subject and given the fact that 'the great British public' are succours for furry, whiskered animals, I'm not sure what the answer is. We either do nothing or we voice our concerns, and I know which camp I support.

PS Shaun - in case you don't remember me. we met on the Severn last Saturday at Shrewsbury. I would love to have had more time to talk. Needless to say, I support your initiative and can supply you with lots of photo evidence of barbel with chunks taken out of their tails by otters - but as well all know, they are the lucky ones and have survived an attack, just how many have been killed is impossible to estimate!

Hello Shaun,
Good luck with what your doing..I am afraid at some point shaun, you will realise that no amount of campaigns by anyone will change a thing regarding Otters..
Even if your study with many others, found that indeed Otters were the main culprit for the Barbels demise, the Otter would still remain.
Protected worldwide, signed up by all world leaders etc...Like I said shaun, good luck..

Thanks for the well wishes anyway Craig...though this is not just about one protected furry creature.
Yes Roger I remember you and enjoyed our chat, I did pm you last week but not sure it ever got to you? I shall try again...and yes photo`s would be most useful, the more recent, the better.

Back